Sign in to follow this  
ashigar

"Q" 4 Chris Willis or anybody that knows

Hi FellowsI'm just wondering if the high altittute in FS9 can be changed to pitch black as it is in real life? I can see MS has improved on the environment a little bit in FS9 compare to FS2000 & FS2002, but I think MS only came close only in FS98 for this aspect. For me I think it's un-realistic flying at FL330-FL390 at night and still can see the ground somehow and highlight sky around you. X-plane also did well in this aspect as well, so anything that can be done to look realistic Chris or anyboby feel free to weigh in for me. thanks

There are several environment bmps which define sky colors. Depending on the day of the month, different shades (or depths) of blue are shown.There is a subtle deepening of sky color as you climb into the flight levels. You can see it more if you pan the view upwards slightly. At 100,000 ft, it is quite evident. I haven't gotten around to playing with the environment bmps (sure wish FS2002 had such an option). But with them, you can adjust the "gradient" of the sky. A few weeks back, I applied a tint mask and made a "martian" sky (minus the martians) to one of the env. bmps... They are a lot of fun.You can find them in FS9's "texture" folder. Also note that Chris has made up his own sky set. I have it, but haven't installed it yet. But I did see someone's shot of his sky at sunset, and it was outstanding. -John

Guest 747drvr

Can't wait for those new ground textures chris!! Even your so-called low quality is better then MS high quality.

Chris,I too have agree, for a cloud texture that you said is NOT up FSW's standards, you fix is quite good. I can't wait for you to release the "good" cloud textures, if the current ones you did are bad :-)You are a real credit to the community, and that is saying a lot these days when it seems so many folks are full of negative thoughts and ideas.Cheers to you ChrisBob