Sign in to follow this  

Aircraft Textures - Slow to Load

I have run into a problem in FS2004 while using 3rd party (freeware) planes that are 2004 ready. The problem is that when I switch from cockpit view to spot plane view, the plane shows up bare and after maybe 5 - 10 seconds, the textures then pop up. It does not happen all the time. Sometimes when I cycle they are there and sometimes thaey are not. Happens with IFDG, Posky and Meljet planes. My system should be able to handle the this, (2.8Ghz PIV, 512 MB Ram, 128 MB ATI 9800) Not using the latest Catylst 3.6 drivers but I am not sure if it is video driver related or to do with something else.Display setting changes within FS2004 do not seem to make a difference. Sorry if this has been discussed already, I tried to search on this but got to many un-related hits.Any insight on this would be appreciated.Thanks,Mark

Guest Bambi

Hey Mark,There was a tweak (might be in the FAQ here in the forum) regarding textures popping in when you cycled the views but I don't remember if it was land textures or plane textures. Do a search on the forum for "Big Shot" as he listed the change in the fs9.cfg file for this tweak. I'm running with the Cat 3.4 drivers on a 9800 Pro 128 and this plane texture lagging only occurs with me in the create a flight screen when I pull up a 3rd party aircraft, it may take 5-10 seconds for the texture to come up in the picture. Normally while sitting on the runway, I'll cycle the views and might have some plane texture lag on the tower view but once it fills in and I take off, it's gone for the rest of the flight. I spend more time outside the aircraft than inside so I'm cycling views frequently.You might also want to look at Big Shot's tweak suggestions in various posts (he's running a Radeon with Omegadrivers). I've adopted a lot of his suggestions and now have FS2004 running smoothly at 1280x1024x32 with frames locked at 20fps. Outside of the texture drop-in at the create a flight screen and initially on the tower view, the plane textures are okay during flight.I haven't tried the Omegadrivers or the Cat 3.6's yet, but Big Shot reports good results with the omega's thus far.Hope this helps.

I found the post... thanks a lot for the tip! :-)Mark

I wonder if you might share the link. I haven't been able to find it in the search mode. I posted earlier about the great new IFDG 767s, but the agonizingly long texture loads in spot views.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090