Sign in to follow this  
Guest OneTinSoldier

need help low perf FS9

Hi all I know this has been beat to death but Ive exhausted all other avenues.I have a VPR matrix P4 2.2 GHZ machine with an intel chipset.Geforce 4 MX440 vid using the 27.42 drivers (Been reluctant to upgrade they have been fast and stable),soundblaster live ,512MB DDR ram. since install I have gotten 20FPS default at meigs at startup with very conservative slider settings. moving to ORD FPS drops to 11-13. after 5 mins of flight turning final I have seen FPS drop to 2-5 rendering the sim nearly unflyable. this scenario is true with default or addon acft. moving sliders left at this point has no effect on FPS.in flight even up at 350 turns are jerky/stuttering and frames often drop to near 11 (max at 21)FS2002 ran mid 20s all the time.I have had no crashes but after FS exit my system seems sluggish.DXDIAG shows no problems .I have heard many with this problem but I have also heard many with flawless perf.does anyone have any ideas ? I'm about out of them right now!Stan

I assume you have done the basics: update drivers, use directx 9, etc. Did you you try the fs9.cfg trick that has been discussed at length here? Search for topic "strange-video card performance answer?"

Some of us (me, particularly) have tried each and every "trick" and tweek. I can't fly this sim either. Either I have a mis-matched configuration or something else is going on. I have a P4 2.4Ghz 533 FSB w/ 768 Mb DDR333 SDRAM. I have a MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 8X AGP video card. I am using DirectX 9.0b. I also have a Soundblaster Live card. And, I am using Windows 98Se.I've tried everything. It's so frustrating to read all the "it's great" posts and not be able to duplicate it. I need a cold beer.. :-beerchug

Guest cwright

Stan, I have no solutions yet but I do have a similar problem. I recently received a new computer(XP2400+,512 Mb Ram, Radeon 9200 128 Mb, WinXP Home), and I was disappointed by the frame rate performance. After installing the latest ATI drivers I got approximately a 20% improvement - but the frame rates were still poor. Compared to my ancient 800 Mhz P3 with a GeForce 1 it is less than twice as fast. I would expect something like a 3-times improvement in frame rates at least. On the new 'puter a VB program ran a bit more than 4 times faster, which sounds about right. I suspect the problem lies with DX9. This is what I found: 1. The Orbiter space flight sim also showed frame rates barely twice as high - it uses DX. 2. IL-2 was ridiculous, with frame rates probably less than 3 FPS (that's not a typo!). However, when I switched to OpenGL I immediately got smooth, high frame rates. 3. When I rotated a complex object in Gmax it was jerky and slow. When I switched to OpenGL, just as in IL-2 it was fast and smooth. It's a shame FS2004 doesn't have an OpenGL option. From these observations I might well get much better frame rates. DXDiag shows no problems. I installed DX9a from the FS2004 disk. I re-installed, but no improvement. The next obvious thing might be to install DX9b, but I'm not very optimistic. Most likely the problem is specific to my computer, but it is also specific to DX, as OpenGL performs far, far better.... Best regards, Chris

Chris, I'm using DirectX9.0b. I think I'm looking at having to 1) purchase a new video card -- ATI 9800 Pro $299 and 2) installing WinXP Home -- $100 if I do it myself. That's another $400 just to play a $55 simulator. I'm going back to flying -- on FS2002. FS9 is going back into its Tin Can. I'm really highly disappointed. I just upgraded my PC last March to a 2.4G P4 (see specs below) and it just doesn't cut it with FS9. So much for those minimum requirements stated by M$.............. :-erks

Windows XP Home is now on order from newegg.com. After this upgrade, hopefully FS9 will perform much better. If not, it's definitely my video card. I'll have to wait until next March or so to upgrade it so, until then, FS9 will be a VFR sim for me. Maybe I can pick up aluminum cans on the side of the highway. :-lol

Before giving up FS9 entirely, try the following:1) Right click on the FS9 shortcut and copy it to the desktop.2) Right click on the copied shorcut, left click on properties3) Enter the following exactly as written into the "Target" box...%comspec% /C "start /HIGH fs9.exe"This will give FS9 the absolute highest priority over everything else that might be running in the background. In fact, you will have to minimize the FS9 window in order to even access the "Start" button... :)While this may not help everyone, it totally transformed my P4 2.6 GHz, 512MB, w/ FX5200 machine from a moribund and miserable 6-12 fps to a rock solid 20 fps "screamer" with no other changes. I now have ZERO "stutters" and nearly instantaneous texture updates when switching views!By creating a copy of the shortcut on the desktop, you can easily start FS9 "default" or "priority" to better compare the results of other tweaks to the sim's parameters.BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Steve,I have asked this of you before, why do not want to run Windows XP? One of the symptoms is slowing performace, which could be caused by memory mis-management or a HDD frag problem.As I mentioned to you several weeks ago, my system is below yours, P4 1.7ghz, 512RAMBUS, nVidia GF4 4200Ti/64 AGP running Windows XP, Direct X9b and I am getting very good fps 15+, running the new PMDG 737NG which is a highly complex panel and plane.Windows XP, is vastly superior to older OS's. IMHO, if you upgrade your OS, you may see a signficant improvement in FS9.CheersBob

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Bob. How ya doing? ;) I just wanted to say I have a little bit of a slow down too. Only in Urban areas. When I am in/near, or look at a city, my frame rate drops considerably. Otherwise, when flying th PMDG 737 I get a an fps that jumps around some, but stay up towards my lock of 22.Jim

Bob, Win XP is on order and I'll have 1Gb of DDR333 to put with it. Should scream (I hope)....

>Bill,> That's just for XP, right?Yes, that is for WinXP...I was a bit skeptical when it was suggested to me, but I thought... "What the heck! It only takes a few seconds to check it out!"I was and am still flabbergasted. I can assure you, my flabber rarely gets gasted. :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest simnut

Steve....have you tried fs WITHOUT your soundblaster live installed, both card and drivers? Microsoft has on their website that these cards CAN cause a problem .... even the perverbial memory leak. If it's not too much a problem, give that a try.....and let us know.....I don't know you much at all, but your're the guy I want most to get FS2004 happenin...you got the equipment to do it!Harry

Hi Guys thanks for all the advice...there is a large thread at the fs2002 forum at"the other flightsim site" regarding this problem.It seems to be a DX9/FS9 memory leak and I believe it is widespread enough for MS to get involvedI hope for a quick resolution!Stan