Sign in to follow this  
kjetilhj

Innsbruck ILS

Hi.I tried to make a IFR flight from Gardermoen (ENGM) in Norway to Innsbruck (LOWI), and make a low visibility ILS landing. The aircraft i use is the PMDG MD11F.The flight goes fine until the approach is coming up, i try as good as i can to do the flight with ATC instructions witch is the problem. It seems that i end up way too highon the final, as i say i fly a MD11F, not a dive bomber. And i evenually end up diverting to another airport or cansel the whole IFR flight and remove the low visibility weather.(So mutch for realism) Anyone have a good idea? Or try the flight yuself:) Thanks

There are no ILS approaches at LOWI. You can try the LOC DME approaches (which require higher minimums than an ILS approach), but for realism you should use a smaller aircraft. VATSIM Austria has charts for the airport: http://www.vacc-austria.org/index.php

Thanks, that explain why the ILS dont work, but still i have problems with the ATC that guides me way too high. I almost looking strait down at the airport in external view. So a zero/low visibility approach is limited?

FSX ATC is, at best, just a guide, so cancel the flight plan nearing approach and use the chart as the basis for your approach and landing. You'll get the same (poor) result using ATC at an airport such as Lugano, for instance. The actual approach is actually pretty steep, if one follows the localizer. Switch off autopilot close to the minimum and hand fly the rest of the landing into Innsbruck.

Ok, i guess thats better. Realism is out the window when i am at 11000 ft an i hear "report runway in sight". Thanks for the reply guys, i really appreciate it:)And i will try a smaller aircraft, maybe a turboprop.

So a zero/low visibility approach is limited?
The localizer DME approach from the east, for example, has a decision height of 2,000 - 2,500 ft depending on how steeply the aircraft can climb if required to fly a missed approach. Most ILS approaches has a DH of just 200 ft.

The localizer DME approach from the east, for example, has a decision height of 2,000 - 2,500 ft depending on how steeply the aircraft can climb if required to fly a missed approach. Most ILS approaches has a DH of just 200 ft.
Ok. There is a huge difference. Thanks for replying:)

The LIC DME EAST approach has a note saying:"3.8o GS indication available between D18.2 OEV and MDA."I assume that this means itn is not reliable outside that range?

I assume that this means itn is not reliable outside that range?
The way the procedure works is, you fly level from RTT at 9500', intercept the localizer at D21.0, then descend on the glide slope starting at D18.2 and follow it down to MDA. At MDA (or earlier) you transition to a visual approach for rwy 26, or you circle to land on rwy 08.Note that the localizer is offset, so it won't take you to the runway threshold.So there is really no use for the GS indication outside the stretch from D18.2 to MDA (you could try flying straight in and intercept it higher, but then you are inventing your own procedure).

Guest 413X3

anyone else find it funny when they read realism and landing an MD-11 at LOWI? Nothing that big in real life would make it there

anyone else find it funny when they read realism and landing an MD-11 at LOWI? Nothing that big in real life would make it there
I am verry sorry, just a question.

Guest 413X3

How fast were you going? Try slowing your approach. Try a smaller plane first. Default ATC is not too good at what it does, adding a heavy and fast jumbo to one of the trickiest approaches in the world is asking too much. Fly a smaller learjet and on descent below 10000, try going speed of 210 or 200 and the atc should give you more time to descend. But remember the mountains around don't let you go too low until you are almost there.

Guess the biggest plane you can safely land (i.e. with sufficient runway left) there would be a 757. An MD-11 in real life won't ever make it (except it would be a "stunt flight"). In FSX I performed some (manual) landings at LOWI (10K lbs fuel, >330 pax), but getting her to a stop is nearly impossible...Best use Topcat if you want to know whether an airport is suitable for the MD-11 or not.