Sign in to follow this  

Approach Question

You've just departed Yuma in the King Air to practice the ILS 21R.Your ETE is 15 minutes.Your clearence iscleared to- YUMroute- RV cazzi YUMalt- climb and maintain 4000'freq-124.7xpdr-1234The weather on departure at Yuma is 1,000' ovc and 3 miles, 21R is the active runway.After takoff you contact departure and you are assigned a heading of 030 and they advise you the weather has just gone down to 100' ovc and 1 mile visibility. You pass BZA and realize you are dangerously close to entering the hot restricted area 2306E, after attempting to contact ATC several times without success you decide to continue the flight under NORDO procedures.You are on the BZA 020 radial at 9.0 DME and in the soup with no chance of getting into VFR wx, what do you do?http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...8057f6c21de.gif

Guest RiddlePilot

Its been a while since I studied the lost comms procedures, but I would procede direct to CAZZI and hold as published and then depart on the BZA 7 DME arc to arrive at the FAF (DHOME) at your filed ETA.Of course with 100 and 1, you better be planning on a diversion to your alternate (you did file one didn't you ;))

It was a trick question, check the MSA, it's the highest of the 3 altitude choices you have.Your route sounds right, direct to the fix you were being vectored to except I would depart cazzi at the ETA not the faf. As far as the 100 and 1, those are the easy approaches, it's the 100 and a half that I'm ready to go missed on.Anyway I forgot to mention the alternate is Lake Havasu City, the weather is good, the beer is cold and the girls are HOT right about this time of year, I'm go'in missed on purpose, they can drive to havasu for the freight.

Guest RiddlePilot

You must have been adding the clearance limit part as I was typing my reply. Had I seen that, I would have said to depart CAZZI at the ETA. Had the airport been your clearance limit, you would depart the FAF at the ETA, correct? Also, the 100 foot ceiling is below minimums even for a straight in, so why whould you not be worried about it?

Guest tallpilot

If your coming to Lake Havasu City in FS2004 Freightdog, don't look for the London Bridge or the Sand Bar "cus the ain't there" :-( If your ever in Havasu for real, give me a call and I'll buy you a beer.:-)Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot(Retired Northwest and Baron driver)

You are only required to have visibility to land, the ceiling is not a factor when flying an approach, anyway with 1 mile vis and 100' ovc you can usually see the airport at DH. Part 91 you don't even need to have the required vis to shoot the approach. Part 135 is a different story, you must have the required vis before you are legally allowed to fly the approach. I've shot quite a few approaches in real life with 100' ovc and a half mile vis, those bright approach lights are nice to see at DH, that means you can continue down to 100' agl, by than you should at least have 1 or 2 runway lights in sight.By the way when I am descending on down to 100' agl I am still in and out of the gauges to backup what I'm looking at outside, I think that's how everybody does it.