Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

Flight Simulator 2002/4 add-ons

Guest jeh2k4

Hello all!!!!I haven't been in here in a proverbial month of sundays. I am still using an p3-866 system with FS2000 still running. I've been recording FS traffic tracks for so long that I hate to give it up. Anyways, I have to get FS 2004. The time is now. I just purchased a new machine. I am curious as to what add-ons are the most popular as far as AI traffic, clouds, terrain, atc? I already purchased radar contact v3 as I have been using v2 on fs2000. Has anyone had any experiences with FSGenesis products in fs2002 or fs2004 as far as framerates. I can't wait to get my new computer!!!Thanks in advance

Welcome back! That's an awesome machine. I'm envious. You'll have a great time with FS2004.Based on your questions, here's some of my thoughts...* For AI traffic, there are a couple of good payware add-ons (Ultimate Traffic being, arguably, the most well-regarded). You can also go the do-it-yourself route with Project AI. They have a very nice installer utility that makes adding flight plans and airlines a real snap. I also highly recommend AI Aardvark planes (highly frame rate optimized), though their stuff requires a bit more effort to get installed and working.* FS2004 isn't really mature enough yet to see much in clouds and terrain textures. There is a nice cloud replacmeent from FSW that is intended to optimize frame rates, but that may not be too much of an issue with your machine ;). FOr improving the accuracy of land textures, I really like the FSGenesis landclass.* FSgenesis mesh works great in FS2004. I am using various 76m and 38m mesh, without any frame rate problems (mesh slider set at 91). I get some odd river, road and lake placements now and then with the mesh, but the beauty of the mountains at dusk makes it all worth it.Enjoy your new machine and FS2004.

the default clouds are good enough that I don't think replacements are needed (though who knows, maybe FSW will do some magic).FSGenesis mesh is good, works quite well. The performance penalty (if any) depends highly on your sim settings and machine overall performance (and specifically CPU and RAM).Personally I notice no or hardly no drop, as both are ample.Take a long hard look at ActiveSky (http://www.hifisim.com) though you might want to wait for version 2 and purchase that.FScene2004 is looking very promising in the beta, but also not released yet (http://www.fscene.com). You may have used the original FS2000 version which at the time was free.

Jeroen,Thank you for mentioning Fscene web site. As an European I was frustrated not having a general scenery product for Europe as FSGenesis only works for the Americas.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest jeh2k4

Can project ai and ai aardvark planes be imported into ultimate traffic(ut)? I wish I could see some screenshots at some of the simflyers airports using the ai!! I'm a big simflyer fan. Nothing like landing or taking off with traffic all around you. FS traffic on fs 2000 is pretty cloogy at times.From the screenshots I've seen the clouds and weather look really good in fs2004. I'll have to see for myself once I get up and running. Is anyone familiar with fs meteo? I am currently using Marc Philberts product for real weather in fs 2000.Glad to hear you are using the FSGenesis products without a performance hit. I liked them in FS2000 but the slide show isn't very fun at times. Also, how are the aircraft sounds in fs2004? I love a LOUD takeoff roll esp in the 727, 737-200.I can't wait until you can see the exhaust or jetwash from the engines. Guess that will be fs 2006.

I believe that video card supports a second monitor. You may need to buy an adaptor for the DVI port, if not supplied. Standard 19' monitors are now dirt cheap (try tigerdirect.com).Then by all means get the new FSNavigator 4.6. This combo will open up a whole new world of FS enjoyment. It's done right. It automatically interfaces to the aircraft's autopilot so that from then on you just pick a spot on the program's map and tell it to fly to that point. Or you can move the plane instantly to anywhere. Why Wait? And the real kicker is you just mouse "drag and drop" frequencies from the screen graphics into the radios. And they (frequencies and corresponding radio icons) are all there in the one program.Another nice thing, is the whole screen automatically darkens at night to cut down glare from the second monitor as you fly.If you want to set up an ILS Approach, just click, "Fly to Here" and pick a spot at the end of the ILS pattern. Then drag that runways ILS frequency into the radio. It's just that simple. And it's all done "off screen" on the second monitor. You always know exactly where you are at while flying, with everything on monitor one still in view.Want to change your destination from Denver to Las Vegas; just zoom out, and click "Fly to Here" over Vegas. Your done !!! Got boring terrain below? Move it up a couple of hundred miles.It's my vote for the No. 1 FS add-on. Boy was I lost until yesterday when the FS 2004 version came out.I've been a little long-winded here, because some people who read these things may not realize the great things this program does. And there's much more in the flight plan area of this program.Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card