Sign in to follow this  
markturner

does anyone actually have a working install?

man I am getting pretty hacked off with this! I have now spent the best part of two weeks re installing windows, now on my second install of win 7, and I CANNOT get FSX to run without crashing. one my first install, it was visualfx.dll mostly, now its terrain.dllI am close to taking a hammer to my computer, i can tell you. In fact , I also just set up a dual boot of win xp on my sopare machine, so I could re install Falcon 4 without that crashing on Vista. It runs great, and I am sorely tempted to just forget about FSX for a while and go back to Falcon, when at least you know it works and you can bomb stuff as well..!how difficult can it be to get a microsoft game to run on their latest operating system?AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, chill :-)I have W7Ult 64bit and running FSX without an error - but with some corrections. I had my pile of garbage crashing FSX, but when I filtered that out, now it's running great.But I had such problems with FS9 too. I think it's not Microsoft's error, but rather addon developers who simply don't completely understand FSX and make a bad addon. Not to mention few right now...

Guest firehawk44
man I am getting pretty hacked off with this! I have now spent the best part of two weeks re installing windows, now on my second install of win 7, and I CANNOT get FSX to run without crashing. one my first install, it was visualfx.dll mostly, now its terrain.dllI am close to taking a hammer to my computer, i can tell you. In fact , I also just set up a dual boot of win xp on my sopare machine, so I could re install Falcon 4 without that crashing on Vista. It runs great, and I am sorely tempted to just forget about FSX for a while and go back to Falcon, when at least you know it works and you can bomb stuff as well..!how difficult can it be to get a microsoft game to run on their latest operating system?AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Mark,I see where you have posted this question over in another forum too and still haven't found a solution. I suspect the defrag/cleanup of the registry did not work since you are now here asking the same question. It appears to me to be a scenery issue. The terrain.dll error has sometimes been associated with Ultimate Terrain. Hopefully you installed all their updates, etc. I would disable all your addon scenery through the Scenery Library and see if the problem reoccurs. If not, you'll have the tedious task of enabling each one until the culprit is found. Also check your scenery.cfg and make sure it is not corrupted somehow. If the error(s) continue, then you'll have to look for a problem with your system. I'm sure you have installed the latest Microsoft Visual CC++ Libraries as recommended by NickN in his Setting up FSX article, paragraph 6. These libraries are used by some FSX developers to install their addons and an addon may not have been installed correctly if you do not have the latest and greatest runtime software. "how difficult can it be to get a microsoft game to run on their latest operating system?" FSX was not developed for the latest operating system. Fortunately, for most of the flight sim population, FSX works great on Windows 7 but not all addons necessarily will work with Windows 7. That's why a lot of users have clicked on the incompatible software's .exe and made it compatible for a previous operating system.Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Hi Guys, the frustrating thing is, I have gone down the route of looking at the addons. I dont have any scenery add ons installed such as UTX etc. I had installed AI carriers, FSUIPC and javiers Nimitz. Thats it. And I had installed some planes. None of which appear to install anywhere apart from the gauges folder and sim objects. I was already getting the errors before I had added any of my photoscenery to the lbrary, so really, i cant think what it can be.Word Not Allowed, - What add ons did you have problems with and how did you resolve? And I followed Nicks guide religiously. I am also getting some java errors, but used the latest update which seemed to install fine. I have also installed and used my registry cleaner ( advanced system care Pro version) What does terrain .dll do and what uses it apart from UTX? Cheers, Mark

Mark, I can tell you that I had problems with sceneries from DreamFactoryStudios (sold by Aerosoft), especially Brussels, I uninstalled it cuz I was not able to get it to work.I also had in FS9 problems with UT, I don't have FSX as long so that I could confirm that.Right now, I have only 2-3 airports I flew last to (I am in the middle of the move to the new house, so not flying at all), UTX, GEX, FSUIPC, and ASX, PMDGs 747 and that's it. Keep it clean. Don't forget about UIAutomationcore.dll mod, otherwise there will be crashes. Also most updated drivers for your computer and a fresh install of all apps.And oh... I never used an registry cleaner. I believe religiously they are pure evil :(

Hello MarkAre you installing everything with your system overclocked?If you are try setting it to standard clocks then installing.

Guest kdundon

I have had Win 7 Pro 64 bit from the beginning and found out early on to install everything using "run as administrator" option. Just a suggestion. Ken