Sign in to follow this  
Guest wathomas777

Gibraltar on the Cheap!

Guest wathomas777

If you love add-on scenery, and are not on a strict budget, then sim-wings Gibraltar 2004 is the way to go. This scenery looks incredible, and sometime I may get around to getting it.However, I find that most of the time, I am not a big fan of scenery add-ons. Perhaps it's me being a bit "retentive" but I don't particularly like having one area of scenery completely overshadow another. It makes the world seem less "real". I even purposely dial down my scenery complexity to dense, so that ALL airports are missing Jetways, since I often fly Seattle to Portland, and somehow it's better that Seattle and Portland both be missing jetways instead of one having them and one not.For instance, I will probably never get the MegaScenery, because I will fly in and out of the area, and it will be a big jolt when I suddenly enter SoCal with entirely different looking scenery.But, I still wanted a "rock" at Gibraltar, so after some searching I found this Gem.http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/ro...ginas/sec1e.htmRobert Lopez has some really nice mesh for the south of Spain (Andalucia), and that includes Gibraltar.Since there are no added "buildings" than default, this fullfills my desire to have a "Rock" at the "Rock of Gibraltar" without having the scenery complexity totally overshadow the surrounding area.And, it's freeware. It was designed for FS2002, but works fine in FS9 as well. Now Gibraltar is what I consider passable, at least until I save up a few Euros to purchase the Sim-Wings rendition. (Gib has always held a special place in my heart since visiting it.)

Guest oyvindhansen

>Perhaps it's me being a bit "retentive" but>I don't particularly like having one area of scenery>completely overshadow another. It makes the world seem less>"real".hehe, You need professional help man! ;) Personally I always fly between detailed add on airports. I have quite a few of them, including my real life home airport, so I seldom feel the need to vaste time on the default scenery. I get your point about flying into detailed satelite scenery. I solve that by only making local flights in such areas.- Oyvind

Guest wathomas777

Well, I like making flights everywhere. So when I pull out from Huntsville, and then land in Atlanta, I like both airports to have pretty much the "same" level of complexity.Plus it gives me a bonus of some added Frames.I did purchase some Mesh for the US so that that is a bit more accurate, as well as increased landclass data.But I find that taxiways and SkyChef trucks are nice looking but are FPS eaters that are just not necessary. And of course, the areas that have the most detailed airports are also the busiest, so now you are trying to land your rig in an ultra detailed airport with lots of traffic. Thats called kicking your rig when it's down....:)But seriously, I usually run both AG and SC at Dense. This gives the entire "default world" a nice even feel to it.

I'm not that interested in detailed airports. Scenery is more important to me. I only spend a few minutes at the airports, but several hours actually flying, so clouds and scenery, as well as aircraft detail, are far more important to me. It's not called "Microsoft Airport Simulator", after all :)Just "IMHO"

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP