Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Stuttering = fragmented FS files??

Now using XP -- but a longtime user of Windows ME before that , I have always run the Windows Defrag tool on a regular basis. When it is finished , you get that familiar little box which says something like "Windows is finished defrag -- do you want to exit now?" and I would always click OK.BUT -- I have just noticed that if you read that little box a bit further, it also says "Windows couldn't defrag some files - click here for a report" . Clicking for a report revealed to me that a number of FS2002 files were reported as being fragmented. The largest was a WX file - UI Generated temporary flight.wx - 3 meg in size with 104 fragments!!So I ran the defrag tool again and this time it completely did the job and reported no files left fragmented.I am just wandering whether this could possibly be causing the "stutters" that many people report. It would be interesting to see whether those who do have this problem have any fragmented FS files in their system.Barry

Guest CapnCol

Morning BazzaI defrag my drives everytime I use my computer and also whenever I finish any game. Because I do it so often it takes only a minute or so and when complete, there are no fragmented files. I still get very bad stutters on my system even though the frame rates are in the teens.There is no specific time that they occur, sometimes it is on take off, often on landing but even when cruising and there is nothing outside to look at.I suspect it may have something to do with my ATI Radeon card (7200 with 64 mb) so I will keep tweeking until it they go away. Colin