Sign in to follow this  
Bob Church

How do you stop Yoke flutter?

Guest Jack172

I noticed my Yoke (CH)does not hold an exact value at any point, rather is flutters (+-)7.At the center point it can be resolved by setting a null zone, but how do you solve it at other positions?I notice as I climb the visual cockpit shows the yoke fluttering back and forth...Any suggested settings?

I'm guessing it's a game port yoke and not USB. Aside from cleaning the pots, there's probably not a lot you can do. For game port devices, jitter can come from a lot of sources. Electrical noise being induced on the game port cabling, variations in power supply voltage coming from the PC, changes in the load that the controller presents to the PC (you click a button, the yoke draws a little more current while the button is down, that will cause a shift in the timing pulse). There's also an odd effect, similar to the load shift, that happens when two axes are trying to show identical raw values. When one of them actually times out (game ports are just timers), the change in pulse level will create a jump in value on the one that's still timing. You can see this if you watch the raw values. As they approach the same value, one will suddenly "jump" over the other one.It's not really possible to add deadzone except near center since it makes the stick feel a little slow to respond and it's hard to do fine adjustments.The good news is, it may not be all that much of a problem. You say it's jumping about 7 counts. Out of how many? If it's 7 counts and you're getting 100 counts at maximum, that's a lot (7%). If it's 7 counts and you're getting 1000 at maximum (0.7%), it's probably negligible.Anyway, clean the pots and make sure there's nothing bundled with the game port cables. If you notice a jump in one axis when you move the other one and you're near center, you might try adjusting the trim just a little. If it's the crossover notch described above, you might be able to move it out of the middle which is the only place it's particularly annoying as it happens then at straight and level flight.Hope this helps!- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Guest Jack172

Thanks for the info, don't know if matters but it's the USB version of the CH Yoke.The values are on a scale of 255, taken from the CH calibration tool. The pedals do the same, vary by up to +/- 10.Is that normal?

Guest Jack172

Bob you solved it.I had been using a mini USB hub with an external p/s. I replaced it with a better quality one and now all is perfect, no null zones needed at all.Thanks!