Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Selecting Arrival Runway

When setting up my flight parameters in RC4, there is an option in the Controller Info section to select a runway at the arrival airport. If I select a specific runway (say RWY 30L at KSJC) but, as I approach the airport, the prevailing winds are favoring the opposite runway (Rwy 12R), and the AI traffic is landing on 12R, then what happens? Will ATC override my selection, or will I still be allowed to land on my original runway of choice (which really would not make any sense since I'd be going against other traffic)? Thanks.

Your runway selections on the controller page will dominate. This is useful for runway specific STARS which far out do not have common points for all runways.RC4 looks at AI behavior first when approach assigns a runway, then weather and runway properties especially navaids. When approach assigns a runway and you ack it you have the opportunity to choose another runway anyway and the option to do your own navigation (request IAP to your chosen runway) or take vectors to either the RC advised runway or your selection.I advise including the common SID points in your plan and then after the approach assignment giving the recommended runway about 35 nm out make the choices above. If runway specific waypoints are further out than 35 nm then choose your runway before the flight in the controller panel based on your estimate of preferred runway and weather expected.The IAP choice is also recommended if using nav equipment (such as FMC) databases of terminal procedures but insure RC gets the same waypoints at least to 35 nm out so everybody is in sync.IAP approaches are highly recommended where difficult terrain restriction requiring corridor entries are required. This also applies to single ended approach corridors where the necessary runway may require a procedure turn perhaps including a descending racetrack approach leg for depressed airports.AI behavior is given first priority in RC approach assignments because they follow a very difficult runway scoring system such as acceptable tail winds to obtain a runway with full ILS over an opposite end without a glide slope.I hope this helps in making your preflight choices.

OK, thanks Ron, lots of useful information. I noted in your last sentence about the priorities given to AI behavior. I know that in the real world, prevailing wind is not the only consideration deciding the active runway. At KLAX, for example, arriving traffic usually lands from the east (since most of the traffic is coming from that direction), even if there's a tailwind from the east, which occasionally happens. An ATCS at LAX told me once that as long as the wind (coming from the east) is under 10kts, they still use 24/25 as the active runways. However, when the strong Santa Anas blow in from the east, they'll switch to rwys 6/7. But 90+ percent of the time, 24/25 are the runways in use. All the runways at KLAX have instrument (IFR) approaches.

Your runway selections on the controller page will dominate. This is useful for runway specific STARS which far out do not have common points for all runways.RC4 looks at AI behavior first when approach assigns a runway, then weather and runway properties especially navaids. When approach assigns a runway and you ack it you have the opportunity to choose another runway anyway and the option to do your own navigation (request IAP to your chosen runway) or take vectors to either the RC advised runway or your selection.I advise including the common SID points in your plan and then after the approach assignment giving the recommended runway about 35 nm out make the choices above. If runway specific waypoints are further out than 35 nm then choose your runway before the flight in the controller panel based on your estimate of preferred runway and weather expected.The IAP choice is also recommended if using nav equipment (such as FMC) databases of terminal procedures but insure RC gets the same waypoints at least to 35 nm out so everybody is in sync.IAP approaches are highly recommended where difficult terrain restriction requiring corridor entries are required. This also applies to single ended approach corridors where the necessary runway may require a procedure turn perhaps including a descending racetrack approach leg for depressed airports.AI behavior is given first priority in RC approach assignments because they follow a very difficult runway scoring system such as acceptable tail winds to obtain a runway with full ILS over an opposite end without a glide slope.I hope this helps in making your preflight choices.