Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Are the XML and LMT Static Object Library Files Used?

I've been rebuilding my EZ-Scenery and Rwy12 static object libraries and have found that many authors have included both XML and LMT files with their libraries. In the interest of understanding and simplifying the massive task of managing the library content, what are these files used for? Are they simply for the object placer program to create new objects to later be compiled into a static object library? Are they necessary for any purpose when actually flying? Please advise and thanks!Mark

These files are not required for the end-user.If you are creating scenery with the RWY12 program it will need the .xml files.If you place objects by writing .xml files and compiling them with BGLComp (a painfully tedious process), the .xml files can be a useful resource.The .lmt files are used by Scruffyduck's Library Object Manager to index thumbnails.For the object to be displayed in the sim, these files serve no purpose.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe...I think I asked this question once before, (a long time ago), but wanted to make sure. I've been looking at the perfect world scenario with static objects again. I've been attempting to implement the idea of only one instance of a static object anywhere in the sim and those files didn't seem to effect anything when I removed them.The other issue is now what happens when I find a Runway 12 or an EZ-Scenery object in more then one place. I mean, if Sidney Schwartz creates "EZ Sailplanes" and his "ez-sailplanes.bgl" file is in someone else's scenery folder, can I remove or rename it in favor of a single master copy in a global static object library? That is, as long as the global static object library has the highest priority in the scenery library. I wonder if it's any different for Runway 12 objects? Is there any need to have them reside in scenery folder if an author has included them with his distribution or can they be moved to a single global static object library folder? The testing seems to prove the latter but who knows what aberrations will manifest themselves when least expected. Once again, the goal here is to have only one copy of a global static object anywhere in the sim. At least that's what I think the original architects of static object libraries had in mind :)Mark

When installing addon scenery the first thing I do is look at the scenery folder for object libraries. If I find known object libraries I remove them from the addon.FS9 will only recognize one instance of an object library.Having multiple copies of an object library is the most common cause for having objects show up in the sim sans textures.I did some testing a while back to try to determine how FS9 decides which instance of an object library it will use. My tests were inconclusive, however I did confirm priority in the Scenery Library was not the determining factor.The bottom line is, in my opinion, you should download and install the object libraries in a file structure of your choosing.I have seperate folders for people like Sidney Schwartz, Glen Fout (Woody), Steve Ziegler, Len Hickman, Lou Frost, Ron Jeffers, etc. all with their own entry in the Scenery Library. I also have an entry for the RWY12 Static Objects Library and a Miscellaneous folder.Unless you are using the RWY12 program to create scenery, the RWY12 object libraries are no different than the EZ_Scenery-style libraries.Hope this helps.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif