Sign in to follow this  
Guest daves0

Good News, BAD News! New P4 3.2 on P4C800 Deluxe. Advice: Need Help! (Please!)

First the good news.Got my new MB/CPU (retail box with all Intel Originals)/Memory/supplier checkout bundle, installed the bundle, and had unbelievable smoothness in FS2004. Limit set @ 40fps. All sliders at max except traffic which was left at default, which I think was 10-20%. The first two distance weather settings were set at 80 and 40 miles each with clouds and everything else full right. resulting in 30-40fps just about everywhere with default airports. With SimFlyers KJFK, KATL, fps decreased to the teens, even low teens or 10 once or twice but smoothness was still there for the aircraft of choice. (PSS 747 or my favorite 717). Slight stutter on distant scenery, but nothing one could not live with.Uh Oh! Beginning of the bad news: The computer locked up.I realize this is a long post, but it has been a long 72 hours, and I need help badly. I sure would hate to return this bundle after the above smoothness results.Note: This summary takes place over the last three days.My original system (which worked like a charm except for the slide show.)Asus A7A266 MBAMD 1.2512 MemAsus Ti4600 Video BoardDetonator 45.23DirectX9.0BWinXPProCDROMCDRW (Separate drive)LS120Floppy DriveSCSI 36GB Primary HD7200 RPM IDE 40GB Secondary HDSB PC512 Sound CardNew System:Asus P4C800C Deluxe MBP4 3.2GHz 800MHzKingston KVR400X64C3AK2 Mem 1GB (Twin 512's)New case with 430 Watt PSInstalled three case fans. (One directly in front of CPU in case side)Everything else retained from the original systemWent for broke: Reformatted my main HD and reloaded WinXPPro and FS2004 only. (with 45.23 detonator drivers and directX9.0b They were also installed.)I have a second hard drive, but did leave it disconnected at this time. The only programs installed were WinXPO and FS2004. No addon's except FSUIPC.Same results. The computer locked up. It evolved until the lock up took place on the takeoff roll every time. (default 172 at default airport).Turned sound off. Same results.Tried 44.67 video drivers. Same result.Off of advice on this forum, opened the case and tried a big fan .No problem for some time. (She locked up on me once in word.) If I turn the big fan off, within a few seconds the system locks up (FS2004 only).Findings: Temperatures by the Asus Cmos hardware monitor: CPU 51-52 degrees C.Case temperature 28-34 degrees C. I would think this is acceptable, but any input from anybody would be appreciated.Now a puzzle. I installed Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5) to monitor the temperatures. The CPU reading for the 1.2 AMD had always been in the high 60's to low 70's C and ran flawlessly for several years (On 24 hours per day). Back to the P4, the case temperature reads about the same as the Cmos monitor reading. The CPU temperature reads 88-92 degrees C which I assume is bogus. I would think the CPU would be fried at this temperature. I also see that MBM5 has a correction factor to be entered in the setup which I assume addresses this reading, but have not studied the subject enough to be sure.Reloaded WinXP and FS2004. Hooked up my second Hard drive. With everything maxed out including traffic (Seatac default)fps anywhere 30 and 40. (Big fan blowing directly into open case).Put the computer on the bench. I don't believe the retention system was locked tight on the CPU/heatsink/fan. Made sure everything was secure. (There was heat transfer heat compound present much to my surprise) With great anticipation, cranked her up again. The Cmos CPU reading reduced from 51 or 52 degrees to 47 or 48 degrees C. Hope Hope Hope! No dice, same results.Gave up and went to work on a word document. Much to my surprise, the system locked up on me once. This was the only time in three days that any bad results made themselves known except when I was running FS2004.The Monkey and bannana routine (trial and error fan) seems to definitely imply that the problem is high temperature, however, the cmos temp reading I would think is in conflict with this. I don't know whether something else is involved or not. Monday I will start pulling cards and try to see if something else is envolved, but before I did, I thought maybe somebody else had been down this road and had some advice to offer.After the second winxp and FS installation, I updated from Mr. Gates site for SP1 and all critical updates along with most of the recommended updates. I ran the system for most of 24 hours continually with the case closed (No big fan) in a normal configuration. No problems. The only time I have seen a problem is with FS2004 with the exception of the single glitch I mentioned in Word above.I don't know whether it is just a temperature problem, something else, or a mixture of the two. I also am not sure what to do about the temperature if that is what it is. Pull the CPU and reinstall? A different heatsink and/or fan? Water cooling? From what I have seen on this forum, I would think that with no overclocking, anything but the standard Intel cooling would not be necessary. I thought that the P4 was a better option relative to temperature issues than the AMD. I sure hope water cooling is not the only solution, as overclocking does not seem to be necessary for great performance in FS2004 relative to FPS.Any help sure would be appreciated.RTH

You do not say what BIOS version you have. Make sure you have v1010 now. I also had some temp issues, not ocerclocked yet either, so I got the fan in my sig. She's running so good. Hope this helps. Jay:-wave_____________________________________________________________________

Guest daves0

maybe you should pull out one of your ram modules to see what will happen...if the one left still has problem...put the other one in its place...

>

>>You do not say what BIOS version you have. Make sure you have>v1010 now. >>I also had some temp issues, not ocerclocked yet either, so I>got the fan in my sig. >>She's running so good. Hope this helps. >>Jay>:-wave>>_____________________________________________________________________Jay:If you don't mind my asking, what temperatures did you have before finding the solution, and what were they after you got everything working. Another reply on another forum tells me even at the high 40's or low 50's I am running too high. Their posted temps for a P4300 were the low thirties.Also, where did you get the new Zalaman cooler? Was this the solution?Thanks:RTH

Guest daves0

seems to me that having to use a cooler other than the included one that comes with the product is not necessary, or why would intel use that one???You ought to get your money back, if that is the problem.

My P4-2.4 runs at 60 degrees when running FS9 in a warm room (according to Asus Probe) standard Intel cooling.. no lockups..The "red-line" in the Asus Probe temperature panel is at 90 degrees C.

Bert

Just to share with you the results of my upgrade. Upgraded my FS computer to ASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe with P4 3.0, after running FS9 for 1.6 hrs. last evening checked the temp and it was 45.5c/113.5f max. I have a total of 19.3 FS9 flight hours trouble free on new system. I have checked the intel web site and it appears temp is on the high side. My system includes four case fans plus CPU fan that came with intel box. Wish you luck.Erv KSDFASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe/P4 3.0, Win XP Home Edition Service Pack, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB, Antex SL400Watt PS, Seagate 40 GB 7200 RPM, 2ea Corsair 512 MB DDR400 RAM

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

>My P4-2.4 runs at 60 degrees when running FS9 in a warm room>(according to Asus Probe) standard Intel cooling.. no>lockups..Asus Probe isn't an accurate reflection of the actual heat coming from your CPU. Take off around 8 - 10c from their report and you'll have a rough estimate of the actual temp.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

YEA!!! SOLUTION!!! (I think)For a reply to all of your kind advice and in the hope that it helps somebody else, with your permission I would like to reply to your suggestions:Jay: I updated my bios as you suggested.Dave: Never got around to checking RAM before I found the solution (I think)Bert, John, and Ery: My temperature is pretty well in the middle of your listings.Idle, CPU readings are in the low 40

Guest daves0

congrats :)I'll keep that in mind for future reference...hopefully not needed