Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

RC4 & UT2 & ASE

Anybody out there who is successfully using RC4 with UT2 and ASE? 1. UT2 has a default range for injecting AI of 25 NM (I think, somewhere around that number). I believe RC4 needs to check traffic like 100 NM (again, somewhere around that number, I'm not at home... or 40NM, I'm not sure anymore) before landing. UT2 is quite hard on FPS so changing it form 25 to 100 doesn't sound promising for performance. Anybody successfully solved this problem?2. ASE needs DWC for a couple of functions to work: visibility graduation and smoothing, prevent cloud redraws. With DWC on RC4 doesn't work properly. Anybody successfully solved this problem?Because of that I'm now using MyTrafficX and DWC off in ASE but I get cloud pop ups and this "visibility layer" is turning on and off randomly. What I miss the most is UT2 traffic with 3d lights at night.. the sky looked spectacular! I don't think I saw 1 light up in the sky with MyTraffixX (but it gives me a little better FPS, at least something). So, in my perfect world I could use RC4 with UT2 and ASE without problems, without wrong weather information and with traffic beyond 25 NM.

1. Try 40 to 50 nm out for UT2 AI rendering. 2. See my pinned post about ASE at the forum top about running without DWC in FSX and workarounds. As I recall the ASE manual had some suggestions regarding settings in FSUIPC 4 for FSX. You might have to register it since I do not know nor have the setup to check it for what features are available for FSX. You have FSUIPC 4 for RC installed. Look at FSUIPC.log from your last flight with ASE to see if it is recognized. You might have to set an option in ASE and check the hi-fi sim support forum here on AVSIM.

If you compare UT2 performance with 25NM and 50NM.. what's the difference?I have registered version of FSUIPC and it's all good except cloud redraws (popping clouds) and I don't know if visibility graduation and smoothing is working since it needs DWC on.

A trick you can do with UT2 is set a target framerate. If you leave that target framerate in the UT2 setup as unlimited, then it will just produce the amount of aircraft requested. If you set a target framerate, it will start to remove planes when your frames start to take a hit, a pretty nice feature.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

With the new build of ASE there are new problems.. In "Standard" mode (must have for RC4 to work) on every weather update the sky begins flashing and FSX stuttering and it very annoying. They say it's unavoidable. Great! Another critical problem with my "must-have" addons. So, now I need 50nm (instead of 25 or something) radius of UT2 AI traffic which is very very bad for performance and I can't even use both RC4 and ASE properly. What if I eliminate one of those two problems... either use ASE DWC mode (wrong destination winds, temps,..) or smaller radius for AI traffic? If I use smaller radius and still have correct winds from ASE "Standard" mode, RC4 would still work properly and get the right runway to land (based on the winds), right, even though there is no AI traffic at that time (usualy RC4 checks for that about 50nm from the destination)? Or not? Sadly, this ASE update flashing is far worse than FPS impact of UT2 AI at 50nm. :(

I do not understand why UT2 causes such an FPS drop rendering AI at 50 nm out unless its AI models are far too complicated (polygon count). The FS9 UT 2007 version has no FPS problem with the 40 nm rendering.As usual FSX requires a very high performance CPU for even for medium scenery adjustments.It has been illustrated in a series of benchmarks run in articles in Computer Pilot that using Win 7 (with i-940 CPUs) allows FS to render more efficiently than VISTA (or Win XP by extrapolation). The off the record rumor is that when the GPU is not heavily loaded (and FS uses the CPU mostly for 3D rendering) Win 7 will pass complex math processing calls to the GPU offloading some tasks from the CPU. This in those test gave abouty a 25% boost. So if you are not on Win 7 it may be advisable to try it.Another thing you can do with UT2 is to lower the AI percent somewhat but keep the range at 50 nm to still allow the AI pattern observation.Regarding ASE apparently there still remains an option to lock the destination weather for a certain range from destination. This means that at a certain distance out you'll find the weather not necessarily matching your pre-flight METARS but at least it will be stable during your approach for a consistent AI pattern.See if there are any users experiencing the video problems by looking at the Hi-Fi Sim forum here on AVSIM.