Sign in to follow this  
gsand

Amazing tweak for FS9 on WinXP+Intel HT CPU

>have totally smooth>and fluid performance in all areas, with max autogen, sounds great but would like to know if you are running some complex panel/aircraft with those setting. Something like Flight1's Meridian or PMDG's 737 or even some PSS aircraft - a complex panel can really slow things down.Michael J.

Sorry Michael that is a good question. I only have the Beechjet 400A from ES and it performs the same way, though sometimes in switching views there is a slight delay in the texture loading in the aircraft, but it's very very brief. Frames and sim smoothness are same with the Beechjet.I am waiting for the patch for my Meridian and can't wait! I need a good heavy now too. What do you recommend as the best, but some kind of reasonable compromise with performance in a 737, 757, 747, etc . .Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I'd like to try the approach with the command syntax and have downloaded the imagecfg.exe file but have no idea where to put it in order to make it work. Has it to go into some windows XP subfolder? Many thanks for the help!Roland

If you put imagecfg.exe into your system32 folder it'll work everywhere.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Noel; It's much faster with HT disabled than enabled with FS9 trying to run across the vCPUs. But it's still a couple fps faster with HT enabled and the processor affinity setting...probably due to ancillary processes being run on the opposite vCPU by XP.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest product

Guys,Tried it last night (I have a P4 3.06 533) and both CPUs are working- but no improvement shown in performance.Could someone tell me how to check my Bios to see if Hyperthreading is enabled there? Sorry for the stupid question.Best,Joel

Guest RangerJack

>An even better way of constraining FS9 to run on a single>virtual CPU on an HT CPU is using the Microsoft IMAGECFG>utility (an older NT/2000 utility that works fine in XP -- do>a google search). Command syntax (in a Command window):>>IMAGECFG -a 0x1 fs9.exe>>This writes a processor affinity mask into the executable. >0x1 specifies virtual CPU 0, 0x2 specifies vCPU 1, and 0x3>uses both 0 & 1 (default). FS will always run on the>specified virtual CPU(s) from that point on.>>I have done the same to the other utilities I run on the>machine while FS is running, only restricting them to the>opposite vCPU.>Bob,Could you tell a newbie how to create this new command line as a shortcut? If you have time a walkthrough would help a ton. Thanks!Ranger

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Guys,I just wanted to give an fyi about my experience with my system and say that although I've seen these posts around about issues with H/T and FS2004, I didn't expect to see any difference on my system by either, disabling H/T or setting the processor affinity. I had noticed for a a time that whenever I pulled up TaskInfo2003(equivalent of the Task Manager) that only one of the logical processors was loaded by FS2004. But when I saw the post here about a performance increase in FS2004 for H/T enabled machines, I decided to go ahead and try it, even though I expected no change in performance. Sure enough, there was no change after setting a processor affinity. As far as disabling H/T in the BIOS, I didn't see in change in performance for FS2004 there either. But, I did have a problem when I first started using the RealityXP Garmin 530XP, which starts up a Garmin Trainer 500 helper application(it talks to the Garmin 530XP). This program is a 16-bit application. When I would load up a plane with this Garmin 530XP installed my FS2002/FS2004(take your pick, the 530XP has been made for both versions now) would slow to a crawl. At least when viewing complex scenery, such as a city, or mountains. It took my a while to figure out what the fix was, but it was to turn off H/T in the BIOS. I believe this has to do with the fact that the Garmin 500 Series Trainer uses the Windows XP 16-bit subsystem(emulation layer?). As soon as I turned off H/T in the BIOS I was back to normal in MSFS and could use the Garmin 530XP from RealityXP. Yeah! I was the original person to find the fix for this problem and now Jean Luc is telling folks in the RealityXP forum, that have H/T systems, that this is how to fix the problem. Again, this is the only time I have had an issue with H/T on my system.Cheers,Jim RichardsOne Tin Soldier

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Howard,i'm using BIOS 1006 (2003/07/24).Can you please tell me which BIOS page i have to run and enable HT?ThanksLuigi ;-)

Guest product

I tried the affinity tweak on my 3.06 533 last night, no difference in performance at all. Am I understanding correctly that the improvement takes effect only if you turn off Hyperthreading in the Bios?Best,Joel

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Joel,The only way the setting an affinity would even have any effect is if you have H/T enabled in the BIOS. Right now I have H/T disabled so I can run a plane with the RealityXP Garmin 530 if I want. When I open up the Task Manager right now I don't even have the option to set an affinity.Cheers,Jim

Guest jdrago

I have the Intel D875PBZ motheboard, and P4 3.2 GHZ processor all with HT. I tried this, and it seemed to have NO change. I'm glad it works for some.- JD

It's not a command line used to start FS...this will permanently write the processor affinity mask into the FS9 exe file...do it once, and it works every time FS starts.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.

Same here, no effect at all, even worse performance to be honest.But I am quite happy with my Radeon 9700, P4 2.6@3.25GHz, Abit IC-7.Lorenzo