Sign in to follow this  
Gerabus

Advice on PC Upgrade

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of upgrading to a new PC and at the same time making the transition to FSX. For all you PC hardware guru's can you please advise a relative novice of the below specs if they are a good upgrade for amongst other things to include a good standard of performance for FSX serious scenery and aircraft addons PMDG Etc and sceneries like Aerosoft and the likes. Any advice will be gratefully received. Cheers in advance Gerry. The new spec PC I'm looking at is.Over Clocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BitASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 111TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAMCORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIETCOOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL[/b]

Dude, you need to post this in the Hardware forum.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Dude I have a far less beefy system than that and fax runs as smooth as a babies bum.The biggest performance improvement for me was overclockong other than that I'd be amazed if your pc won't perform as you need.

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

that system seems pretty awesome! for the most part with overclocking it's around the sweet spot of speed versus cost for what's out there these days..since you are planning to overclock anyway, you might want to also check out the i7-930 which overclocks very well and is maybe a bit cheaper(?). in some reviews folks had it run up to 4.0 with fancy cooling.my experience with air cooling it is 3.6 is perfectly stable, and 3.8 also was doable (it worked fine with fsx) but would sometimes freak out in hot weather and running a lot of world community grid units in the spare time which i like to do on this machine..if you are truly a 'relative novice' as you say, i would only mention to be mindful with setting up the liquid cooling.. it probably isn't too much different than a traditional fan/sink combo but if you haven't put fans on cpus a lot, with a good feel for how much paste to use or whatever, then at least try to watch some videos or read about it before jumping in.. or just have it built if you are lazy like me, hehe, the local computer store has whiz kids that love building those up and they did a great job on mine.. with the cable routings and everything it's much more clean than i probably would have had the patience to do. :)anyway enjoy

Guest TomOOO

my 2p worth, get faster memoryDDR3-1866 or DDR3--2133 to match the rest of the spec -faster data transfer rates for all those textures.12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)

i7 950 is half price now, roughly the cost of 930 previously. If you go for 1600MHz ram get the lowest CAS latency, found in Mushkin Redline, timings are 6-8-6-24. 2000 MHz ram typically has high latency, 9. That's a lot of Ram memory, far more than FSX needs, but if you use other heavy programs, go ahead. Good luck with your build.

And don't forget to order all those parts twice, so you can send all the duplicates to me! Please PM me for my shipping address! Just%20Kidding.gifBig%20Grin.gifThat system will kick serious tail. Enjoy it brother! Fly the RealAir Duke over Manhattan with every single terrain, texture, scenery mod you can throw at it with all sliders maxed and post a screenshot 'cause it's gonna be hot! :)