Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Possible FS9 issue - weather themes and inaccurate windsocks

Thanks to Christian, we can now create our own weather themes. One of things he discovered was that the new weather theme functionality lets us set a variation in both wind speed and direction for a given area.I created a test theme over the weekend that allowed for wind direction variations of between 240 degrees and 320 degrees within a particular area. When I test flew in that particular area, I was really pleased to note when doing touch and goes at the local airport, the wind direction kept changing. On one approach, I had a strong left crosswind on runway 30, on another I had a right crosswind component and on yet another I had a perfectly dead-on headwind.All great, except for one thing. The windsocks only showed the wind as coming from 240 degrees the whole time - even with the 320 degree right crosswind and the 300 degree headwind. As a result, I stuffed up one of my landings in the Piper Cub and crashed it. By the time I realised the windsock was a liar, it is was too late to do anything about it (yeh I know, I should have gone around). So it looks like the windsocks are going to read incorrectly whenever a variation in wind direction is used in a weather theme.Hard to say if this is just something that was too difficult for MS to implement or perhaps there is something strange with the way I did my weather theme. I guess a lot of people would say "big deal", but if you fly GA and try to do so as realistically as possible, then windsocks that tell fibs are somewhat of a problem. This is especially when you arrive at a non-controlled aerodrome and have to select a runway. It also explains why have had experienced some very unexpected take-off behaviour after checking the windsock and choosing what I thought was the most appropriate runway. I hope there is a way around this.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well I think this might be specific to this particular weather theme. After loading this theme, I noticed my weather going crazy, with the wind direction changing by 1 degree every second and going right round every degree on the compass! I basically had three sets of winds at the same time - (i) the windsock (ii) what was actually happening to my aeroplane and (iii) the red wind indication at the top of the screen - all of them different. I couldn't even clear the weather or change it manually - it just went mad. I suspect not all has been revealed about creating weather themes...

Maybe the wind variation factor cannot be set very high. I've seen it set in the default weather themes, but it only about 5 or 10 degrees. Possibly, those values are ok, but anything larger may be causing problems. This may also be the reason why you can't set the variation in the advanced weather dialog...Cheers, Christian

>Maybe the wind variation factor cannot be set very high. I've>seen it set in the default weather themes, but it only about 5>or 10 degrees. Possibly, those values are ok, but anything>larger may be causing problems. This may also be the reason>why you can't set the variation in the advanced weather>dialog...>>Cheers, Christian>Yes, I've been experimenting with it quite a lot this afternoon. I'd probably recommend that people just leave that particular value at 0. It seems any variation can cause unpredicable results. Even very small variations seem to sometimes cause the windsocks, the actual wind direction and the reported wind (red text) to become out of sync. In the end, I think the variation parameter is only going to be useful if the ATIS, windsocks and red text can report correctly. But everything else I've tried so far (including gusts) seems to work fine. Perhaps MS put the parameter in with the expectation to make wind direction variations a feature of FS2006.

Hmm, have you tried any of the default themes? I think the windy ones usually use a direction variation. Can't remeber now, but I'm quite certain that the winter storm, thunderstorm, and windy ones have a nonzero variation.Christian

It seems that this problem not only occurs with weather themes, but also with downloaded realtime weather. Last night, I checked the wind direction to choose a runway, and found that is was changing rapidly, sometimes even at more than 5 degrees/second. The windsock stayed fixed in one direction however.

>It seems that this problem not only occurs with weather>themes, but also with downloaded realtime weather. Last night,>I checked the wind direction to choose a runway, and found>that is was changing rapidly, sometimes even at more than 5>degrees/second. The windsock stayed fixed in one direction>however.>That's exactly what I was experiencing. For some reason I felt brave and deleted the "wxstationlist.bin" file that resides in my applicationsMicrosoftFS9 folder. After I deleted it, FS9 built another one and the problem went away. Looks like we'll have to watch out for this problem. I almost feel like getting a .bat file to delete the file every time I start the sim up...

I had a browse through the FS9.cfg and found this:MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75Changing those values may have an impact on that behaviour. Interestingly, there are also two undocumented switches:WindMaxVarRampSpeedWindMinVarRampSpeedThree more undocumented switches are:ThemeTimeThemeNameOverrideWeatherTypeI wonder what ThemeTime does. I suspect ThemeName would set the default theme...Cheers, Christian

>I had a browse through the FS9.cfg and found this:>>MinVarTime=5>MaxVarTime=50>MinVarRampSpeed=10>MaxVarRampSpeed=75>>Changing those values may have an impact on that behaviour.>Interestingly, there are also two undocumented switches:>>WindMaxVarRampSpeed>WindMinVarRampSpeed>>Three more undocumented switches are:>>ThemeTime>ThemeName>OverrideWeatherType>>I wonder what ThemeTime does. I suspect ThemeName would set>the default theme...>>Cheers, Christian>>I wonder if ThemeTime hs anything to do with that parameter on the second header of a weather theme. The one that appears after defining the number of cells that you aren't sure about. There's also a SimTime parameter in saved flights. Stuffed if I know what it's about, but it's different in every saved flight and seems to have nothing to do with time as in time of day (or time of anything so far as I can see).

I was thinking about that already. But since the dynamic weather change is controlled by the user menu, I'm not too sure. One possibility would be that this parameter sets a relative dynamic weather change, say when you have medium in the user menu, and that value at a 100 or 150, there will be a difference.Another possibility would still be that that parameter defines grid size, but who knows...Christian