Sign in to follow this  
Guest chickenwings

Delete the world I dont use?

Guest chickenwings

Hey all,Got another question here. I really only fly certain areas. Mainly West Coast (USA), with the occasional hop to Las Vegas, Phoenix, once in a while ill shoot out as far as Dallas Texas.Seeing as how I mainly only fly these areas, I am interested to know if I can delete the rest of the world that I dont use. I am short on HDD space. Perhaps I could just keep USA?Looking through the install directory, I cant tell what distinguishes one area from the next though.Can you guys tell me if its possible to delete the unused world like this, and if so, how do I do it? (make sure im not deleting the areas I want to keep).Thank You.

Glad to see that the question was flight sim related LOL.gif You can try disabling the "worlds you dont use" first. Go to the scenery library and uncheck the unused areas of the flight sim. Start your flights after this and see for yourself.Some of the default sceneries are required and FSX should warn you when disabling.If you did some flights and had no problems, you can maybe move the unused folders but I wouldn't call that a solution for low HDD space. A new disk will fit better, give you more speed and avoids every source of error on this operation.

Hi,Just unchecking the ares you don't fly in, will not remove them from your hard drive, just prevent them from loading into FSX. So no hard drive space will be freed up.Hard drive space is very cheap, buy a large drive for FS and FS stuff only!

Just unchecking the ares you don't fly in, will not remove them from your hard drive, just prevent them from loading into FSX. So no hard drive space will be freed up.
Might be that this is the reason why I wrote to uncheck, check flight in FSX and then move them away to see if problems arise :rolleyes:Of course, you can delete them directly and then go for some funny solutions if you recognize that the rest of the world was affected too.But I see that we both agree that a new HDD is the way to go.

Guest chickenwings

Thanks for the replies you guys.Yeah I know, I need a new, bigger hard drive. :) Im just trying to get by until I actually get one.Great suggestion regarding checking the scenery, I've been narrowing it down, and it should save me a couple of gigs at least. ( ill take what i can get ).Thank you.

Just to make sure you understood it right. "Unchecking" is for the testing purposes and won't save you a single byte. If the test was successful, you then might delete the scenery folders and save some HDD space.

Guest anthony31fs

Just to put this in perspective. My Scenery folder is just over 10GB in size.My Scenery\World folder is about 5GB in size and you shouldn't remove anything from that folder.Most of the other 5GB in the various files will be terrain mesh (files that start with DEM) as this uses quite a bit of space.Here is a pic from the SDK documentation which should work out what those 4 digit numbers mean.

'wings,The SDK, also on line at the MS site, describes how the scenery world is divided and what's in each folder... reference the 'map' and the red squares and note that central US is mostly in folder 0202, northern west coast in 0102, east of the Mississippi in folder 0302; that's airports, terrain mesh, bridges, etc. England is area/folder 0501 and 0601. Blue squares delineate the individual bgl files within each folder.I'd recommend deactivation first to check results, then maybe move the unwanted to DVD storage. You can't get them off the install disks except with a repair or by reinstalling - which will put everything back. You may need to keep empty scenery folders to stop the sim from complaining that it can't find those missing folders.The best solution is more HDD space... even a cheapy 80G will give you space for a full backup copy with add-ons... then you can 'delete' anything you want.Loyd

Guest chickenwings

Awesome!@ Cool, yeah I got it, I tested it all out before actually deleting. Thank you.@ Anthony and illiaudais, thanks! That chart really helped me out with clearing out some additional scenery! For reference if anyone in the future finds themselves in a similar situation.I was able to delete all the scenery except 0202-0201, 0102-0101, and 0005 (got a notification on 0005 that the simulator needed it).Keeping just those 5 scenery grids left me all the areas I need. (North America West, and North America Central)I also deleted the missions, most of the default aircraft, and a few individual cities in the "cities" folder.All in all I think I managed to free up about 6 gigs.This is a great forum, Thanks to everyone for all your help!