Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

The Passing of B52drivr - Clay Dopke

(Copied from the FS9 Forum)This morning, Clay Dopke, also known here as B52drivr, passed away.Air Force Major (ret.) Clayton Dopke flew B52s in Vietnam and later went on to fly B727s for the U.S. Government. Clay was also an avid car buff and owned a Porsche repair shop and loved fixing them as he loved racing them. Clay eventually settled down in Mississippi where he owned a horse farm and raised and sold horses. He lived a quiet life and was in the process of writing a novel "No Sympathy for the Devil." Clay loved flight simming and being a part of this community where he was very active on these forums and as a subject matter expert to multiple 3rd party developers. He was seldom seen around lately due to his ill health. Clay passed away this morning after a long battle with lung disease. Clay was my dear, dear friend.His wife Kathy emailed me this morning and told me that he boarded his last flight that took him on a flight plan that we cannot follow. He is survived by his wife and loving children. His funeral arrangements are not yet made but if you wish to pass on condolences to his family please email me at michael(at)toussaintonline(dot)net.Clay my friend, you are cleared for takeoff, direct at pilot's descretion, no speed restrictions, winds calm. Good Day. I will miss you.Your loving friend,Mike T.

Although I never engaged Clay in any conversation, I did enjoy reading his posts and suggestions. I didn't even know that he was ill. My prayers are offered for his loved ones.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

(Copied from the FS9 Forum)This morning, Clay Dopke, also known here as B52drivr, passed away.Air Force Major (ret.) Clayton Dopke flew B52s in Vietnam and later went on to fly B727s for the U.S. Government. Clay was also an avid car buff and owned a Porsche repair shop and loved fixing them as he loved racing them. Clay eventually settled down in Mississippi where he owned a horse farm and raised and sold horses. He lived a quiet life and was in the process of writing a novel "No Sympathy for the Devil." Clay loved flight simming and being a part of this community where he was very active on these forums and as a subject matter expert to multiple 3rd party developers. He was seldom seen around lately due to his ill health. Clay passed away this morning after a long battle with lung disease. Clay was my dear, dear friend.His wife Kathy emailed me this morning and told me that he boarded his last flight that took him on a flight plan that we cannot follow. He is survived by his wife and loving children. His funeral arrangements are not yet made but if you wish to pass on condolences to his family please email me at michael(at)toussaintonline(dot)net.Clay my friend, you are cleared for takeoff, direct at pilot's descretion, no speed restrictions, winds calm. Good Day. I will miss you.Your loving friend,Mike T.
Clay was one of the most enjoyable fellows I've ever met. Always helpful and gracious. Godspeed Clay.:(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I enjoyed Clay's posts. He will be missed. My sincere condolences to his family.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I enjoyed Clay's posts. He will be missed. My sincere condolences to his family.Vic
Yes, please pass on our respects to Clay's family.Kind regards,

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of EarthAnd danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirthOf sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred thingsYou have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swungHigh in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,I've chased the shouting wind along, and flungMy eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blueI've topped the wind-swept heights with easy graceWhere never lark, or ever eagle flew —And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trodThe high untrespassed sanctity of space,Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Jay

Sorry to hear this. I too enjoyed his posts.Condolences to the family.Rob

Clay was one of the most memorable people I've met in these forums. May he find blue skies and fly with the angels!

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Clay was a good friend who we corresponded with frequently over the years. He was a fervent member of the AVSIM family and never failed to offer a helpful suggestion for our improvement. He was a member of these forums from the earliest days of their existence. I, and the AVSIM Staff are truly sorry to hear of his passing. He will be missed as an active member of our family and community. Mike, please pass on our condolances to his family for us.

Guest firehawk44

Always sad to see a fellow veteran pass on. I thank him for his service! My condolences to his family!Jim

I've read, enjoyed and appreciated his posts here for years. I'll miss him. Godspeed.Alan

I'm very sorry to hear of Clay's passing, I have known him on these forums for a long time. Please forward my condolences to his loved ones, Mike. Bruce.

What a shock... Clay was a beta tester for us at PMDG for many years and I had no idea he was as sick as he evidently was. Great guy and just filled with amazing stories from his adventures in aviation over the years. B-52s, 727s, MD-11s - he did it all. He will be greatly missed by the simming community.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com