Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Anyone know if California and Pacific NW landclass works in FS9?

I liked these in FS2002. Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I'm using the FSGenesis USA landclass and it works great in FS2004. I have tried various freeware landclass for other parts of the world and those seem to work great as well.If you plan on putting the landclass files in their own directory and adding them manually, just make sure you don't give them an empty "textures" folder. A few of us made that mistake and had big performance problems.If you're interested in landclass for the Pacific Northwest, I'd recommend looking at the FSGenesis version of the USA landclass. He has a freeware beta you can download. I've found that his rendition of Washington is much more accurate than the seperate Pacific NW landclass ... right down to my suburban neighborhood being depicted.

I'll give it another try. I tried the FSLandclass beta in my area and though it may have been more accurate, I liked the looks of the stock stuff better. I did enjoy the old California landclass freeware I found here. I'll try the beta again at your suggestion.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest JoeW

All work fine. If you have mine and Bob's Florida landclass and the USA landclass of Justins.... Load the Florida first, start the sim then exit. Then install the USA Landclass.... That will make the Florida landclass load first.The proper place for landclass is the FS9scenerybasescenery folder, and no place else. Later you wont have any problems with it here.If by chance you want to disable the landclass ... You just rename the bgl to a *.bak.The landclass that is loaded first will load over a landclass that is loaded later.That should be a FS axiom...Joe Watson

Guest Milamber

"The proper place for landclass is the FS9scenerybasescenery folder, and no place else."I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. You can put landclass in ANY sepparate folder and add it with the scenery library and it works just fine, as long as you don't have a texture subdirectory which is the same as it was with 2k2. You just have to make sure that you move the priority of the landclass down below the default scenery for the cities, ie just above the base entry. I personally dislike placing things in the default folders because it is difficult to tell what is what if you later want to remove something. Plus if you add things with the scenery library I believe the sim will load the landclass with the highest priority so you can control what will display this way (not to mention you can disable or enable the landclass pretty easily, although you do have to quit and re-start the sim).

Guest JoeW

Well.... I can't count the number of people that have installed landclass as you describe and later it didn't show. My co-worker installed his that way and about 3 months later he said it wasn't showing. You may install it as you see fit. I'm just trying to head off problems before they happen.EnjoyBlue Sky'sJoe W.

Guest Milamber

And I can't count the number of people who say different. Landclass works just fine by adding it through the library. More than likely those that had problems did it incorrectly, for example by having an empty texture directory. My point is people should decide for themselves how best to add it. Your saying that your way is the ONLY proper way was incorrect and could lead to problems itself such as not knowing what was what when you wanted to uninstall or change something. Personally I prefer to keep the default folders clear, although I have installed textures in the default texture folder because they are used by several sceneries (apt, vod, tree library, etc).

Hi Joe and Milamber.First, Landclass in FS2002 and FS2004 can have it's own project folder and added to the Scenery Library that way.Second, there can be a local texture folder, but ALL the landclass numbers in the BGL must have ALL the corresponding correct textures in the texture folder. ( If they aren't all there, the FS2004 memory leak will occur ). If 4 landclass numbers are used, then 4 sets of textures must be present. If you are using the default textures for the landclass, then NO texture folder should be present.Third, the order of the Scenery Library can then control the order of how they are shown, with the last Library entry showing over the first:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33309.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33310.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33311.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33312.jpgIn the same folder, I believe the display order would be controlled by the name ( not positive about this for FS2004 just yet )... so zzz_LC.bgl would show over aaa_LC.bgl, because zzz is loaded last.Edited:Yes, I can confirm that in the same folder the landclass ZZ_LC.bgl will get loaded after AA_LC.bgl, and ZZ_LC.bgl will display ON TOP OF the other( because it's loaded last ).Last loaded = displayed on top. In this way landclasses can be layered.Dick

Guest JoeW

Dick....It's been my experence that if you place it in a folder even with-out a texture folder, sooner or later it will quit working. Might have something to do with layers.... I don't know.Bob Brown, the guy that helped with the Florida Landclass, placed his as a scenery folder and listed it in the scenery.cfg and with-in 3 months it stopped showing. I have had a large number of people to have landclass to stop showing installed that way.This is why I say: " The only place landclass should be installed is the FS9scenerybasescenery folder. Do it that way and you won't have any problems." However, If anyone wants to put it somewhere else... Thats up to him... I'm not disagreeing with you.. Just my experience.Joe W.

Guest Speed

Whadya mean sooner or later? We only just got FS9.BTW I found out by adding usa landclass after megascenery that the landclass must be a lower priority than any photo scenery or the photo scenery dissappears.Speed.

Hi Speed.Yes, that would happen. Photoreal is just a type of landclass BGL that uses values #252 or #253 for the photo "slices", and value #254 for the unchanged areas.Dick

Guest JoeW

Excuse me....I have only created about 100 landclass scenerys. You have probaly done more as you know more than I. Blue SkiesJoe W.