Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton_

FS9 crashes. All the time.

Hi,well... it's been mentioned before: FS9 is, also on my system, totally unusable. Either when starting it, or after pressing the 'fly now' button, or in flight, my system freezes completely. Can't even use anymore, I have to reset the computer.I've reinstalled WinXP twice last week, and FS9 at least 10 times. I've tried with DirectX 9.0a and 9.0b. I've tried with different videocard drivers, with and without XP Service Pack 1 (and other Windows Update-patches), with my soundcard disabled etc. etc. etc. Still no joy. So, if anyone has a suggestion on what I can do next that does not involve returning FS9 to the shops (I really want to fly it), please let me know!My system:- Asus P4B533-E mainboard (Intel chipset)- Latest BIOS version (1015 IIRC)- Intel P4 2.43 GHz- Maxtor 60 GB harddisk, in RAID 1+0 config.- 1024 MB RAM 266- Ti4200 videocard, 45.23 drivers. IIRC the videocard is from Gainward.- SoundBlaster Audigy- running WinXP Dutch version with all updatesPerhaps, if everyone with these problems posts his or her specs, we may be able to find a common problem with the setup somewhere. Considering that so many people don't have problems, it can't be only a bug in this software - IMHO it must be another kind of incompatibilty somewhere.Cheers!Gert

Guest SoarPics

Hi Gert,How long have you had that video card? There was some bad memory that Gainward got stuck with a few months ago, and some of it ended up being used on their GF4 4200 cards. If you've been using it without problems for a while we can probably rule it out as a source of the problems (Gainward makes great cards... owned a couple myself).

Hi Greg,the card is about a year old now - had my computer in September last year.I should also mention that I never had a problem with FS2002, or IL-2 Forgotten Battles, of Flanker 2 - or any of the other games I have.

Guest SoarPics

Sounds like your vRam should be the good stuff. More info about PSU? Is heat an issue... how are your temps (though that CPU should throttle back, but heat may be affecting the video card and/or memory).Greg

CPU temp doesn't exceed 47 deg C (135 F). That shouldn't be a problem. Also, it happens while I try to start up FS9 - before the CPU has the chance to really warm up.I've also tried it with the NoCD crack BTW - this seems to help with the startup hanging (tried only twice so far), but not with the hanging during splash screen or with the crash when flying.

Legend,When I see that someone has reinstalled their OS and are having problems, especially with graphics intensive programs, I always ask, "Did you install the MOBO controller chip drivers, i.e., Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi? Either check with the MOBO vendor, computer vendor, or look in Device Manager for the controller chip vendor.Try running, DirectX Diagnostic, press start, run..., type dxdiag, OK. Let it stabilize, then check each tab for errors and use the test functions. Do you have Directdraw, Direct3d, and AGP accelerations enabled? If not, see first paragraph above.W. Sieffert

When you reinstalled FS04 did you uninstall it first ?? And if so were there any remnants of it ?? I.E. *.cfgs ?Maybe try deleting the scenery.cfg and the FS9.cfg from the C:Documents and SettingsBlah BlahApplication DataMicrosoftFS9 folder and let FS rebuild them upon the first run.. Regards,RomanGREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest Hugo

You have 1024 MB ram onboard. If those are 2 x 512 MB, take 1 off and see if the problems still persist. Check with the 2 of them one at the time.I had 768 Mb and was crashing all of the time. I took the 256 out and now its much better. Only occasional and when I go Online :-(. Still working on it though. Did not have this probs on 2K2Hugo

Hugo, kindly go to the refrigerator and help yourself to a large glass of beer! It seems RAM was the problem. I have two 256MB (this was installed when I bought the computer), and two months ago I added a 512MB bank. Never had problems until now. Fortunately the other programs I run don't seem to notice 256MB is suddenly missing ;)I removed one of the 256 MB and now it runs very smooth. Haven't had a problem since I removed it - about 10 flights so far. Have a solid 20 FPS even with all graphics options maxed out.Guys, thanx for all other suggestions. Gert

Hi All, I was happy, as you can see in my post above, but unhappily the problem is back, I tried to install the patch again ,tweak with DirectX sliders with no success.It

Hamilton Müller