Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Change screenshot file format?

Pressing the standard "v" key, renders an FSX screenshot in .bmp format. The problem is that the files are huge-- like 6 or 7 meg in size. Is there anyway to have FSX natively render the screenshots in .jpg form, without me having to manually convert them? Thanks

Guest JamesMc

I'd suggest using a screen shot program to do your shots. Most of the freeware options give you the choice of format to save.I use SNAPPER.

Pressing the standard "v" key, renders an FSX screenshot in .bmp format. The problem is that the files are huge-- like 6 or 7 meg in size. Is there anyway to have FSX natively render the screenshots in .jpg form, without me having to manually convert them? Thanks
ANother good program for viewing and resizing is IRFANVIEW - and it's freeware.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ANother good program for viewing and resizing is IRFANVIEW - and it's freeware.
Excellent tool for resizing, cropping, annotating, and saving in various formats.

I just use Irfanview... The easiest method I found does involve converting, but is very easy once you've done it the first time.  It works well for me because I LOVE to take screenshots (perhaps too much)

once you have irfanview it will do batch conversions or re-sizing whatever.  it also will save to a different folder if you wish or can overwrite within the input folder. I prefer to have FSX save the BMPs to the folder it uses and batch convert to JPG in a different folder. I can then just delete the BMP files in the original folder so it is empty for the next series of screenshots. This way you know it will not contain files that have already been converted to the preferred format. Irfanview will automatically save your conversion preferances so the next time you need to convert a batch you can simply select all the BMP files in the input folder and click "start batch" when it is finished you just delete the BMP files and you're ready for the next round. its quick and easy once you do the initial setup of preferances. This program is also good if you want to upload screenshots to a host that limits file size or pixel count. you can create a folder called uploadables, or thumbnails, and just convert a batch to a preset file size or dimension chosen by you. then the entire batch is exactly how you or the host site want it, and the process is fast and easy. And BTW, it converts the files very quickly, with no loss of image quality. (not that I've seen anyway..)

I have used Grabber2k for the past 14 years, as it is the most flexible and easily configured TSR 'screen grab programs' I've ever seen.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I use a combination of PicPic and Irfranview (Silently)

In PicPic I set in the "Capture" Tab -

Output Type = External Program

Checked - Always copy captured image to clipboard

In the "Auto Save" tab, "External Program Setup" -

Program Path = E:\IrfanView\i_view32.exe   <-- Your path to IrfranView

Parameter =  /clippaste /crop=(1443,62,1357,684) /resize=(1357,0) /aspectratio /resample /sharpen=10 /convert=D:\My Pictures\FS_SCREENSHOTS\PP_OUTPUT\Screen_$U(%m%d%Y_%H%M%S).jpg /killmesoftly

See "i_options.txt" in the IrfanView program folder for more options.

The hot key I have setup as "PrtScn" 

Once I hit PrtScn IrfranView silently opens up, crops the image, resizes it (param is there, I have set to same size) , sharpens it a bit, converts to .jpg with the name "Screen_ MDY_HMS" and saves where I want - PP_OUTPUT, it then shuts down. I never see anything of the IrfranView program running.

As an option I can do both things, have PICPIC save an untouched full screen capture (in JPG) along with having Infranview do any processing I may want..  This is done by setting up options in the "File Name" tab of PicPic and also checking "Automatically Save Images" along with a path in the "Auto Save" tab of PicPic.

It took a bit of experimenting but my outputs from processing in Infranview removes the upper title bar, any upper single line messages & any lower messages. ("Brake, Overspeed, Stall")

All in all a nice, and powerful setup with just about all the options available of batch converting in IrfranView.

Edit - Oh boy, I see this got "necroed" from 2010 :lol: , Oh well.     

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap