Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Value Video Cards. I'm Short on $$$

Guest wathomas777

I currently have an MX420 PCI GeForce 4 card. I am pretty happy with it. It is the "limiting" factor of my new Athlon 2400XP and I know this. I get good frames most of the time, but some times in real heavy weather it bogs a bit.I know the FX5200 is also another "value" card, but will a 5200, along with the AGP port provide a significant enough increase in performance to justify the cost.I know I may be trying to ask for the moon, but, will any of the $120.00 or below cards offer any significant improvements over the MX420, or should I just stick with what I have?Thanks. (looking at the FX5200 and Radeon 9000 as possibilities)

Guest RichD

I have a Geforce4 Ti 4200 8xAGP 128mb and I am very happy with it. It will outperform the FX 5200 and the cost is about the same. Go to Toms Hardware and read the July video card review and check the benchmarks. I paid $120 for my card but I have had it for several months. You should be able to pick one up for around $100. If you feel that you can't live without FSAA and AF then the 4200 probably is not the card you are looking for. I run at a high resolution (1600x1200) and don't feel that I need FSAA so the card works well for me.Richard

You should be able to find a Radeon 9600 card in that price range. Other nice cards include the FX5600 and if you can still find one, the Ti4200 is still a great card and it should be dirt-cheap now.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hi Wathomas777,I just checked the current prices over at pricewatch.com and for 122.00, including shipping :-), you can get an Nvidia FX 5600 128MB AGP 8X. With the FX5600, you should definitely see an improvment over the MX420.Just go to http://www.pricewatch.com and click on video cards and check out the prices. I have purchased a new Nforce 2 Ultra motherboard, additional ram and a video card off of pricewatch and have been real happy everytime.Hope this helps!!Regards,Paul