Sign in to follow this  
WilloW_737

Monitoir for Flight Sim - This a suitable one?

HelloCurrently I'm using a viewsonic 19 inch monitor. I was thinking foi upgrading to a 24 inch.I am NOT an expert at computers, so welcome thoughts from others who know more than I do :) My PC specs are in my signature file. I run FS9, PNDG 737, Active Sky Evolution and Ground Environment ProThis is the possible replacement monitorDell G2410H 24-inch 1080p LCD monitor and the specs can be viewed herehttp://bit.ly/9g95vaThanks for looking and helping. It's always helpful to hear from users before forking out your clams on a new bit of hardware. Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Iain,I upgraded my monitor recently but what I did was purchase a 32" LG Full HD Monitor/TV. (Never use it as a TV though)I must say I am really pleased with this - smashing graphics. One of the best purchases I ever made for FS9 along with Active Sky and GE Pro and ... the list just goes on.Bill

Iain,I upgraded my monitor recently but what I did was purchase a 32" LG Full HD Monitor/TV. (Never use it as a TV though)I must say I am really pleased with this - smashing graphics. One of the best purchases I ever made for FS9 along with Active Sky and GE Pro and ... the list just goes on.Bill
HI Bill,Never gave much thought to a monitor TV.Do you have hassles with frame rates, etc with running such a large screen? Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

The Dell G2410H 24-inch 1080p LCD monitor will serve your needs quite well, as would Bill's suggestion of course. The specs for the Dell you are looking at are more than adequate and if you are at a normal computer desk/distance should be very satisfactory. I hope this helps you with your decision.Best regards.Mel

About a year ago I got a Samsung Syncmaster 2333. At the time it was great value, might still be worth checking out. It's still as good as new and I'm really happy with it.

Thanks for your comments - appreciate your time.The Dell is quite inexpensive, however, Bill's idea interests me. I'm curious to hear whether the big screen he has actually causes a hit on frame rates. Also, does Bill fly 2D or 3DThere is also a Viewsonic (24 inch) of similar specs to the Dell - a bit cheaper again I think.I was told sometime back that anything above 24 inch (monitor wise) is not a good idea as it stretches the 2D panels too much.I fly in 2D rather than 3D so this is important to me. Cheers,,, iain.

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

A wide screen Tv/Monitor will indeed stretch the 2d panel, unless of course you dummy down the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 as an example, yuck! Looks awful on my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW) so I have mine set to the manufacturer's native resolution of 1680x1050. There is some panel stretching (left/right) but after a while I have begun to not even notice. Note; some panels seem to show the stretching more than others. Or maybe it is just me? On panels where it really annoys me I 'adjusted' the 'main' bit map and adjusted the panel cfg gauge position and dimensions accordingly. Actually more modern CRT and other square gauges don't look bad to begin with, only round gauges make the stretching really apparent. I can also say that some developers are now beginning to cope with this and provide panels for wide screens.Best regards,Mel

Thanks Mel.For the most part the 2D panels I use are square (glass gauges) like the 737 series PMDG 2 panels.I also have heard that many developers are now looking at alterable 2D panels to take into account the newer wise screen monitors.Now to decide - dell, viewpoint or a TC style monitor. Need to check the TV type monitors out next week locally. Cheers, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Iain,Sorry for not getting back yo you sooner. Absolutely no Frame rate hit with my TV/Monitor. The view is great. Even now after having it for several months I find myself often saying "WOW".I am running FS9 in a Windows 7 computer with an i5 chip and an nvidia GT250 graphics card. I run the LG TV/Monitor as my outside view mainly and also have an Acer 19" monitor to display my PFD/ND. Attached also to my computer is a USB Touchscreen 7" monitor that I got originally to use as an FMC but now use it as an EICAS display. Oh and I fly always in 2D panel mode.CheersBill

Thanks Bill. I'm going to check out a few displays on Monday in the TV range.You have given me a few ideas as well (touchscreen, etc).I was debating a 3 screens linked, but I'm leading more towards one screen (easier)I haven't given much thought to using a screen for outside display only. Currently everything is on the one screen although I'm running a MCP and other instruments as hardwareHere is a link if you want to see the set up. The set up is a little different now, but looks more or less the same as in the pictures.FLIGHT DECKThanks Bill, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

IainYour set up looks superb. It is just crying out for a 40" Hi Def Outside view! I have sent you an email.Bill

Try the Viewsonic VX2835 LCD, I've had mine for the last 3 or 4 years and its spectacular! I run fs9 at 1920 by 1200 without issue, superb large screen. You've used Viewsonic so I don't need to blather on about the quality.................3ms response time. Excellent monitor. I also use 2D panels and they look fabulous. I have a 19 inch CRT Viewsonic beside the 28 inch for networking fun! John Haley

Thanks Bill. I'm going to check out a few displays on Monday in the TV range.You have given me a few ideas as well (touchscreen, etc).I was debating a 3 screens linked, but I'm leading more towards one screen (easier)I haven't given much thought to using a screen for outside display only. Currently everything is on the one screen although I'm running a MCP and other instruments as hardwareHere is a link if you want to see the set up. The set up is a little different now, but looks more or less the same as in the pictures.FLIGHT DECKThanks Bill, Iain
Iain- If you are contemplating a single large screen, consider what can be accomplished with multiple views. Here is a shot of triple views, FwdL,Fwd,FwdR plus all the popups INCLUDING 1st Officer's panel, for the PMDG 747- all on one screen. Actually flew not badly on my ancient AMD 1.8 'puter. This was an experiment using my 4:3 ratio 19" CRT- to see how much might be displayed on a really big screen. It flew not badly- except that on the small monitor, you couldn't read the instruments!Triple views and a wide FOV really changes how you fly- espec landings.Alex ReidPMDG 747 aloft near CYVR with exper. triple views on a single screen.(Dual windscreen posts are caused by displaying both Captain and 1st Officer panels synched together. Black areas are unused monitors #2,3 for this test.)

Yes lots to think about before I decide to upgrade my visuals.I think I'll either go for one large screen (TV style) or opt for 3 24 inch view sonic screens and join them up with Wide View - or whatever that program is called.Now to sit back and dwell a bit on my options.Thank you to everyone who chimed in :) Best, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

HiFor those of you running multiple screens, are you using WIDE FS?Is there a frame rate hit with using 3 monitors linked with WIDE FS?I'd hate to decide on a 3 monitor set up to find my PC will not have the grunt. I have heard (unofficially from a fourth party) that whenever you add a screen to a PC, it really effects the output grunt of your graphics card resulting in frame rate loss.Thanks....Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator