Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Any way to eliminate pop-in textures?

I do quite a bit of mountain flying in FS9, and I'm trying to get rid of the texture pop-in that happens quite frequently. Basically, patches of textures out of the virtual cockpit view will sometimes go from low detail to high detail quite suddenly, rather than any sort of gradual transition. This, for me, sort of ruins the immersion of admiring the scenery.I have tried adjusting the TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS, and this seems to help some, but not to the point that I am happy with it.I also adjusted the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT setting, and this seems to make texture loads on view switches faster, but I don't really have as much of an issue with that.I understand that the target fps slider is important, and I have mine set at 20. I set it at unlimited just to see what my fps could be in a mountain flying situation, and it stayed around 40 or 50, so it seems like FS9 should have plenty of processing headroom to load the textures.Has anyone found a way to smooth out texture loading, especially on mountain flights?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Switch to 16xAF Performance anisio in your control panel.

Yeah .. I've actually tried various AF settings. The higher settings certainly help the textures in the distance, but I still get texture loads within a couple miles of my plane.It's not constant, but it's often enough to be just be a bit irritating.This may be something that there isn't a cure for? Is there a way to fly without any abrupt texture loads at all?