Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Windows 8

http://windows8center.com/Hopefully this doesn't be the wild card in Flight's development similar to the fiasco of Vista when FSX was in development. Gearing a product to a new OS with promises of a new DirectX version can be problematic. Coupled with a projection of where hardware is going can reign havoc on a products development path and ultimately performance on end users machines. I was hoping the next version of Windows would be farther out giving sims like Flight a direct development path on an existing OS and DX version. FSX had to back track because Vista wasn't ready at the time of it's release. Hopefully we don't see the same with Flight but if trends are any indication FS many times has been released along the same time Microsoft's new OS hit's the market. FS95 for Windows 95FS98 - Windows 98FS2000 - Windows MEFS2k2 - Windows XPFSX - was to coincide Vista/DX10's releaseFlight/FS11 - Window 8 (maybe)On another note we could really use a version of Flight Simulator that can exploit a 128bit OS. That would be amazing...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest veeray

Wait a minute.. windows doesn't even ship with full 64bit support, now your asking for 128bit OS :) Check the windows 7 versions you will see they all support different max memory limits. :... after a while your forced to switch to Server, and if that's not enough you have to buy qualified systems the OS isn't sold seperately. The funny thing is they all use the same exact kernel.

Wait a minute.. windows doesn't even ship with full 64bit support, now your asking for 128bit OS :)
I'm not asking that's what their releasing as a feature of Windows 8.

FS2020 

Guest veeray

Ah I looked at the page.. Well just remember the IA64 and IA128 chips do 128bit calculations not just control 128bits of address space. Also IA64/128 bit executables are not compatible with x64/x86 software as far as I know, you'd think someone would be running an IA64 with FSX by now given it's superiority over regular x64 chips. The IA64 chip can do something ridiculous like 20 operations per cycle while the x64 only does 4.

Ah I looked at the page.. Well just remember the IA64 and IA128 chips do 128bit calculations not just control 128bits of address space. Also IA64/128 bit executables are not compatible with x64/x86 software as far as I know, you'd think someone would be running an IA64 with FSX by now given it's superiority over regular x64 chips. The IA64 chip can do something ridiculous like 20 operations per cycle while the x64 only does 4.
All I know is there's nothing but good things to come from a version of Flight Simulator that's 128bit compatible (let alone 64bit). That video on the Flight website doesn't seem that far fetched now. What we have to hope for is they don't make the thing too much of a game.

FS2020 

All I know is there's nothing but good things to come from a version of Flight Simulator that's 128bit compatible (let alone 64bit). That video on the Flight website doesn't seem that far fetched now. What we have to hope for is they don't make the thing too much of a game.
HelloFor all this to happen 128bit CPU's will need to be mainstream, as in available in your local PC store around when Flight! is released, not happening anytime soonThe Flight! devs will also need access to this hardware now which they clearly have not.I will be happy if it is a 64bit only program.Windows 8 will most likely be 64bit only as a first move to drop legacy 32bit apps in preparation for a move to 128bit in windows 9The first 128bit OS will probably have 64bit emulation same as happened in the past with 16/32 32/64Watch the server OS for clues where MS are going, the consumer Operating systems are just lipstick on top of the server OS's from here on in.

No one said that 8 will be 128 bit. Don't listen to that garbage. The info on that site is not by Microsoft. (Microsoft hasn't given any details on 8 anyway):(

Brandon Filer

Guest veeray

Well lets see.. an Itanium chip is about $3000 dollars, and Microsoft doesn't support it anymore... so the chances of a 128bit windows 8 ... absolutely zero.

Guest firehawk44
http://windows8center.com/Hopefully this doesn't be the wild card in Flight's development similar to the fiasco of Vista when FSX was in development. Gearing a product to a new OS with promises of a new DirectX version can be problematic. Coupled with a projection of where hardware is going can reign havoc on a products development path and ultimately performance on end users machines. I was hoping the next version of Windows would be farther out giving sims like Flight a direct development path on an existing OS and DX version. FSX had to back track because Vista wasn't ready at the time of it's release. Hopefully we don't see the same with Flight but if trends are any indication FS many times has been released along the same time Microsoft's new OS hit's the market. FS95 for Windows 95FS98 - Windows 98FS2000 - Windows MEFS2k2 - Windows XPFSX - was to coincide Vista/DX10's releaseFlight/FS11 - Window 8 (maybe)On another note we could really use a version of Flight Simulator that can exploit a 128bit OS. That would be amazing...
That's a pretty funny site. I was thinking about starting up a site with that name (as Windows 8 is inevitable) but see someone has already set one up. Guess I should start working on a Windows 9 Center....This is where I go for the most reliable information on Windows 8 - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ (just click on Windows 8 at the top).Best regards,Jim

That's a pretty funny site. I was thinking about starting up a site with that name (as Windows 8 is inevitable) but see someone has already set one up. Guess I should start working on a Windows 9 Center....This is where I go for the most reliable information on Windows 8 - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ (just click on Windows 8 at the top).Best regards,Jim
You should really Google things before you run your mouth as to what's legitimate and what's not... Windows 8 information has been leaked and the IT community is really buzzing about it. The website I provided is not the only one out there with write ups on it and neither is the link you provided.Here's a more credible link since you thought the last one was funny... :( http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-starts-sharing-windows-8-plans-with-pc-partners/6698

FS2020 

This is where I go for the most reliable information on Windows 8 - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ (just click on Windows 8 at the top).
I find this kind of ridiculous, as not much has bee said about 8. So, what is there to even say about it at this point. It's all a guessing game at this time.

Brandon Filer

Guest firehawk44
You should really Google things before you run your mouth as to what's legitimate and what's not...
Dillon, you haven't changed have you over the years. You're right and everyone else is wrong but if you'll read my post again, I basically agreed with you. If you'll read all the other posts I have put on AVSIM you'll see I do a lot of googling. I knew I might get a response from you like the one you provided but I'm not a fearful man. In any case, I've been happily "running my mouth" for nearly 66 years and loving it! I didn't mean to get you all upset over your post and I apologize!Best regards,Jim

Dillon, you haven't changed have you over the years. You're right and everyone else is wrong but if you'll read my post again, I basically agreed with you. If you'll read all the other posts I have put on AVSIM you'll see I do a lot of googling. I knew I might get a response from you like the one you provided but I'm not a fearful man. In any case, I've been happily "running my mouth" for nearly 66 years and loving it! I didn't mean to get you all upset over your post and I apologize!Best regards,Jim
I apologize as well if I misunderstood your meaning. All I was saying is the word is officially out Windows 8 is around the corner in the since it could coincide with the released of Flight. For me it's a little crazy as we haven't gotten used to Windows 7 yet. I first got word of it last week on my job from one of our developers (I'm a Systems Analyst by trade). I didn't believe it so I Googled it and found allot of info buzzing on the Net about it. I thought I'd post it here as we have no idea when Flight will be released. Both of these programs could go hand in hand. It caught me off guard so many here are dismissing it when we saw what happened with FSX and Vista.

FS2020 

As some of the development team are survivors of the Aces team, I would think they will freeze the DirectX version and development OS early in the Alpha stage. This would mean Windows7 and DirectX11 as the "maximum". There is no Windows8 yet, so they can't target it.But this doesn't mean they wouldn't choose DirectX9 and WindowsXP. The greatest user base exits at these levels. And a sim at that level would still run as well in Windows7. They may make the compiled sim and DLLs as Large Address Aware to utilize the /3gb switch, if they go this route.Personally, I would recommend the Great Leap Forward. Windows7 and DirectX11 required, with a minimum of 4gb system memory... and kill the backwards compatibility. Then we'd have something truly new to complain about.Dick

Guest veeray
As some of the development team are survivors of the Aces team, I would think they will freeze the DirectX version and development OS early in the Alpha stage. This would mean Windows7 and DirectX11 as the "maximum". There is no Windows8 yet, so they can't target it.But this doesn't mean they wouldn't choose DirectX9 and WindowsXP. The greatest user base exits at these levels. And a sim at that level would still run as well in Windows7. They may make the compiled sim and DLLs as Large Address Aware to utilize the /3gb switch, if they go this route.Personally, I would recommend the Great Leap Forward. Windows7 and DirectX11 required, with a minimum of 4gb system memory... and kill the backwards compatibility. Then we'd have something truly new to complain about.Dick
Yeah I don't see them killing 32bit compatibility so much as I see them killing XP, because after all it's been 10 years, buy another OS already :)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.