Sign in to follow this  
Sawydz

How to prevent FSX from using two monitors?

Hi, does anyone know if there's is a way to prevent FSX from using two monitors? I wanted to check the Aivla EFB, but whenever I run FSX, secondary monitor starts to display black screen.Thanks.

Hi Grzegorz, There isn't any way to do this in full screen mode unfortunately. FS9 we could because of the way it used the DirectX window. With FSX, even with montiors hooked up to other video cards they are still being run from the same Operating system so therefore the DX window will still be drawn or take all complete and available real estate.A while back I was going to try creating a virtual machine just so I could get FSWidgets (EFB) to work in full screen but could not. I even exchanged emails with the developer for over a week with ideas that never worked.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Dan, thanks for info. I have avoided this "issue" by runnig it in windowed mode, changing "Active Title Bar" color to black and setting Taskbar to auto-hide, not very elegant but works wink.gif Now I wonder if there is any way to prevent FSX from muting the sound when it's window is not active?

It's funny but I found a glitch with getting the sound back but doesn't work 100% of the time. I used to always run in windowed mode and be either using EFB or looking at charts but wanted to hear ATC or crew messages. With my browser or EFB selected (the focus of windows) I used the change view button on my controller and would sometimes get the audio back even though something else was selected. The focus remained off of FSX but I got my sound back. I haven't been able to replicate it since my last install but technically the reason the sound is locked to the focus on FSX is again because of the DirectX window and the use of Direct Sound I believe.I look forward to getting my laptop back from my friend so I can network it to once again use my EFB in full screen mode. I hope PMDG are still thinking of creating an EFB for NGX. Since it will be part of the actual sim it shouldn't have the issue of running in full screen (fingers crossed).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

OK, big thanks Dan, I see that I will have to live somehow with that sound and windowed mode, because if You try EFB once then You want it all time...Thanks!rolleyes.gif

This is another reason why WideFS is awesome. I ran the EFB on my laptop using WideFS, along with RC4, Active Sky Evo., FSFlight Keeper, FSC. I used EFB for their demo try and just never got around to buying it and use it again after my demo month expired. I really did enjoy it, epsecially when flying those airports that charts are not so easily available.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I have only used FSWidgets EFB and they have a network version but yes, WideFS is a great thing to have and anyone buying the registered FSUIPC should spare the extra couple bucks when buying it to get the package, even if you don't see yourself using it. Having a computer networked for addons is a great plus for lots of addons.I can't find a link for Aivla EFB to check it out. One thing I love about the EFB other than reading charts is the ability to modify the ini file for weather. I can just enter the picture properties from a web site like weather.com and since the picture will always have the same name will always see the latest weather.Example being this picture below is now listed in my EFB as "USA Extended Forecast". I have about 100 links I can check out anything from Airport conditions, Alerts, you name it. It adds so much to the sim I can't live without it.us_wxhi1_large_usen_600.jpgIf you check back periodically you'll notice this picture will stay updated from them automatically. There are thousands of these available for every region and when flying real world weather it is simply awesome to have on your EFB.I also like the GMAP, which gives me a google map satellite view including my route. It's a moving map unlike some programs that you need to manual refresh. They even have this now for cel phones and Ipods haha.*Another thing I love about EFB's is the Checklists. They basically read the checklists already in FSX and you select them. It's no different than having the default Kneeboard really but is nice to have it all in one spot.

Dan Prunier

Here's link to AivlaSoft, there's 30 day trial demo so You can check it out if You wan't, I'll definitely check the FSWidgets demo.

Cool, I'll check it out right now. Once you install it there will be a file "EFBFSX.ini" in your C:\Users\Dan(your name)\AppData\Roaming\FSWidgets\EFBFSX folder. This is where you can change all the weather links if your not happy with the defaults (unless they updated the demo from when I used it, there were a lot of broken links).One other thing is GMAP is a separate but free download if you want the moving map.*I don't know if the Demo was updated but there was a problem with it being able to read the .png extension that a lot of weather pictures are saved as. I got an update from the developer directly so let me know if you need it.

Dan Prunier

Cool, I'll check it out right now. Once you install it there will be a file "EFBFSX.ini" in your C:\Users\Dan(your name)\AppData\Roaming\FSWidgets\EFBFSX folder. This is where you can change all the weather links if your not happy with the defaults (unless they updated the demo from when I used it, there were a lot of broken links).One other thing is GMAP is a separate but free download if you want the moving map.*I don't know if the Demo was updated but there was a problem with it being able to read the .png extension that a lot of weather pictures are saved as. I got an update from the developer directly so let me know if you need it.
Aviliasofts EFB is really cool, and it takes Navigraph updates, so you can keep it current. Also has a checklist feature.Has some limitations, but is really great for those airports that I dont have charts for. After all this talk, I may have to go over there and buy that full version already. But I am going to check out FSWIdgets demo first, see how all that works with the WX features.

This is pretty cool, although the lack of weather is a killer for me. Being able to edit the ini with any picture on the net I think puts FSW on top for me still. Although I really do like the in game menu. I just started fiddling with it so still giving it a thorough test. Now time to see what freedom it has in manual tweaking/editing/hacking (not hacking in the crack sence, but as stated above :wink)OH, no moving map? That is a huge one for me.

Dan Prunier

On as side note, Grzegorz, if you see a performance hit in windowed mode, try setting the windows theme to classic (if you don't mind to do without aero, that is). I read it somewhere in the past and works wonders for me

Dan, today I had time only for quick look over FSW, and it looks really impressive, a lot of data in one place, but the build in charts and moving map of Aivla impress me either. I'll have to choose one and it will be hard choice.Dario, that's exactly what I did at the very beginning, but I did it to "hide" the app window by setting it's color to black, so I didn't have time to notice any performance hit wink.gifEDIT:Dario, do You know if Aivla is capable of showing additional, more detailed charts from Navigraph, or what I see in demo is it's limits?

Sorry mate, no idea

Dario, do You know if Aivla is capable of showing additional, more detailed charts from Navigraph, or what I see in demo is it's limits?

I think it has the ability to act as some sort of file manager, where you can look up manuals and charts stored on your computer, but since Navigraph's sad excuse for simulator charts can only be viewed using the nDAC, I am not sure that would be possible.The navigraph updates you get for the EFB are procedures like those for FMS', only it is decoded to present a visual view for you. That is why some of the limitations for it come to being, like initial vectors, and no minimum informations etc.