Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

VATSIM flying

I have a few general questions regarding VATSIM flying in FSX.1. Do I need to be part of virtual airline?2. When flying with VATSIM is the FSX' AI traffic disabled? Is there any traffic visible in FSX?3. How tolerant are the controllers to the VATSIM newbs?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

And I could swear they have a forum, a FAQ and a website for those very common questions, like every other major online organisation would have.http://forums.vatsim.net/index.phpQuick Start for Flying on VATSIMYou can of course ask such questions and wait for the usual go VATSIM, no go IVAO stuff to come up, but why face such a dangers?

And I could swear they have a forum, a FAQ and a website for those very common questions, like every other major online organisation would have.http://forums.vatsim.net/index.phpQuick Start for Flying on VATSIMYou can of course ask such questions and wait for the usual go VATSIM, no go IVAO stuff to come up, but why face such a dangers?
Thanks but I'd rather ask here than dig into hours of PRC.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have a few general questions regarding VATSIM flying in FSX.1. Do I need to be part of virtual airline?2. When flying with VATSIM is the FSX' AI traffic disabled? Is there any traffic visible in FSX?3. How tolerant are the controllers to the VATSIM newbs?
1. Nope2. Yes, but if you have ai like Ult traffic 2 or Mytraffic x you can get it to show up as user ai traffic. So yeah, you will see other users' planes, not always the correct model though. I use Sqwakbox 4 and sometimes airplanes show up as triangles with a question mark inside them hehe.3.Quite tolerant - most will be helpful to noobs. I wouldn't recommend flying IFR during a big event at a big airport for your first time on though. What you should do however is listen to the frequency and listen for what other pilots are doing before you fly. Feel free to fly VFR as well.There were some good links above here's some moreCharts for USAhttp://skyvector.com/http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tppWorld Chartshttp://usa-w.vatsim.net/charts/#NorthAmericaOh finally, if you are going to fly on vatsim use a plane you know how to operate very well, something you're very familiar with, whether it be a small ga prop or LevelD767 etc.Have fun.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, thank you very much sir, this is exactly what I was looking for. So in general UT2 works, that's awesome. How many people are flying online? A lot? Also, in uncontrolled airspace you should be using default FSX' ATC? Radar Contact is not Vatsim friendly? I apologize for all these questions, I'm debating whether to join or not, since about 1998, lol.

Jacek G.

Ryan, thank you very much sir, this is exactly what I was looking for. So in general UT2 works, that's awesome. How many people are flying online? A lot? Also, in uncontrolled airspace you should be using default FSX' ATC? Radar Contact is not Vatsim friendly? I apologize for all these questions, I'm debating whether to join or not, since about 1998, lol.
In order to use UT2 you'll have to find a config somewhere - I think that ******* Altruv guy (he did the tweak stuff) made one for vatsimDuring the weekdays not that many people fly online. In the USA the best times to find users on vatsim is evenings, maybe from 6-10pm, and weekends are normally more busy.OH I forgot, you can download VATSPY to see who is online:http://www.metacraft.com/VATSpy/#downloadIf you're on the vatsim network you dont use the default ATC - at least I don't - but I think you can actually use it. I don't know anything about RC.There's no reason not to join really... it doesn't cost anything, and there's lots of help around - check out their forums as well for nooby info.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks again, I appreacite all the help.

Jacek G.

Thanks but I'd rather ask here than dig into hours of PRC.
Right ... "hours". Hopefully you'll spend some of them flying happily. Won't be the only time for you to spend on reading things that other people just produced for your enjoyment and very basic information needs.So: "Nice attitude" :( Let's hope it doesn't get doubled by too many other newbies.

Right ... "hours" :( . Hopefully you'll spend some of them flying happily. Won't by the only time for you to spend on reading things that other people just produced for your enjoyment and very basic information needs.So: Nice attitude :( Let's hope it doesn't get doubled by other newbies.
Relax CoolP....Vatsim can be intimidating to new users... I understand where the OP is coming from it doesn't actually take hours to get all setup... maybe 1 hr to get all setup and get the basics down.What's the point of forums like this if we always shoo everyone away to check other forums?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

What's the point of forums always going for the same answers? Nobody complains about specific questions but does anyone of us think that VATSIM produces FAQs and sticky topics in their forums for letting them be disregarded? I think a good start for online flying is a sense for a community. Asking things that you're are just to lazy to step through and only receiving partial answer that unavoidably cause you to look up those mentioned FAQs and stickies, won't safe time, produces needless threads and doesn't help anyone.If that's a good way to go, do it, over and over again.Apologies if this sounds rude, but I have a big aversion towards people that state in their answers, that they never looked "hours" (because he then would have seen, that it doesn't take you long) but seem to demand that other people look after them."Community" isn't a thing that serves you, it's one you're a part of.

"Community" isn't a thing that serves you, it's one you're a part of.
Yeah, and we're here to help others.End of story.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yeah, and we're here to help others.End of story.
Sad story, if you end it :( "Help" is usually misunderstood if someone just wants to profit from your somehow social behavior. He said that he didn't want to read "hours" and he still has to, because he will need to call for "help" again and again if being that lazy and showing that attitude. It won't last hours and he never tried, as you saw.If that's your way of helping people you'll never run out of them. I'd better go for that thing to teach how you can help yourself instead of needing it because your motivation lacks of power.VATSIM offers a wealth of information all put together by competent people and in a nice to read manner. You seem to doubt that, because my help pointed exactly towards his basic answers.The best way to help people that are to lazy to get around is to ... repeat stuff over and over? Don't think so, Sir.I agree on laying the discussion down, because he surely won't realize how wrong his behavior is and will be if continued, especially if joining a community. And I'm not interested in arguing with somebody I don't know and who likes to end stories by his words.So lets move along and think about each others way of helping people and what these ways might cause or not.