Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Carenado GPS map view

Purchased the Grand Caravan yesterday and made my maiden flight with the A/C today (KBIL to KGFK). I found that this plane is easy to hand fly, more so than my other Carenado aircraft, the C-182G. Nice job, Carenado.My question relates to the GNS430. Unless I'm mistaken, this gps, unlike the default FSX GPS500, doesn't appear to have a "north at the top" mode in map view. The only map view that I could see was where the plane symbol is facing "up" no matter which direction you are actually heading. Is this correct, or is there a button, or setting, I'm overlooking? Or is this the only view you get with the GNS430? Perhaps this emulates the real world GNS430?Thanks.Bob

Purchased the Grand Caravan yesterday and made my maiden flight with the A/C today (KBIL to KGFK). I found that this plane is easy to hand fly, more so than my other Carenado aircraft, the C-182G. Nice job, Carenado.My question relates to the GNS430. Unless I'm mistaken, this gps, unlike the default FSX GPS500, doesn't appear to have a "north at the top" mode in map view. The only map view that I could see was where the plane symbol is facing "up" no matter which direction you are actually heading. Is this correct, or is there a button, or setting, I'm overlooking? Or is this the only view you get with the GNS430? Perhaps this emulates the real world GNS430?Thanks.Bob
I can't speak for the default GNS 430; I swapped it immediately for the Reality XP version.That being said, in a real GNS 430 the 2nd "page" in the NAV "chapter" is the map; and it is selectable in the menu system as to whether track is up or North is up. It also has the option to have your DTK up. (These options are in the SETUP MAP accessed by pushing the MENU button while on the map page).The terrain map, however, only allows track up; as I recall it even shows "TRK" at the top of the terrain map to make sure you understand the orientation.Garmin has a full pilot's manual for the GNS 430 on their site. I used it as my training guide while learning how to operate the Reality XP. Since the RXP is based on the Garmin Trainer, the manual is a big helpAnyway, in the Carenado GNS 430 you might try going to the map page, then pushing MENU and then selecting SETUP MAP and look for an entry in the list called ORIENTATION. North should be an option if it is modeled.

My installations of the Carenado Grand Caravan and the Cargomaster do not have a map view on the GNS430 at all? This has frustrated me, as I use a GNS430 in real life.Is this a bug, or a stuffed up install? I'm tempted to uninstall/reinstall, just don't want to hose up my license with unnecessary re-activations.-m@

KBIL eh? I worked at that airport for 3.5 hears as a lineman, and learned to fly at 6S8 while doing that, with the last year as a flight instructor at KBIL :)As others said, on the real unit you can simply edit via the menu key. I don't think these not full featured knock offs allow it. Best bet would be to go for the RXP Gauges if you want ultimate realism!K

I too use the Rxp 430, but on topic,Bob the click spot for map view with the default 430 is on the words "Default Nav" just above the right knobs of the GNS unit.

I too use the Rxp 430, but on topic,Bob the click spot for map view with the default 430 is on the words "Default Nav" just above the right knobs of the GNS unit.
Thanks, I discovered that shortly after I submitted my first post. The only other issue I have with this particular GPS is that the plane symbol on the map page does not stay on the course line depicted on the gps map. IOW, when I'm using gps steering with the autopilot slaved to the gps, the small plane symbol on the map view is "off" the line a significant distance. I did install the first update released by Carenado.

My installations of the Carenado Grand Caravan and the Cargomaster do not have a map view on the GNS430 at all? This has frustrated me, as I use a GNS430 in real life.
Hey Matt, did you get the Map problem fixed? I'm having the same problem myself.CheersGeoff

Geoffrey Kent

Hey Matt, did you get the Map problem fixed? I'm having the same problem myself.CheersGeoff
I added the map view buttons and a few more things like moving the zoom out the way as it obstruct a large area of the screen. Well I take it you refer to the terrain being shown in colours. Is this what you refer to?newmodedfilea.jpg

Oh and most important corrected all the clickspots to be much better and userfriendly.PM me if you want the adjusted file.Please this is only for people with legal copy of carenado planes. lets respect carenado copyright.If Carenado feel it infringe please remove the post.

Thanks for the information Matt. My problem was that, like you, I didn't have the Map view at all. But then I found that the Carenado GPS does not have full functionality. And their own version of the Garmin 430 manual tells you how to get the Map view.CheersGeoff

Geoffrey Kent

Oh and most important corrected all the clickspots to be much better and userfriendly.>> PM me if you want the adjusted file.I just purchased the Baron 58 with the Garmin 430 and cannot find the map and finding the area to click on the knobs is not a piece of cake. Could you please send the mod file to me at CTBlankenship@gmail.com?Thanks in advance,

Oh and most important corrected all the clickspots to be much better and userfriendly.>> PM me if you want the adjusted file.I just purchased the Baron 58 with the Garmin 430 and cannot find the map and finding the area to click on the knobs is not a piece of cake. Could you please send the mod file to me at CTBlankenship@gmail.com?Thanks in advance,
I will send you an email

Hi,I'd also appreciate a copy of the adjusted file. I lost my original when my system crashed.ThanksJack (jackandclair@comcast.net)

Oh and most important corrected all the clickspots to be much better and userfriendly.PM me if you want the adjusted file.Please this is only for people with legal copy of carenado planes. lets respect carenado copyright.If Carenado feel it infringe please remove the post.

I've owned this plane for over a year and never did get the GPS to work correctly. I just recently started messing with it again and came across this page. I'd appreciate it if you could possibly send me your fix.

Thanks in advance,

jime2000@comcast.net

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards