Sign in to follow this  

Airbus or Boeing?

Thanks for the great replies! Well, I am a Boeing fan, but I like Airbus, too. I don't like the A330 much, but do like the A320 & the new A340s. I really like the 777 & 747. The next generation 737s are EXCELLENT. having flown one from KSEA to PANC the ride is quiet & smooth & I was quite impressed. Good competition for the A320. >>Hell will freeze over before I fly an A380.I second that! :-lol

I think most pilots I've talked to don't like the fact that the Airbus can override a pilot's wishes with it's computer. Witness the Air France A320 that flew itself into the trees (1993? 1994?) because it was in the wrong "mode".Boeing aircraft all have flight computers, of course, but can be manually overridden by the pilot. Recall the case of the attempted hijacking of a FedEx DC-10 (not a Boeing at the time, but same design philosphy). The pilots were attacked by a disgruntled employee and the copilot maneuvered the plane violently, even inverted at one point I think, to help overcome their attacker. That would not be possible in an Airbus, because the Airbus computers do not allow the aircraft to get into an "unsafe" regime of flight.So one may like the ride, the look, whatever of the Airbuses, but from a pilot's perspective I say Boeing all the way.Denny

Guest Scott Campbell

>I think most pilots I've talked to don't like the fact that >the Airbus can override a pilot's wishes with it's computer. >Witness the Air France A320 that flew itself into the trees >(1993? 1994?) because it was in the wrong "mode". 1988. As I've said now numerous times, this is old data. Airbuses ALL have pilot overrides since 1990.>Boeing aircraft all have flight computers, of course, but >can be manually overridden by the pilot.So can Airbuses.I hope this is the last time I read this.

Guest Dominik Mann

@ Scott:I, too, hope so, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. Just look at that thread titled "Air New Zealand goes plastic", or something like that :-( . When I look at discussions like that one, it does not surprise me at all why people are being more and more alienated on both sides of the Atlantic...it's just nation-bashing at a different level to me.*sigh* :-roll

Guest Scott Campbell

Dominik,Thanks. I just feel that I'm banging my head against a wall here. The fact that I've now said that same thing about pilot override four times in two threads means no one's even reading these things. They're just posting this "Airbuses will fly themselves into the ground" BS over and over without actually reading any other responses or getting any actual facts.And the final straw was the "Pilots I know don't like the Airbus because they can't override..." Man, if that were true then I'd say that airline needs to do some serious retraining of their pilots.I'm an American and love Boeing, too. But people need to get their facts straight.It's just gotten to be tiresome, and I'm done with this topic. It's just more false information and fear-mongering to "better" the other company.

Guest Dominik Mann

Well said indeed, Scott. As you can see from my sig, I, too, like both Boeing and Airbus, but I, too, am fed up when people think they can or should use items like aircraft to try and prove that one "industrial power" - I'd like to keep nationalities deliberately out of this - were better than the other, because this is what it all boils down to, IMHO.I am not a pilot, but believe me, I have read up plenty about both Boeing and Airbus to know that BOTH brands offer FBW override functions. A few months ago there was a VERY good article in the aviation magazine I use to read which explained the logic behind Airbus's FBW design, and there they expressly stated that there IS an override option. Me, I will never ever blindly jump on the bandwagon and start posting irresponsible and unfounded claims like these put forward in this thread.This topic should really be buried for good. I for my part will not take part in wholly pointless discussions like these any longer.

I say airbus all the way, but thats just me, i love lufthansa 747's and BA 777's but airbus is still growing, yet boeing is at a stand still. they keep pushing the old aircraft and just adding on to them, like the 747-400XQLR or whatever. yet airbus is looking for something new, like the A380. i just flew on a brand new A319-112 on frontier airlines last week and the seats were much more comfortable, there was no squeaking like on most A320/A321's and the head rests are flexible to fit your head!! the 737-800 w/ winglets (for example on ATA) the seats just arent as comfortable. the windows dont line up with the seats properly and the seats dont recline right. they sorta, fall out from under you it seems like. i like boeing, but i prefer airbus over them. for right now, there is a large snowstorm approching hell. the A380 will prevail!