Sign in to follow this  
PatP

Wings appearing in VC mode

I've noticed that many aircraft addons including Captain Sim have rendered both wings visible when in VC mode, allowing for wing views to made.Other addons, however, such as PMDG 747, have not portrayed the wings in VC. My question is, is there any way to adjust the model so that the wings become visible? And does it involve the PMDG mdl file?ThanksPatrick

Guest FlugSimulatorXfan

You only can edit the aircraft model!Thing wich are in the VC are all saved in the modell file in /Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/(Your Plane)/Model/(The .mdl file)!There is no way to add them without changing anythin on the .mdl file in this path!

I guess you in theory can do it. However, there is a reason these wings are often not added because of either one of two reasons:1) Adding wings in the VC drags down performance, and especially older products are therefore likely not to have wingviews because of this.2) the VC is so detailed that the FS9 polygon limit is reached, and thus no wings can be added.If there are no wingsviews because of reason 2, then you have no hope of adding in the wings yourself. if it is because of 1, you may try and see if you can get some results.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I guess you in theory can do it. However, there is a reason these wings are often not added because of either one of two reasons:1) Adding wings in the VC drags down performance, and especially older products are therefore likely not to have wingviews because of this.2) the VC is so detailed that the FS9 polygon limit is reached, and thus no wings can be added.If there are no wingsviews because of reason 2, then you have no hope of adding in the wings yourself. if it is because of 1, you may try and see if you can get some results.
As someone recommended to me you can use FSRecorder to "create" custom wingviews... I have already done it for a number of birds and I will actually launch a flight as a passenger via FSrecorder if I cant do it myself for some reason (geek, I know...) It will take a little playing around and you use the spot view to create them, not the VC. I would highly recommend it!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Adding wings in the VC drags down performance
Benjamin, in which aircraft have you noticed that? I never did, to be honest.

Benjamin, in which aircraft have you noticed that? I never did, to be honest.
I never did really notice it, but that's why I was also referring to older products: older products would have run on older hardware upon release, and thus wingviews could have been detrimental to performance on these machines. My computers have always been able to handle them so I never flew without them.Paul: indeed, FSRecorder is the easiest way to create wingviews (might even be me that mentioned it...). One simply installs the program and you can then move the camera around your aircraft to thus make each and every exterior view you want. I made this video using FSRecorder. Look at it, so you can see what possibilities there are:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asdvdHqrTMFSRecorder is one of the best freeware tools I know. I can really recommend it!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

To make a comparison, the PMDG 747 and Captain Sim 757 have VCs which are just as detailed as each other, but the CS has the ability to make the wings appear. Obivously there seems to be no problem with the polygon limit, and I do have some decent specs on my MacBook Pro.Also, I do use fsrecorder and walk&follow, but my aim is to simulate wingviews that are "inside" the aircraft.So would someone be able to tell me how to edit the mdl file for the PMDG to make the wings visible? I imagine it would involve some conversion.Patrick

how to edit the mdl file for the PMDG to make the wings visible?
It's not a question of editting. If the wings were not modelled by the developer, you would have to model them from scratch.

To make a comparison, the PMDG 747 and Captain Sim 757 have VCs which are just as detailed as each other, but the CS has the ability to make the wings appear. Obivously there seems to be no problem with the polygon limit, and I do have some decent specs on my MacBook Pro.Also, I do use fsrecorder and walk&follow, but my aim is to simulate wingviews that are "inside" the aircraft.So would someone be able to tell me how to edit the mdl file for the PMDG to make the wings visible? I imagine it would involve some conversion.Patrick
You forget one thing: on the CS, you can have wings or cabin together with the VC. Not both, because, I guess, you'd go over the polygon limit. The PMDG 747, on the other hand, already has the cabin modeled. So, combined with the fact that the 747's wings are much bigger and include two engines, I really doubt if you'd be able to fit in the wings. I say it's impossible to do.

Benjamin van Soldt