Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

FS "newbie" questions

Hi all,This is my first posting on the AVSIM forums in probably, oh, a good year and a half. It's nice to be back.I received FS2K2 for Christmas two years ago; I was stoked, until I realized that my underpowered and already more than two years old laptop just couldn't run it. So I've been waiting patiently...I'm going to order a new mid-level Dell desktop computer in the next week; the wait to give FS2K2 a try is almost over! I have been impressed with 2K2 since I first saw it (and have had the chance to try it a few times on other computers).So, what I would like to know from 2K2 vets is how should I configure the sim to make it as real as possible? What are some must have freeware addons to make the sim top notch?I'm primarily interested in flying U.S. domestic and regional routes, mostly Northwest/Northwest Airlink, especially in the northern Midwest (out of Minneapolis-St. Paul International). So I'm looking for as much realism as possible regarding domestic (including Canada) commercial airline flying. Airport scenery, airports with (at least semi) accurate gates and accurate arrival/departure runways, aircraft in U.S. domestic fleets with associated color schemes and of course good looking weather are the primary interests.I don't care so much about general aviation/VFR flying in the sim, or perfectly 100% accurate air traffic control, because I am a private pilot and can go out and get the "real world experience" in those areas whenever I want. =)Any tips, configuration tricks or download suggestions would be much appreciated.Thanks very much!EricSt. Cloud Regional AirportKSTC

Guest ssurjap

That's a loaded question :).Basically, to configure the sim, slide the sliders all the way up and see how it affects your sim's performance, then work your way down.I don't remember whether FS2002 has an Autogen feature, but if it does, try setting it to very dense. Same thing with textures.As far as freeware, Chris Willis and his FSW group has put out a lot of scenery enhancements that are the best in my opinion.There are a lot of aircrafts and panels you can choose from in the AVSIM library. I haven't tried all of them, but they do look good.

Guest crashing_pilot

well..here goes:1:Ed Truthans oceanfx en ocean/water textures2:gerrish gray's tree library,as well as his replacement default autogen textures3:replacement cloud packs by Chris Willis.4:new_envo.zip by Gerrit Kranenbarg5:Weathermaker 1.46:any plane built by:Milton Shupe,Historic Jetliner Group,FFX/SGA7:every Twin Otter and Beaver available8:Erickson Aircrane,by Jordan Moore.(www.hovercontrol.com)9:every Bill Melichar Scenery(all carribean)10:i could go on and on...but time is of the essence these days ;-)so good bye,and please enjoy it ;-)regards

Thanks guys!This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for - cool things that, having been away from the sim community for a while, I wouldn't know anything about (especially weather/scenery things that might not be as obvious as finding aircraft in the library).Anybody else have thoughts?Cheers,Eric

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Eric,Welcome to the avsim forum. :) I recommend having a look at this thread...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=137442In my opinion, the best addon mentioned there would be the RealityXP GPS 530XP. Or get the Apollo bundle, which is the Flight Line Avionics plus the GPS 530XP. FSNavigator and WeatherCenter would be the next on my list. ;) If you fly alone get MyTraffic or Ultimate Traffic. I like MyTraffic a lot.Cheers,One Tin Soldier

Guest crashing_pilot

i forgot to mention that Chris Willis and FSW also made replacement moons,suns and snow/raindrops,and also runway light sets...definately a must have,and free i might add!have fun ;-)