Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

One of the reasons why people give up on designing freeware...

Folks, when you email an author, why don't you include something positive, instead of peppering your emails with snide and sarcastic remarks. You can bet my response to this jerk couldn't be repeated here:>Subject: Microlight>Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 06:50:28 EDT>>Thanks for a great plane that has a max altitude of around>27000 ft. >However, since 12000 is "no oxygen" max (I think),>I had to come down and "play" closer to the ground.>Thanks also for AP function, but does need >that "use_no_default_bank=1" in the AP section >for best operation.. Well done!

Quite how someone can criticize freeware is beyond me :( If they're so wonderful and superior, why haven't they designed something better? ;)American Airlines Virtualhttp://www.aavirtual.com :)

Guest dogknot

Sorry, but I don't read "snide and sarcastic remarks" into this e-mail.

Guest jordan

John,I've gotten my share of inappropriate emails from users, its tough sometimes. I'm not sure the email you included is a good example of how bad it can be. However, I totally understand the point you are trying to make. Its good to have developer buddies that you can laugh about it with, because any other response is just counter-productive.I haven't seen the package in question, but I appreciate that you are contributing to the flight simulation community.

"Sorry, but I don't read "snide and sarcastic remarks" into this e-mail."When someone offers someone a compliment, sincerity is perceived when you say something like "Love the visuals, been looking for a RANS a long time." I would even accept something like "I've made these edits to improve the flight model, what do you think".The only specifics this author gives are gripes.... There's no sincerity in the "Thanks" because (if you read between the lines), the author isn't thanking me for anything. He (or she) just wanted to act like an idiot, IMHO. Certainly didn't offer anything constructive in the post to make me feel good about the time I spent tweaking the flight model, which was considerable. I was well aware of the ceiling on this model, but I wanted to model the low speed flight well. From feedback I've received from real Microlight pilots, my purpose was achieved. Never mind the fact that it's freeware...P.S....Saw your edit Ken.... I understand and accept it....

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I'm not exactly sure what to make of...>I had to come down and "play" closer to the ground.But when he said "Well Done!" I do think he was giving you a genuine compliement. But hey, I could be wrong!Jim Richards

Hey Jim...Every time I see "OneTinSoldier", I think of "Billy Jack" and the theme song. Remember that movie?After reading his email, I was so turned off by the gripes that I sensed the "Well Done" was a bit sarcastic, as if to really mean "You blew it". It's not the first critique I received on the Microlight. The last person though took a completely different tone. He highlighted what was best in the flight model, and what he thought would make it more realistic. I was so impressed with his feedback that I made a custom edit of the FDE, and allowed him to host the Microlight on his site, which is dedicated to Ultralights and Microlights. If I find the link to his site, I'll add it to this post.I love hearing ways to improve things, but I gotta hear a little good with what needs room for improvement. That's how I develop my own employees. Now I'm off to look for that link.....Edit:Here't the link: www.islandmicrolightclub.com