Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

What Sims do we all use?

181 members have voted

1. 1. What simulators do we all use these days?

• FS9
    • FSX
    • FS9/FSX (Dual User)
    • X-Plane

You must be kidding right?
Yes I am, up to a point. But the point I am trying to make still is there, there are other kinds of sims out there besides just flight sims.
Seeing this is AVSIM and AVSIM mostly deals with FLIGHTSIMS and the choices are FLIGHTSIMS, I think that most people will be able to figure out how to vote!
See above.

Yes I am, up to a point. But the point I am trying to make still is there, there are other kinds of sims out there besides just flight sims.See above.I don't only fly civilian aviation flight sims, but when I do it's normally FSX (which I voted for) or X-Plane.
The point of this poll started from a discussion of the validity of the FS9 market today. This poll is just about aviation sims alone. That being said it's really about FSX and FS9 but someone said include X-Plane as Caranado has shifted gears to that sim. iFly has shooken up, proven, and validated what we have been saying all along that the FS9 market is not dead as some would have us believe. I personally thought there were more dual simmers (FSX/FS9) than simmers partial to one version. I was wrong... Everyone who voted in the other polls said we should have everyone vote in one poll to conclusively see dual or single users so here it is. Another option was to say what sim will most buy add-ons for but I don't feel that's necessary for the simple fact that the sim one uses will be the sim one supports with addon dollars. Now comes the question as to what sim (FSX or FS9) simmers will purchase add-ons for the most. I think we already know the answer to that. One sim developers can make anything they want and people buy versus a choosy customer base where developers can't make anything they personally choose, throw it out there, and expect it to sell. I can understand going with the path of least resistance and thanks to iFly that's the real story. If both markets are equally vibrant and a developer is not selling to one, it's the product not the market surrounding that particular sim...There's also the point of new technology and so much work bringing the FSX version to market but maybe the 'one size fits all' model doesn't work anymore. Thought has to go into what would sell well for each Sim (Flight! is going to be no different). An MD11 would sell well for FSX where as a 737NG would sell well for FS9, VC only models work well in most cases for FSX users where as 2D panel options work best for the FS9 version. :(

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest SJD
Another option was to say what sim will most buy add-ons for but I don't feel that's necessary for the simple fact that the sim one uses will be the sim one supports with addon dollars.
Sorry, but that's just not true. There was a period where I was playing FS9 and FSX in roughly equal amounts and at that time I would have picked the FS9/FSX poll option. However, in terms of add-ons, I wouldn't have considered buying FS9 add-ons at that point as I knew I would be retiring FS9 much earlier than FSX and the type and quality of add-ons available for FSX was more in line with my tastes.If you want to ask what platform people are more willing to buy add-ons for, just ask that question outright. All this vague dancing around the point you're struggling to make just muddies the waters.

The point I'm trying to make is just saying Sims could mean any number of sims, not just flight sims. Even if this is AVSIM, you need to realize that not all of us are pure flight simmers. You also need to remember that someone will not only select MSFS or X-Plane, there should have been a combination for that. You need to specify.

Sorry, but that's just not true. There was a period where I was playing FS9 and FSX in roughly equal amounts and at that time I would have picked the FS9/FSX poll option. However, in terms of add-ons, I wouldn't have considered buying FS9 add-ons at that point as I knew I would be retiring FS9 much earlier than FSX and the type and quality of add-ons available for FSX was more in line with my tastes.If you want to ask what platform people are more willing to buy add-ons for, just ask that question outright. All this vague dancing around the point you're struggling to make just muddies the waters.
I actually agree with much of what your saying here but it's best to wait now before putting up another poll unless it's on another FS site. If I could change the English here to be more in line with what your stating I would. We all talked about this in other threads and this is what people felt the poll should ask. Your right maybe just cut to the chase and ask outright what sim would most people purchase for. Again it stated off as a discussion about single versus dual sim users, then the conversation evolved based on the success of iFly the FS9 market, from there we are here with the big question what sim would people buy add-ons for. Like I said and iFly is proving that FS9 users won't buy whatever a developer puts out, it has to be something collectively they asked for or hasn't been done before. That's why the PMDG 737NGX wouldn't have a problem on our side of the fence and iFly is proving that. Now the MD11 on the other hand was protested against just like the CLS 767 was. These products then turned around and didn't sell well as FS9er's already had Simmersky's MD11 (I know no comparison but we had it) and Level-D's 767, we didn't want yet another rendition of the same bird when there's so many more models to do in the world (I asked CLS to update their A300/310 for example which many were asking for, they turned around and developed another 767 stating they knew what they were doing now their FSX only because the thing didn't sell). PMDG was the only real game in town for the 737NG (forget Ariane) which is why we wanted an update. The whole community was asking for it just like we're asking for the Caranado F33A and Caravan. Lack of sales of the preceding effort that went against customer's request, needs, and desires was met with PMDG and Caranado dropping FS9.The bottom line is the days are gone of 10 different version of KLAX and expecting people to keep buying it. On the FS9 side of the tracks that's not happening unless it's free. I won't buy another KMDW with FlyTampa's version on my system but I will buy a payware version of ZBAA (none exist). Feelthere is a great example of a developer that can be successful with FS9 (and they are) because no one else will do a or has produced a CRJ, 737-200, EMB, and/or ERJ for FS9. If a developer wants to do the same location and/or aircraft another developer has done over and over again (well or not) FSX is the best place for them. If a developer has a unique product FS9 simmers will embrace it especially if it's something highly requested. GA is a wild card as I can't explain why Ron of Eaglesoft has expressed problems with lack of sales of his FS9 products. Then there's the pirating issue that the whole community has to get a hand on in general. Here's the break down, any developer wishing to do a 717, Global Express, detailed ZBAA, or outstanding redition of the the 737-200/300 to name a few will sell well in FS9. If they want to do yet another Citation X, 744, 767, or KLAX might do well to stick with FSX development...

FS2020 

Well, I think despite the actual numbers one can agree that since FSX was released the simming community has been fractured into several smaller pieces. Feel sorry for the developers trying to cover all their bases as in many cases they have to double their workload.What I think... is now that MS Flight has been announced there is even more hesitation on the simmer's part (maybe developers too?). For example, here I am close to building a new "simming machine". I tell myself this is mainly for FS9 but I am sure I would begin to dabble into FSX. Who knows, I may have slowly converted over completely. But now with the MS announcement I may just stick to FS9 and skip over FSX until FSNext is release. Perhaps there are many FS9 simmers thinking the same thing. MS Flight may not be released for 12 months or two years but just the announcement has put a "pause" in my purchasing habits. Hopefully MS Flight will be the FSX we all wanted and once again the community can migrate in mass numbers over to a single platform and minimize the endless comparing and bickering - but again we a strange breed so I'm sure it will continue even after MS FLight, ha!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hopefully MS Flight will be the FSX we all wanted
That is exactly what I hope for! I've been with MFS since its beginning and know every next edition. Although each was some kind of progress (how else could it be?), not each was a breakthrough.Of all these I find FS9 definitely best with the right balance of offered options, existing addons and in-sim performance. In my personal reception (I deeply respect every different opion) FSX was a huge miss of expectations.Not that it is bad! It's just something very different from what I expected. But I am, and will always be, far from calling any FSX user a moron, or just suggesting he or she is wrong in his decision. And we all have seen a lot of such childish fight. :rolleyes:Peace to all flying friends and let's enjoy the poll results with a bit of distance to what it proves or not.

Of all these I find FS9 definitely best with the right balance of offered options, existing addons and in-sim performance. In my personal reception (I deeply respect every different opion) FSX was a huge miss of expectations.Not that it is bad! It's just something very different from what I expected. But I am, and will always be, far from calling any FSX user a moron, or just suggesting he or she is wrong in his decision.
And for the similar reason of personal expectations, I find FSX to be better than FS9. My computer is able to run FSX well at very high settings (think 80% MyTraffic, road traffic, texture resolution better than 1m, shadowing, light bloom, etc) which all together combine to make it more immersive for me than FS9, even if there's a dearth of add-ons. Truth be told, if the little differences didn't add up to something I liked better than FS9, I'd have uninstalled FSX already.Not that I mind that others don't feel the same. You like what you like, I'm not simming on your computer, and what sim you have doesn't affect my simming at all. So let's enjoy the community and whatever the developers throw at us.tl;dr: Go forth and sim some more.

So let's enjoy the community and whatever the developers throw at us
I couldn't agree with you more! :Hug:Thanks for a nice post. All in all we share the same sky.Now I'm going to iFly a bit.

It looks like we now have a tie

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest simmer9304

120 votes does not a community make. Let's wait and see if this poll still holds even when it's at 500 votes

This is shaping up to be the same exact stats we got in the polls on both the FSX and FS9 forums. I didn't think much would change putting all this in one poll, we got our answer a couple weeks ago. People use either one or the other with a smaller ratio using both.

FS2020 

Yes, looks like FS9 is still popular although I believe there is no future for it.
There's a future for anything that people still use and have a need for.

FS2020