Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Should the Stab Trim Do this?

Unless I completely misunderstood the tutorial I read, you are supposed to pull back the stab trim before you start flying, and whenever I do pull it back it snaps back into place am I doing it wrong? If not, how do I tell where the stab is being set?Patrick Boynton

Hi Patrick, I have no idea what tutorial you read or what you mean by "Pull back the stab trim". After you have told the CDU enough information about your weights, flaps setting, etc.. etc... the exact amount of Stab Trim will then be dispalyed for you to then apply. You will then enter this by looking at either the Engine page or the Config page.Maybe some more info on what tutorial and exactly what you're doing that leads up to the snap back part could help us help you.The only thing I can guess is you have something (one of your controls) set for stab trim and it is setting it back to it's current axis or something along those lines.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I think he's talking about the suitcase handle on the pedestal that you pull back to set the trim and then it "snaps back" into it's neutral position. This handle doesn't actually indicate the position of the stab trim but only changes it. Try pulling up the Config page on the system display screen and left clicking this handle on the pedestal until you see the stabilizer position on the Config page match the position required on the Takeoff page in the CDU (as Dan mentioned). Another alternative to clicking the handle is to assign a keyboard/joystick button to Elevator Trim (up) in the FSX controls menu and then holding that down until the correct trim is set for takeoff.Hope this helps,James Lunsford

Thanks for the clarity James, now that you mention it, it makes more sense. I forgot all about the way that handle thing looks and works since like you mentioned, I have my stab trim set to buttons on my throttle quad.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Glad I could help! I never use the suitcase handle either since it's just way too slow for me :( Cheers,James Lunsford