Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

3D card settings: "performance" or "quality"?

Do you check "performance" or "quality" in your 3D settings? On my 9800Pro ATI card, my settings are as follows: AA = 6X AF = 8X Texture = slider to full right Mipmap = slider to full right Wait for Verical Sync = slider in middle Truform = OffI set my card to Quality. When I switch it to performance, I see very little difference. How do you set your card settings, and what have you found to be best? Dell 8250, 2.8gig, 1024RDRAM, 9800Pro ATI, Audigy 2 sound. Stan

Guest Bigshot

I run 16xAF Performance mode. Like you said, very little quality difference. Just make sure you check Trilinear Filtering in the settings/display/hardware in the game. With the ATI, you get a big kick in performance, still run Trilinear Filtering and it eliminates that distinct line between high res and low res textures. Looks much more natural in performance mode. How you liking that card?

Guest wathomas777

With FX5200 Nvidia Cards the change is noticable. It seems to affect the Mip Mapping Quality. If I set for performance, the textures are much more fuzzy and out of focus, like setting the MIP map slider down.I always use highest quality. I will sacrifice many things to get the view out of the cockpit to 'look' right.

Guest Bigshot

I think that's because Nvidia's Performance Mode forces and locks bilineal textures on and you cannot override that within the game settings. That's a driver thing. Unlike ATI, which lets you override the change back to trilineal filtering. I get to see trilineal filtered textures when running my 9700 Pro in Performance mode. At least on the surface.Here's an article with links that kinda explains what the differences are: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAyLDM= Here's a discussion about the implementation: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...hlight=layering

I LOVE THIS CARD! I replaced an ATI 9700TX with this 9800PRO, and it's a world of difference. I will change my AF setting to 16X and switch to Performance mode. What's your AA setting? Stan

Guest Bigshot

4xAA is enough if you're running 1600x1200x32; at 1280x1024x32 I prefer 6xAA.

Stan - Are we having fun yet? :-) I just leave mine on Quality with the AA at 6X and the AF at 16X. I've never seen enough of a difference at any resolution up to 1600x1200x32 to drop them down to Performance.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Bigshot

Stan; yeah, quality looks really nice; but can you zoom in on your airplane in outside view and spin around it a dozen times really, really fast completely smooth and still drink half a beer without falling off your chair in quality mode. ?

Guest SoarPics

"but can you zoom in on your airplane in outside view and spin around it a dozen times really, really fast completely smooth and still drink half a beer without falling off your chair in quality mode."Off to try this now... :-)

AwwwwRight! Did it...but used a "Margarita" instead. 2oz of Jose Cuervo Tequila, and 6oz of Cuervo Margarita Mix....splash of Triple Sec, and put in blender with ice. Pulse blender to make ice into small pieces. Must salt rim of "Real" Margarita glass. Pour and serve. Then....proceed to MSFS2004 after making all AA and AF settings (stay on Quality, rather than performance). Use spot view and hold hat control to left or right. Spin, baby, spin. Any stutters....from the program, that is? Stan

Guest PaulL01

>I run 16xAF Performance mode. Like you said, very little>quality difference. Just make sure you check Trilinear>Filtering in the settings/display/hardware in the game. With>the ATI, you get a big kick in performance, still run>Trilinear Filtering and it eliminates that distinct line>between high res and low res textures. Looks much more>natural in performance mode. >>How you liking that card?ATI performance mode is not an application mode and does not hand off control to FS9 nor any other D3D game, what you have observed about the "distinct line" being "eliminated" is the exact result of the more blurred Bilinear filtering that the Performance mode uses hence the increase in "performance" vs the lower performing but better focused tilinear image via the "quality" settings.Running Trilinear filtering actually exposes rather than "eliminates" the distinction between mips in FS terrain. Running mipmap LOD at a setting at the driver level of just a touch negative(-0.3 etc.) pushes that "line" out a bit more towards the distance allowing Trilinear with high anisotropic filters to good effect.

Guest Bigshot

Given the choice between Quality AF and Performance AF, I actually prefer the Performance 16xAF with the trilinear filtering on in the sim. Running bilineal looks just plain aweful. IMHO. The problem with Quality 16AF in FSim is that it looks so good halfway out to the horizon (Like a 5megapixel digital photo) and then meets the lower quality textures at a distance leaving a distinct line in the sand so to speak. Running performance mode 16xAF still looks awesome and all of the texures blend extremely well all the way to the horizon. Gradually fading out. The near textures are still very high res and clear and I really have to look to see the difference; but it just looks more natural throughout and I get a bonus in framerates. Don't really need the boost, but I'll take it whenever I can get it. That wouldn't be the case running a game in a more confined area where I'd want quality AF turned on. It's nice to have so many different options to play around with and it's personal preference. To each their own, I say.

Guest product

Guys,Bilinear vs. Trilinear for the ATI 9700- could someone please explain the difference for me? I run Performance mode 1280x960x32, 4X AA and 16X AF, but with Bilinear filtering. What visual change will I see if I switch to Trilinear? And at what performance hit to FPS?Any info appreciated, I've never quite understood this setting. Thanks!Joel

Guest Bigshot

Just switch to Trilinear and see. No, you likely won't even notice a performance hit. But you'll see some awesome differences.I fell off my chair and hit my head. Course I was doing the spinning on the vertical axis. Much more challenging that way.