Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

ATI Card Owners - No more flashing menus !!!

Guest ozhero

Greetings fellow tweak obsessed simmers :-)This is not my discovery and have I forgotten who posted this fix but my thanks to whoever it was.If your monitor supports above 1600x1200 at a decent referesh rate then try setting your display above this resolution. I have just tried this and no more flashing menus, corrupted text etc etc on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb.I have a Sony 21" Monitor and currently running 1792x1344x32 at 90Hz.I am using the Omega 2.4.74 drivers (based on the latest ATI 3.6 drivers) and it looks georgeous! I am also running 4x AA, but could get away with 2x at this res ( but I just love having ABSOULUTELY no jaggies when I pan and look out along the wing) and 8x AF in quality mode. Shimmering is also now at an acceptable level and at times the scenery and sky look almost real.I am also running locked at 25FPS with just about everything tweaked up high and MipMap level set at 4. Even with the Reality XP Garmin and other windows spread across my additional 2 monitors I still manage to maintain 25FPS most of the time.I am a MUCH happy camper now and will stay at this res until the new drivers come out from ATI and may then revert back to 1600x1200x32 where I get a constant 30FPS with everything tweaked up.It is absoutely amazing how this card can pump out such high quality graphics at such a high resolution and still keep the frames per second at a great level. As always YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Guest Bigshot

The only problem is that with a 128mb card, 16x12x32 is the limit for the card. You can go higher with a 256mb card. After 16x12x32 with a 128mb card, you lose your AA & AF quality cause the card doesn't have enough memory. I tried that last year right after I got my Sony 21" and 9700 Pro 128mb. Asked over at the rage forums and was informed by the ATI guy of that. 2048xwhatever sure looked sharp but for the AA & AF failing.

Hehe so much for the Extremetech article that suggested Radeon card only work well in FS2004 at 800x600 resolution :( :-outta

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Bigshot

That site along with hardocp and others have had some articles recently concerning Nvidia and ATI with strange findings. I think they all got letters from the Nvidia Legal Department threatening hostile takeovers or something. Just can't seem to get any truthful information anymore.I run everything at 1600x1200x32 res and if I had a 256mb card, I'd be running everything at 2048xwhatever.

16x12x32 limit on a 128 card suggets AA & AF are using 64+MB16x12x32 takes about 61MB

Guest ozhero

Sorry guys I did not realise that it was the 256Mb that was letting me run at a higher resolution. As mentioned it is a temporary measure until the driver fix and then I will probably be back at 1600x1200 to get the slightly better frame rate.Lets hope ATI get the new drivers out soon.

As someone who has had to troubleshoot his fair share of software glitches, I can assume that at the very least knowing this information could help ATI narrow down the problem and get it fixed. I really hope it's part of the Catalyst 3.7 set. Thanks for the info.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit