Sign in to follow this  
Guest aafuss

Upgrade to XP or Clean Install XP - That is the Question

OK. Now I've decided to go to Windows XP Home from Windows 98Se. It is now a question of economics. It will cost me $300 to purchase Windows XP Home and have my PC builder do a clean install for me. All things considered, it's the right way to do it. I understand that with the Windows XP Upgrade, which I can get for $99 at Wal-Mart, I can convert my FAT32 disk to a NTFS disk with no problem. While I realize that there may be a lot of things left hanging from Win98, what real advantage is it to me to spend the extra $200 for a clean installation? Will it improve the performance of FS9? Just curious -- actually, I need a real good reason to spend the extra $200 so I can convince the wife. :-roll

Guest luhiss

As far as I understand, you can do a complete and fresh install if you purchase the "upgrade" disc. You may just need to insert your win98 disc to confirm that it is in fact an upgrade.I just reinstalled XP the other day.. and it was from an upgrade disc. It was on a freshly formated disc drive.No need to purchase the $300 deal... Luhiss

You do not need to buy the $300 version. Windows 98se qualifies for an upgrade, which is the same full version. All it does is check that you have a qualifying product. You can still do a clean full install with the upgrade...Of course if your 98se is ahem ahem you know...,;-) well you will need the full $300 versionHope I caught you in time :-)

Guest panda234

The xp upgrade will ask for the serial number from your win 98 license. You don't even need the disk, just the serial number if memory serves me correctly. Then you format the drive when you install xp(it'll be FAT), do a clean install, then upgrade to NTFS when you're done. You'll be amazed at the difference between xp and win98...rgds,billg

I highly recommend when you do it, let XP format the HD (at least the partition you are installing the OS too) so it is a clean install and not an upgrade over 98. More often then not when XP upgrades over a previous OS, it screws up the HD Cluster size (makes them way too small), and this can put a very big performance hit on games. This is a well documented bug, and once done not easy to fix. I also recommend blowing off XP Home...it should never been released. Spend the extra and get Pro...it's worth it in the long run...

Guest kilo_sierra17

I agree, go for XP Pro and format the HD or parition that the OS is going on to and make it the NTFS file system, it is definetly worth it and you will benefit by getting better performance.

Guest Ed_S

Clean install from the upgrade disc is all that is neccesary besides your ligit 98 cd. Format the HD to NTFS and creat partitions at the same time. You will be prompted to insert your windows 98 cd to verify that you are legal holder. Then follow the prompts on the XP disc once you are asked to re-insert it. I dont know the difference between Xp Home and the Full version Xp Pro? Besides some xtra features? But i have never had a problem with Xp Home at all. Also change your bios to boot from cd rom drive. Put Xp disc in drive and restart your pc. Xp will do the rest and follow the prompts. Change your bios Boot back to what it was before after you are done with install. Have all driver cd's with you also.Ed

Steve - Here's the straight skinny on a clean install of XP: http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html You don't need the full version as your existing Win98SE will satisfy the XP "upgrade version" installer. You probably don't want to try an upgrade as opposed to a clean install. Upgrades are often dicey and doing an upgrade on a system with a problem is most likely just going to carry the problem forward to the new install.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

"I also recommend blowing off XP Home...it should never been released."What a load of ill-informed rubbish!! Don't listen to him. The only difference between the Home and the Pro Version is in the networking goodies that come with the Pro version. If you're not likely to be doing any sophisticated networking then the Home version will do just fine. I installed it last August and it has proved 100%...yes that's 100%...reliable and fast, although you do need a descent amount of Ram - say 512-1024MB.Mike

Guest Rockcliffe

I've been very pleased with my upgrade from ME to XP. I have the home version and did an upgrade and all is working fine.The only caution I have is that all my backups were made with Easy CD Creator by Roxio. As it turns out, they weren't compatible with XP.BlairCYOW

Guest aafuss

>I've been very pleased with my upgrade from ME to XP. I have>the home version and did an upgrade and all is working fine.>The only caution I have is that all my backups were made with>Easy CD Creator by Roxio. As it turns out, they weren't>compatible with XP.>Blair>CYOWOur copy of XP acadameic pro version was A$185-usuaLLy it's $500