Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowat

I Just Blew my Mind

Guest A321

Hi all,I just had the most amazing and exciting flight so far in FS2004.If you want to know more read on.....I decided to fly from KLAS to Aspen (Dave Erickson), in the Eaglesoft Premeir1.I took of from KLAS, and had to battle some severe turbulence at about 10000 - 13000 feet. after that all was good until reaching around FL280 where i got more turbulence. Using activeskys radar I did note any bad weather, so I guess it was just windy up there.Anyways all the way's to descent from FL350 was good. about 30NM from aspen the weather got bad again (well the turbulence was) the ceiling was 6000, and I knew i was in for a rough one.Dave Erickson kindly pointed out the FS2004 ATC will vector you in to a mountain, and suggested to select an approach from the GPS. I selected the suggested approach, and had a circle to land at Runway 33. Now im at 14000 feet, and the fun started, it was dusk by the time I got to aspen, and the approach was a visual :(. once inbound im steadily following the approach when suddenly I

Sounds like fun. That Aspen approach is tricky. I usually fly a certain pattern to avoid problems, but that's when I can see where I'm going.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest panda234

hey Jason, thx for sharing this with us. Sounds like your knuckeles are still white, hehe. I'm with you, there are times when I get so ingrossed, or submersed, whatever the expression is, that I come out of it (after a perfecrt landing, of course) and almost wonder where I am. Sounds like you had fun--good on you....billg

Thanks for sharing and using our product!JimActiveSky Support

Guest ba747heavy

What a great story! Thanks for sharing :D

Jason that approach with that weather is INSANE:-):-)Thanks for using our planes and for the story!

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest A321

Thanks for reading Guys.I guess that approach was just "Plane Crazy", and as for mistaking the ligthts of a departing Lear for the PAPI......I think Untill I get to know aspen better, the PAX will have to make use of the barf bag. :)Jason

Guest Philip Olson

Yes, Aspen does tend to take some time to master, if I want a challenge that is the airport that I choose. I am originally from Colorado so I used to ski there often plus I lived in the area for about a year and I can say that watching some of the real pilots make their approaches to Aspen that they have problems sometimes too, especially in weather. If anyone wants a challenge do a short hop from Grand Junction, Colorado Springs or Denver to Aspen and dial up a bit of weather, you will not regret it! Jason, you did good to get it down in one piece! Did you indeed circle to land on 33? I am still trying to perfect that one. I can do it easily in a slow aircraft but trying that landing in a biz jet or something like an ERJ is a real pain in the rear! Maybe some day I will become proficient enough. Hey I can dream can't I?Philip

Guest jason2112

Thanks for that great story, Jason! I wish more people would write about their adventures in the sim from time to time. Most of the talk here seems to be about PC problems. Stories like yours inspire me to try new things. After I'm finished with today's work, I'll load up the sim and try some approaches at Aspen, that's for sure :)VOlker :]

Guest JeanLuc_

great story Jason! Reminds me the "I learn about flying like this" articles in Flying Magazine!Do you also have retrofitted the Premier I with Reality XP's Jet Line 4?

Guest danowat

Tell me about it, I have been trying for ages to get the FS ATC to give proper clearances, but it always seems to give RWY 33 for approach.I have tried closing RWY 33 in AFCAD for landings but FS still uses it.If anyone finds out a way to do it, I would be most gratefull."Runway 15: Runway 15 is the preferred runway for all landings" from the aspen website.CheersDan.

Guest ismetM

Nice one Jason...it's good to read something like that for a change. We need a few more of those flying stories. I didn't know about Aspen but I'm gonna try it tonite!