Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Couple ?'s before I open my boxed 747

After all these years I decided to finally buy the 747 since I found a copy at Fry's today in Dallas for $29.99, however I have a couple of questions before I open the box since that will void a return.1. Since I bought this as a boxed product from a retailer rather than the online PMDG shop, how do I go about registering it so that I can receive support if needed?2. Is the boxed version upto date or do I need to download the update found in the the PMDG shop?3. Lastly and I know this is a hard question to answer based on so many variables, but as an owner of the J41, how many FPS can I expect to lose of the top with the 747 as compared to the J41? In the J41 I have the external model and VC model turned to low with icing effects off. I also have the guage refresh rates set at 94% for the left EHSI and EADI and set to 0 for the right side. With these settings at FSDT's KDFW I can maintain around 25-30 FPS, what should I except to lose in the 747? If its around 5 FPS I can live with that but if its going to be more like 10 to 15 FPS then it will be something I will have to give further consideration before I crack the box open.Thanks in advance for the help.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i know the answer to no. 2. The Boxed version, published buy aerosoft, is the latest version (2.1 i believe)

In regard to your 3rd question, the 747X will have significantly lower framerates than the J41. However, if you buy the 747-8 expansion, then fly with the new 747-8 models, the framerates are fairly good.

In regard to your 3rd question, the 747X will have significantly lower framerates than the J41. However, if you buy the 747-8 expansion, then fly with the new 747-8 models, the framerates are fairly good.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of, although its hard to guage what you would said would be significantly lower FPS (minus 15 to 20 FPS?). Frankly I kind of bought it just because I was able to find one of the boxed copies for $30 and I have been curious for a long time about this a/c, otherwise I probably wouldn't have paid full price, and honestly I have no intention of buying the 747-8 extension just to get better FPS in the VC.I'm guessing I shouuld just return it since I probably wont use it much anyway once the NGX comes out anyway.I will wait until tomorrow and see if anyone else chimes in with their experience with it before I take it back.Regards,Sean Campbell

On question #3: My system is not far off from yours, certainly less capable in some areas (Intel Q9550, Nvidia 9800GT (1GB DDR3), 6GB DDR2, Vista64, FSX). I have both products, and find that the 747-400 and 800 are slightly less of a hit on frames simply by the way I use it. The 747 has 2d panels available that I run off of a second monitor. The Jetstream, with VC only, I end up putting a closeup view of the instrument panel on my secondary monitor, and then switch between VC and external views on the primary. With 2 VC’s open, I certainly take a bigger hit with the Jetstream than the 747. My settings for the Jetstream are similar to yours as well, although I do have icing on. Even with a system that certainly needs updating, I find that both are very usable, and simply adjust sliders as required if I am flying out of a complex airport. That being said, the MD-11 still works the best for me – or more correctly, the way I use 2 monitors and a mix of 2d screens and the VC. I enjoy all 3 planes though, and find all are very useable on my system.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, although its hard to guage what you would said would be significantly lower FPS (minus 15 to 20 FPS?). Frankly I kind of bought it just because I was able to find one of the boxed copies for $30 and I have been curious for a long time about this a/c, otherwise I probably wouldn't have paid full price, and honestly I have no intention of buying the 747-8 extension just to get better FPS in the VC.I'm guessing I shouuld just return it since I probably wont use it much anyway once the NGX comes out anyway.I will wait until tomorrow and see if anyone else chimes in with their experience with it before I take it back.Regards,Sean Campbell
Sean!...don´t throw this oportunity away! The 747 is still one of the very best ac there is. I don´t use FSX, but FS9 and I have also the MD11 which is equal. My 767 levelD comes at 3th place.The 747-400X can´t be bad in FSX...../ Leffe

- keep it. Or sell it to me. I would be glad to have got it for sucha good deal. I would love to own her for FSX. Hands down I would also purchase the LCF too.

Peter Osborn

I bought the boxed version from Best Buy the day it hit the shelves. It runs fine if you don't have crazy loads of scenery AI traffic and weather. On a good day in KFLL from FSDT I can get 22 max frames....it usually avg. around 17. Honestly, I have the refresh rates up on max for the displays as well. That being said, Get the product. Its a steal and I know a couple 747 pilots who say the systems act the exact same way in the real plane. Also to get support, just ask and sign your real and full name to each post like any other user. YOu will have to type in a validation code which comes in the box. Over all I rate my experience 8 out of 10. Being the FPS ( which arent bad at all) and the fact that you still have to download most of the liveries. There are some that are included on the disc but not all.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

After all these years I decided to finally buy the 747 since I found a copy at Fry's today in Dallas for $29.99, however I have a couple of questions before I open the box since that will void a return.1. Since I bought this as a boxed product from a retailer rather than the online PMDG shop, how do I go about registering it so that I can receive support if needed?2. Is the boxed version upto date or do I need to download the update found in the the PMDG shop?3. Lastly and I know this is a hard question to answer based on so many variables, but as an owner of the J41, how many FPS can I expect to lose of the top with the 747 as compared to the J41? In the J41 I have the external model and VC model turned to low with icing effects off. I also have the guage refresh rates set at 94% for the left EHSI and EADI and set to 0 for the right side. With these settings at FSDT's KDFW I can maintain around 25-30 FPS, what should I except to lose in the 747? If its around 5 FPS I can live with that but if its going to be more like 10 to 15 FPS then it will be something I will have to give further consideration before I crack the box open.Thanks in advance for the help.Sean Campbell
1. You're covered, just submit a ticket at our support site and select the CD version option.2. Fully up to date, yes.3. I think you'll be ok on FPS - the J41 is fairly heavy on it as well. If you want to get some FPS back actually, getting the -8 addon helps, the external model is done using some newer methods and it actually speeds up the performance, even in the VC.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for all the input guys, it really makes me lean towards opening it and giving it a shot.Ryan, as far as getting the -8 addon to help the VC FPS, could I just go into the model cfg and // the external model to save the same FPS?Also aside from submitting a ticket, can I get support on this board for it even though it has the Aerosoft logo on it? I would prefer to come here for support rahter than to Aerosoft's board.

Also aside from submitting a ticket, can I get support on this board for it even though it has the Aerosoft logo on it? I would prefer to come here for support rahter than to Aerosoft's board.
I dont know where you see Aerosoft, unless it is on the box. In that case, Aerosoft boxed the product, but it is all PMDG. The forum has the AVSIM logo on it, different from Aerosoft.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Yes, Aerosoft boxed the product and made the installer from what I understand. If you go to the Aerosoft website they offer support for the product as well, but frankly I try to stay away from having to use or buy anything from Aerosoft if at all possible. That's why I was wondering if aside from getting support from them, I can get it on this forum also. Ryan said that I could open a ticket, but I was more or less talking about if I have questions, can I post them in the forum here.Also I would like to head back from Ryan regarding the question I had about //'ing the external model and if that will improve FPS aside from buying the -8 addition. Frankly I dont think I want to put more money into this plane since I probably wont even touch it once the NGX comes out, but if disabling the external model will save some FPS then its worth it to me since I stay in the VC most of the time.

Guest 413X3

No matter the framerate hit, the 747X is one of the best addons ever created. Some people are picky and say the VC is outdated but I find it still to this day one of the best. And the night lighting is perfection. Go install it asap!

Thanks for all the input guys, it really makes me lean towards opening it and giving it a shot.Ryan, as far as getting the -8 addon to help the VC FPS, could I just go into the model cfg and // the external model to save the same FPS?Also aside from submitting a ticket, can I get support on this board for it even though it has the Aerosoft logo on it? I would prefer to come here for support rahter than to Aerosoft's board.
I'm honestly not sure you can even do that Sean - there's a lot of functions in the panel that are tied directly to model animations, lighting etc. I can ask Vin though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

You can disable the VC using the Fuel loader (with FSX not started).

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator