Sign in to follow this  
airliner_75

40nm approach || UPDATE

Hi!Two things.1.I have rcv4.2 and I want an update for 4.3.Do I need to send email to jd asking for the download link?2. I have one pretty easy airport to land on. It is Stockholm Arlanda. The STAR and then IAP for runways 1L/1R using star TRS TRS2J approach approach is I would say, straight in. When I hit the 40nm mark from the airport I am told to contact approach and even before that for weather.Then, talking so slowly I loose vital descent time resulting in not taking the aircraft down properly. I need to use speed brakes in order to make a descent rate of almost 2200. That's not good. I loose vital time for the chit chat etc ... Of course there are other airports that the approach is different but for Arlanda (ESSA) it isnt.Is there a possibility for radar contact to ask for IAP earlier? Or maybe change the 40nm radius range to greater, like 45nm from the airport so it is time to follow the descent properly.So, I guess the main issue is for the approach to take over a little bit earlier. Maybe tweaking some files?Best Regards and great ATC software!

1. Yes. Be sure your e-mail contains the e-mail address you used for ordering if it has changed. I believe 4.3 cut down a bit on AI communications to get faster responses out of RC so comms are not tied up.2. A work around is to choose the NOTAMS option for arrival that way at forty you could start your descent when approach contacts you before you get the new altitude assignment.I'm looking at TROSA 3M for 1L. First your plan needs to have a soft waypoint for the turn TEB at TRS DME29 on TRS radial 40. This gets you going in the correct direction instead of straight in from TRS giving you a little more distance. Before you get to that turn approach will contact you. The 1LS approach plate only shows the TEB IAF so I assume in the actual case you'd be getting vectors from there. RC will start your vectors earlier at about TRS DME 19 before you get to that turn.While a steep descent you should be able to make it by slowing the aircraft and adding flaps losing 11,000 feet in 35 miles and/or starting early with the NOTAMS option.If the ILS chart showed the path from the TEB IAF instead of nothing, you could request an IAP and follow the chart with HNAV/VNAV. If your aircraft has an RNAV approach in its FMC database and initially it agrees with the plan sent to RC, then you could request an IAP at approach time and follow that so RC will not monitor you at that point until a few miles from touchdown on the ILS when tower will issue your landing clearance.

2. A work around is to choose the NOTAMS option for arrival that way at forty you could start your descent when approach contacts you before you get the new altitude assignment.I'm looking at TROSA 3M for 1L. First your plan needs to have a soft waypoint for the turn TEB at TRS DME29 on TRS radial 40. This gets you going in the correct direction instead of straight in from TRS giving you a little more distance. Before you get to that turn approach will contact you. The 1LS approach plate only shows the TEB IAF so I assume in the actual case you'd be getting vectors from there. RC will start your vectors earlier at about TRS DME 19 before you get to that turn.While a steep descent you should be able to make it by slowing the aircraft and adding flaps losing 11,000 feet in 35 miles and/or starting early with the NOTAMS option.If the ILS chart showed the path from the TEB IAF instead of nothing, you could request an IAP and follow the chart with HNAV/VNAV. If your aircraft has an RNAV approach in its FMC database and initially it agrees with the plan sent to RC, then you could request an IAP at approach time and follow that so RC will not monitor you at that point until a few miles from touchdown on the ILS when tower will issue your landing clearance.
Thank you. The straight in TROSA arrival which is TRS2J is used when there's a little traffic, allthough as you say TRS3M is used during the day when traffic frequency is a bit higher. I use that one but sometimes approaching the airport at late hours I use the straight in STAR TRS 2J and that's where the problem occur.But, I will take your suggestion using NOTAMS to plan my descent earlier. Thank you for the tips and maybe other you have :).now, I have learned something new. Thank you Sir.Best Regards