Sign in to follow this  
flygarn1

A thinking question?

Hello,I am working on a airport called ESPA, this airport is next to the shoreline and is tilting downward to the beach in real life. THL 14 = 65ft (ILS CAT I)THL 32 = 21ft (ILS CAT II)Aerodrom elev (in AIP) = 65ft.Apron elevation = around 40ft (give or take 3ft)Runway length = 3350mdistance THL 32 to shoreline = about 270mAt witch altitude would you place the runway (and the airport in general) to get a nice tilt from the THL 32 to the shoreline (with the serviceroads and LOC antennas, approach lights etc.) and to get the best approach to the CAT II approach?The land between THL 32 and the sea could be done with a 3D mdl that is put there...Do anyone know a way to do tilting airports in FSX

Do anyone know a way to do tilting airports in FSX
Nope.

Art

Try posting your question in the proper forum at FSDeveloper.com.If it can be done, they will know how to do it.

You can make a sloping flatten and use a groundpoly or photoreal. But, you will not be able to have any traffic at the airfield... the AI need flat runways.Dick

I think we know how it's done here, as well, David.Flight Simulator airports are always flat - the runways, taxiways, and aprons are always perfectly flat and share the same altitude. If you want to use the standard elements available in tools like AFCAD or Airport Design Editor, then the airport will be flat. You can forego those elements however if you want. As Dick says, simply use instead a high-resolution image to drape over the realistic and high resolution altitude mesh or an inclined slope. There are a certain number of problems with this: you may not get as nice a result if your image does not have very high resolution, and AI aircraft will not be able to use the airport since they require the standard airport file with its flat elevation. So, no AI fighter jets flying in and out of Kallax.There are positive and negative elements to everything and you will have to decide if it is worth the compromise to you.Best regards.Luis

Thanks for the answers:smile: I think I will do a little try with a tilting runway to se how i works/looks, ESPA has a very small probability to have more than one airliner moving at the same time so AI will have to suffer

I think you are very fortunate with this airfield, there are no unsightly cliffs at the edges.Perhaps you could change the airport background so that it is not so angular.George