Sign in to follow this  
Manny

What upgrade would U do..if you had my computer?

"Well.. I exchanged it for a nVedia FX-5900 Ultra 256K and all those problems dissapeared... It works well with the latest Driver.. and I am OK"Just curious on the 5900. Does it require special power connectors, and will a 250W PS be ok? Also what brand did you get?ThanksBill

Guest Max Cowgill

Seriously, Manny, how many times are you going to post this? "ATI sucks, blah blah f%*^$ them!" Hearing this once is fine, that's just your opinion, but hearing it repeatedly over the course of only a couple days is more like trolling. Sounds to me like you didn't even put any effort into getting your Radeon to run correctly, I sure didn't see you requesting any help or posting questions here. In fact, it's odd that you knew exactly what problems to look for/report... I'm going to leave it at that and let others make up their minds. You're entitled to hold whatever opinion you want of ATI, but is it really necessary to share it every couple hours or so?-Max Cowgill

The video card is just about the only thing you can upgrade on a Dell cause most everything inside their box is proprietary. I had a Dell but got rid of it because you cannot go buy another motherboard for it and put it in there. If I was you, I would get rid of the Dell and go with something that in the future you can upgrade for a lot cheaper instead of buying a whole new box. Go to one of the boutique makers like Alienware, FalconNorthwest or Velocity Micro (mine is coming from Velocity Micro). That and at least if you need to get ahold of tech support, you will not be transfered to someone in India that barely speaks english and does nothing more than read off of Dell provided scripts which they cannot deviate from. If you don't believe that, go to Dell's own website and read the community boards. There are people there trashing Dell every chance they get over out-sourcing all there tech support overseas. Oh, and before anyone says I am against anyone from India, FALSE! I am against the way Dell has chosen to treat it's customers. Read the reviews at CNET and Dells own site to see what I am saying.

Eric 

Guest PaulL01

Oh Just shut yer pie hole Max! You "hardware killer"! :-lol

Hi bill,thats what I thought..I would require.,.. in Fact..the MAnual says.. I would require 400Watts..and my Dell has 250Watts..but It still works fine.. I had not upgraged my Dell with extra stuff anyway...If it didn't work.. I would have gotten a power Supply.What Brand?..Hmmm..Well..Let me go Check...OK.. It was the Asylum.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OK..OK...I apologize...Just like..I tend to tell others ...how great it is...with something I really like.. Fer instance.. the Mega Scenary.. [ Oh.. yeah..Did I tell you.. these (Megaschenary) are the good guys...unlike those ATI bad guys? :) ] I tend to warn others when I see some crap put out there..But I see that you use a GeoForce yourself..so you have not experienced the agony of the ATI card?BTW.. I have been reading all the ATI card config stuff here... and all the frustration folks have been having (I only wish.. I had read this before I bought my card.) No Point in asking the same Q anyway.. Well.. For that kind of money.. if you you need to be a Rocket scientist to get it to work reasonably well.. that that product Sucks.:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>Hi bill,>>thats what I thought..I would require.,.. in Fact..the MAnual>says.. I would require 400Watts..and my Dell has 250Watts..but>It still works fine.. I had not upgraged my Dell with extra>stuff anyway...>>If it didn't work.. I would have gotten a power Supply.>>What Brand?..Hmmm..Well..Let me go Check...OK.. It was the>Asylum.>>MannyMany thanks. I am thinking a Velocity Micro CPU only would be a good purchase. Price is very reasonable. Bill

Guest Bigshot

More useless opining. Enjoy your Gforce Card. "THE WAY YOU WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED". That doesn't sound right. Isn't that the new Nvidia slogan? I read that somewhere recently. hehehe. Thought it was quite funny!!

Guest PaulL01

>More useless opining. Enjoy your Gforce Card. "THE WAY YOU>WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED". That doesn't sound right. Isn't>that the new Nvidia slogan? I read that somewhere recently.>hehehe. Thought it was quite funny!!Yeah, almost as funny as having to run your high end ATI card at downgraded image quality settings to get it to clear up image issues with an "old" game like FS. ;) And please spare us the "I turn Trilinear filtering back on in the game" statements you have made in the past, "performance" mode does not allow application override here.

Guest Bigshot

You enjoy pushing buttons, don't yah!! That's a bunch of crapola. I sure as heck can tell the difference between bilineal and triliner filtering on my 21" Sony monitor. There's a huge difference in quality between the two filtering types. Night and day. Both FS2k2 and FS2k4 give me the option regardless of whether I'm running performance or quality AF. That's why there's so little difference in visual quality between Quality AF and Performance AF in the sim with ATI cards. Because I can select the trilineal filtering option in the game and it actually works. I know it's a technical compromise; but it looks great. That's what counts.Only GeForce cards won't let you run with trilinear filtered textures in performance mode. That's by driver design with Nvidia cards. Ask Nvidia why that is??? I'd like to know. Nvidia for some reason decided they knew best and not to let the gamers choose within the game settings.There's a whole technical article on how the two different graphics cards do this filtering over at the rage site. Way to techno for me to fully understand and appreciate fully; but my eyes don't lie. And I don't have to do anything. My card is perfectly capable of running Quality AF. In Flightsim with all the wide open spaces, I happen to like the look of performance mode with trilineal filtering selected. In other games that are more closed in, I choose quality AF ever time.

Guest PaulL01

>You enjoy pushing buttons, don't yah!! That's a bunch of>crapola. I sure as heck can tell the difference between>bilineal and triliner filtering on my 21" Sony monitor.>There's a huge difference in quality between the two filtering>types. Night and day. Both FS2k2 and FS2k4 give me the option>regardless of whether I'm running performance or quality AF.>That's why there's so little difference in visual quality>between Quality AF and Performance AF in the sim with ATI>cards. Because I can select the trilineal filtering option in>the game and it actually works. I know it's a technical>compromise; but it looks great. That's what counts.No Big, you cant, a D3D game/application does not override the ATI drivers unless you select "Application" from the control panel.>Only GeForce cards won't let you run with trilinear filtered>textures in performance mode. Sorry, you have no real information here, you read something about a few select driver results for UT and are trying to apply it to every other game including FS, you dont know what you are babbling about.>There's a whole technical article on how the two different>graphics cards do this filtering over at the rage site. Way to>techno for me to fully understand and appreciate fully; but my>eyes don't lie. And I don't have to do anything. My card is>perfectly capable of running Quality AF. In Flightsim with>all the wide open spaces, I happen to like the look of>performance mode with trilineal filtering selected. In other>games that are more closed in, I choose quality AF ever time.Thats: Bilinear and Trilinear Big. Trying to apply what you read that you clearly do not grasp concerning results from one different game to what is or is not filtered in FS or any other D3D game is not helping yer cause, stick with what you know or dont make blanket statements that are false and misleading.You might try reading the ATI driver help files so that you can figure out what settings you can use that will allow application or driver control etc. then your help on this board will come in a bit more handy, this is not UT.

Guest JoeESSA

:-xxrotflmao :-xxrotflmao :-xxrotflmao :-xxrotflmao You guys. You kill me...:-xxrotflmao