Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flycav.com

Very weird graphics issue

Guest Flycav

So I just got back into FS after a bit of a hiatus...I'm running Windows 7 x86 on a Core 2 Duo E6750 with 2GB of RAM and an NVIDIA 9800GTX. FSX seemed a bit sluggish during my flight today (I have it tweaked to a reasonable degree), and then just had a massive failure at the end. Usually I just get the occaisional freeze or CTD...today it didn't crash on me, but I got a very weird graphics issue on final approach.If I were to re-format and install Win7 x64 (and upgrade the RAM from 2GB to maybe 4 or 6), would that help? I mean, this graphics card is more than enough for FSX to run decently, come on.http://j.imagehost.org/view/0106/fsscr010

Guest 413X3

some of your tweaks 99% of the time are causing crashing freezing and graphic display issues.

If I were to re-format and install Win7 x64 (and upgrade the RAM from 2GB to maybe 4 or 6), would that help? I mean, this graphics card is more than enough for FSX to run decently, come on.
Yeah, the 64 bit version of Win7 should help, along with at least 4gb ram or more.Looking at the picture, the autogen settings are too high and it's causing your system to barf, in a big way. Even with x64 and 6gb I would look to scale the settings back some. Your C2D can only do so much, especially if you're flying heavy iron.

Guest Flycav
Yeah, the 64 bit version of Win7 should help, along with at least 4gb ram or more.Looking at the picture, the autogen settings are too high and it's causing your system to barf, in a big way. Even with x64 and 6gb I would look to scale the settings back some. Your C2D can only do so much, especially if you're flying heavy iron.
Damn it...I was worried someone would say that. The OCZ RAM that I've got is DDR2 800, but it's not carried much anymore, and mixing RAM sticks with different timing/voltages definitely isn't a good idea.I wish I had the $1000-1500 to drop on a new system, else I would GLADLY go with a new Core i7. But if its going to cost me about $100 for just one new 4GB kit (leaving me with two old 1GB RAM sticks that I can't use!), it might be more worth it to build a new PC if I can find the funds.

Guest 413X3

follow the tweaking tips, don't use AI, and tone down your settings and you will tweak FSX to be very playable.

Damn it...I was worried someone would say that. The OCZ RAM that I've got is DDR2 800, but it's not carried much anymore, and mixing RAM sticks with different timing/voltages definitely isn't a good idea.
My comments are from when I had a C2D, they may or may not apply to your system? When I went from 2gb to 4gb the ram was down-clocked to 667, due to the chipset on the mobo. So you might want to go through your mobo manual and see how 4gb might work. I don't know that increasing the ram and applying the "memory tweak" for virtual memory address, coupled with your 32bit Win7 won't end up doing the job for you. But I would be a little more conservative on the autogen, as FSX gives that rendering priority and too much could still make the system barf.Newegg carries some OCZ memory that sounds like it might be similar? Second on the list;http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050001550%20600006107&IsNodeId=1&name=OCZ%20TechnologyAnd just for reference, I ran a 9800GTX+ in the C2D box and it worked very well. Right now it's working with my i7 and may get replaced come Christmas time...

I first saw the problem you are having when I installed the 170,XX driver on a 8800GTX card. The 170.xx for Vista 32, and XP 32, caused black vertical spikes from trees to sky on external pan and more flashing textures. Rolled back to the 169.21/169.25 and everything cleared up. Every new version has caused the same problem so it is the drivers, for sure, for sure. Turning the frame lock from unlimited to locked 30 helped.On my new rig I use FPSLimiter locked at 29 and unlimited set in FSX. No more spikes! I can start FSX without FPSLimiter and see the same spikes as you.Intel Core I7 975 Quadcore OC @ 3.75 Ghz (Air)Asus P6T DLX V2 X58 1366, BD Combo Plextor B310SA6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866C7GTHIS ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 24", Saitek X-52 ProLogitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G15 Keyboard, G5 MouseThermaltake Element S Case, Corsair 850HX PSUC: Intel 80GB SSD w/Windows 7 Home 64D: WD 300GB Velocity Raptor w/FSX+Accel+GEX, F4AFE: WD 1TB Caviar Black w/Data SH4