Sign in to follow this  
Guest waltch

2d VS. 3d panel FPS in FS2004

Guest Grunt

I have found that I can only achieve about 1/2 the FPS in any 2d panel as I can in 3d panels, even with virtual cockpit gauges set to the high setting. I average about 17 FPS (and smooth) in the DVC but can't break 10 FPS in 2d ( and stuttery), even with the same number of gauges displayed (sometimes more in DVC). This is true for both default and add-on aircraft. No setting changes that I have tried have made a difference in the 2d FPS.Does anybody else have a similar problem? I have some nice GMAX aircraft that use only 2d panels, but they are unusable becasue of the low FPS. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can improve the FPS in my 2d panels to what I get in DVC?Thanks in advance!BTW, I am running an Athlon 1.2, 512 RAM, GF 420MX, Win XP, DirectX 9.0b and all of the most recent drivers for everything.B. StockwellCOO, Spirit Virtual Airlineshttp://www.westernvirtualairlines.com/spirithttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18342.jpg

I've seen that with various addon aircraft (Beech debonair for example). Adding the PanelAsTexture=0 line to my display section of FS9.cfg cured the problem. I still have some issues with simultaneous display of virtual cockpit behind the 2D views. Anyone have a cure for that one?sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest panda234

Stockwell, what do those parameters do? thx,billg

Regardless of whether PanelAsTexture is set to one or zero, 2-d panels seem to cause a performance hit now on some systems, while others are seemingly immune to the issue.I've found ways of minimizing the performance hit.... It's all about "real estate". The more space the 2-d panel takes up on the screen, the bigger the performance hit.Some panels display as one, but are actually two or three panels. By closing those parts you don't really need, you can improve performance 20-30 pct on some systems. Seems the issue isn't tied to the number of gauges...just the open "panel windows" on the screen. A common culprit is a window center post, or an overhead lighting panel.Another option is resizing the panel. It's ridiculous, but if I resize a panel by 50 pct, I can get an additional 2-3 fps, sometimes more. I don't have to touch the out the window display, just the panel.....I have a very slow system, and a slow MB--which probably exaggerate the effects of what I've seen. But these tricks may help you improve performance....especially those of killing the secondary panel windows...-John

I've also been wondering if its an antialiasing issue - the more guages that need to be antialiased the more of an FPS hog the panel is. I wonder if having things like "clear type" enabled in XP effect text in guages? Anyone?sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I've seen no impact with AA on or off.... But I run at a very low res to support my system's weaknesses, so AA could impact the issue at the higher resolutions.With the panel off, I have come to the conclusion that my out the window performance is exactly the same as FS2002 if I match FS2004's detail to FS2002. I get pretty good results, and since a large part of my FS2004 flying is VFR bush style flying, FS2004's become my VFR sim of choice while FS2002 is where I fly the jets and propjets...-John

>With the panel off, I have come to the conclusion that my out>the window performance is exactly the same as FS2002 if I>match FS2004's detail to FS2002. I get pretty good results,>and since a large part of my FS2004 flying is VFR bush style>flying, FS2004's become my VFR sim of choice while FS2002 is>where I fly the jets and propjets...Agreed. Leaves me wondering what's going on "in front of the hood" in FS2004 with the panels...

Guest jdrago

Hi,I have been experiencing the same thing, but even with the default MS AC.I have a brand new Alienware Area 51 (P4 3.2ghz, 1gb RAM, Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra 256mb). Most sliders are at max.I get a comfortable 20-25 FPS with the default aircraft, and even with the new DF 310. For some reason when I load the default 737, and go to the 2d cockpit, my frames go down to 13, and even lower when the plane is pointed at certain parts of the airport. Strangely enough, I have found that this is not consistant, as I can be at some complex airports with no slowdown, but others (such as KSEA) will cause a problem only at a certain viewing angle.From what I have read, many have experienced all these types of strange behaviors, so I'm assuming that the problem either lies with MS, or a combo of MS and the Nivdia drivers. Not sure yet.It seems that at what angle you are looking, and from that, only certain parts of the airport, will drag the frames.It's a bit frustrating since my system is built for speed, and I have to deal with strange things like this that don't make sense based on my configuration!!go figure...- JD

Guest Eric

Hello, ""(P4 3.2ghz, 1gb RAM, Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra 256mb)"".I have the same system only the Nvidia FX 5800 128mb and the Asus Motherboard combo. I don`t have this panel frame rate drop problems from default aircraft, only from 3rd party aircraft, by adding this line panelastexture0, my problems is gone.I would recommend to do test when there is no dense area, for not confusing dense scenery fps drop and with panel fps drop.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33273.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33274.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33275.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/33276.jpgBest Eric

That's why I think system speed and even MB throughput may compound the issue. I see the issue with the detail stripped, even at the simplest of airports and scenery areas, and even with the default panels. As noted above, if I size the panel window to something fairly small (like half to a third of its default size), the problem all but goes away. It'd be great if it were some odd setting related to Windows...-John

Hi, "Strangely enough, I have found that this is not consistant, as I can be at some complex airports with no slowdown, but others (such as KSEA) will cause a problem only at a certain viewing angle."If it is not consistant, The Autogen can be the case here or scenery more denser, when the autogen start to appears it take frame rate drop on some place but still smoooth, and some others less noticable, I have tested on area some yes, others less noticable. I set all fs2004 to full except all shadows. 2x AA, 1024x768 32 MB full screen.(if you reduce the autogen, the problems is almost not noticable)There is a files available for resized autogen and building, there is improvement on frame rate and the graphics are still good."will cause a problem only at a certain viewing angle.""There is more details on scenery in this angle to from another angle ?To be honnest, I did not have any problem with the default panel frame rate drop, from 3rd party add-ons Yes, I have similar result like eric, by adding panelastexture=0 it solve my issue.Also when I change the view, I use the S to cycle view the panel, and from no 2d panel to 2d panel, I use Shift-1 for enabling the 2d panel (not W cycle key) -I would not recommend to disable the Agp Acceleration line, since fs2004 use agp for the panel now and these gforce4 MX and gforce2 don't use DirectX 8/9-Recommend panelastexture=0 -Be sure you have the latest chipset driver and bios installed-Check your agp aperture MB in your bios, since you have a huge system you can increase the agp aperture in your BIOS if it is not already high.I set all fs2004 to full except all shadows. 2x AA, 1024x768 32 MB full screen. ASUS P4P800 BOARD 8X,P4 2.53 GHZ, 512 RAM, GFORCE4TI 4200 8X 128 MB. Latest BIOS and Driver Chipset InstalledThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest jdrago

Hi Eric,Thanks for the note. What are you main display settings set to? Are you using the 44.67 drivers in order to cure the 2d cockpit blackout problem that Microsoft mentions in their "news" section of FS2004?ThanksJD

Guest waltch

HiThis is really an important thread for me because it confirms a problem that I also have.My frames are limited at 20, which I easily get with VC, no panel ("W") or in spot view. With the 2D panel, however, they drop to 12-14 fps, no matter where I am, even on a small airport in Africa with almost no scenery around.Tried of course the 'TextureAGP=0' and 'PanelAsTexture=0' entries, however, on my system these make it even worse (10 fps in 2D panel).My system: AMD 1800XP, 512 MB RAM, GF3 Video Card 64MB, 45.23 Driver, WinXP Home Edition.I really hope that somebody finds the 'magic solution' for this problem.Walter

I am amazed to read this, since on my (middle of the road) system, the 2d panels create no trouble whatsoever.. although this may not make you feel much better, nor bring you closer to a resolution, this stuff can and does work on some systems..My specs, nothing out of the ordinary.. running WinXP:P4-2.4, 512 Meg PC2700, Ti4200-128 with 30.82 drivers, 2xAA and 4xAF.1280x960x32 video resolution.. locked at 25 fps.Scenery dense, autogen normal.Example, standard circuit at Meigs, high Cirrus clouds, 2d panel.Some add-ons like the Archer stay right at 25 from take-off to landing,others, like Cardinal fps 21 fps on runway, goes to 25 after takeoff.As a comparison, I get around 20-22 fps steady in FS2002 in the same situation.

Bert