Sign in to follow this  
toprob

got megascenery today

Guest otter55

ups delivered my megascenery cds about 2 hrs ago.install was effortless and only took about 10 minutesload time to start a flight is 55 seconds avg i reset all settings to what i was previously runningfps is unchangedscenery is really nice and worth every centreminds me of fu2 and 3 only with great autogendonp4 3.061 gig ramti 4600

I got mine today also. Fps are actually higher for me than the generic fs scenery.Since I grew up out there and have also flown there for real it was a must get for me-I am not disappointed!I think the scenery is great-I will soon be posting a few real/mega shots in the screen shot forum.For starts:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=78241&page=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest Ed_S

Im hoping mine is on the afternoon delivery today. Im glad this area was done because i live in that area and thats where i generaly fly. Except when i fly to the east coast to visit the folks LOL.Ed

The scenery sounds awsome. I understand the textures are only for summer and the reasons why this is. Can anyone tell me what you see if you do change to another season? Does the default kick in, or has it been completely replaced? I don't think one season textures are that big of deal for Southern California, but it would be an issue for me in the midwest or east coast if I can't change the season, even if just to the default.Tony

Once Fall arrives, it will be just one big gray textureless area. You will have to manually switch back to the summer season everytime you load FS2004 so get MegaScenery to work. So come winter when you want to fly in the east with the awesome real world weather that you now get in FS2004 to LAX, you can't unless you feel like having summer textures throughout the world with snow falling! Not very realistic.

Eric 

Hmmmm. Interesting about the load times. I had actually expected much worse based on my use of aerial images in FS2002.Thanks for the info.Allen

Geof,Did you instal yours over the default mesh, or do yourecommend installing higher resolution mesh?Peter Sydney Australia

Guest otter55

i had actually read of load times up to 3 minutes.mine is consistently 50-55 secondsdon

Guest Milamber

Do you know this? IE do you have it and tried this? Is this scenery not in the scenery library? Because if it is then you could just disable it during the winter to use the default.

Guest mrblutarsky

I have been using megascenery for a few days now and posted some screenies in the screenshot forum. It is awesome. Serious VFR now.

Guest sssummer

I installed Megascenery over FS Genesis 38M mesh and landclass. The installation was flawless, and it lines up perfectly (elevation wise) where Megascnery meets FS Genesis. My framerates are excellent, even with heavy clouds. As far as load times, if you have 'extended scenery' on, the load times can be 3-5 minutes (yuck) but for me its worth it if I am flying in daylight. Without extended scenery in the day, you can see blank light brown landscape between 20-40 miles out, depending on your system and visibility, and I just can't get past it, so it's extended scenery for me and it is spectacular! I run most of the settings maxed out.Only a few minor complaints1. Autogen scenery is misplaced in a few areas (such as in the middle of Santa Anita racetrack, but overall they do a good job of actually placing Autogen residential and commercial structures in the correct places. Some of the default structures placed by MS such as Dodger Staduim, Edison Field, Ships in harbors, etc are not in the correct place (but close) , but that is MS fault, not Megascenery. 2. Several users (myself included) have reported a straight thin blue line that runs from the ocean in Long Beach and over the top of the San Gabriel Mountains. It is somewhat visually distracting, and the developer says they cannot fix it. Something to do with MS. 3. If you have extended scenery on, and depending on other factors such as video card settings, etc, refresh rates for the scenery tiles sometimes is not instantaneous. For instance, the scenery is blurry, then comes into focus. This can last for less than a second, to several seconds, although many times its just fine.4. Only can fly in Megascenery with the season set to Summer. I can understand why the developer chose this, because of the immense amount of data (8 GB) and costs of development for all four seasons. The strange thing is, the satellite images Megascenery is comprised of are almost all from the wintertime (So Cal is a natural desert) and a great deal of the mountains are green (which occurs Jan-April) and there is some snow at the very highest elevations. This limited season may turn off some, especially when other areas are developed as they are more likely to have more variety of weather. Ladies and Gentleman, this is the future of flight simming. Once you fly over this scenery, it is very difficult to go back and fly the default over even FS Genesis and have the same immersion factor. It's that good. Some low and slow flyers have complained because of the washed out look you get below 2-3 thousand feet, but with autogen on at 100%, its still very good. At 4-5 thousand feet and higher, its exceptional!I can envision not too many years from now, MS offering similar scenery as default (wouldn't that be sweet), but having to divide the game into geographic areas and then maybe selling addons.

Guest PaulL01

>Once Fall arrives, it will be just one big gray textureless>area. You will have to manually switch back to the summer>season everytime you load FS2004 so get MegaScenery to work.>So come winter when you want to fly in the east with the>awesome real world weather that you now get in FS2004 to LAX,>you can't unless you feel like having summer textures>throughout the world with snow falling! Not very realistic.That doesn't sound right, I'm sure the folks at MegaScenery made the *.BGl to just load the single scenery texture set for all seasons as in FS you can do either. And no, this doesn't require the same textures to be renamed for all seasons.The only time you would be missing the textures is if the *.bgl >is< calling for all seasons without the seasonal textures.why did you state this?

Guest PaulL01

>4. Only can fly in Megascenery with the season set to Summer.> I can understand why the developer chose this, because of the>immense amount of data (8 GB) and costs of development for all>four seasons. The strange thing is, the satellite images>Megascenery is comprised of are almost all from the wintertime>(So Cal is a natural desert) and a great deal of the mountains>are green (which occurs Jan-April) and there is some snow at>the very highest elevations. This limited season may turn off>some, especially when other areas are developed as they are>more likely to have more variety of weather. >Hi,This doesn't make sense, I make similar photorealistic scenery using the same tools as MegaScenery and If I choose I can make the *.bgl file load a single season for all seasons as it is a programing choice, you sure you HAVE to run only Summer as season to see the scenery?

Hi Paul,in their forum, the developers seem to say, you'd have to duplicate the files with different suffices to make them load in additional seasons - see here: http://www.computerpilotforums.com/megafor...hp?showtopic=59If it's possible to create one .bgl file to get the same files to load regardless of the season, I'm sure the developers would be interested to hear from you - I'd like to know how it's done as well...:).Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg