Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

full power on takeoff?

a friend of mine were doing some multi-playing shared cockpit in FSX with the Carenado C185 tundrawhen my friend took off he only applied throttle up to the green arc, where as for me I always apply full power.so who is correct?and why? or is it ok for both procedures?

Ciao!

a friend of mine were doing some multi-playing shared cockpit in FSX with the Carenado C185 tundrawhen my friend took off he only applied throttle up to the green arc, where as for me I always apply full power.so who is correct?and why? or is it ok for both procedures?
.For something like a C185 you would likely be shooting for the highest power setting you can achieve, or red-line. With a constant speed prop (Cessna 185) Power=MP (NOT propeller RPM). This would put the prop on red-line, and as per the manual you would reduce your manifold pressure and RPM for the climbout........Or not...... Depends on the airplane.For the sake of simplicity though, and without knowing the Cessna 185, there's a very high chance that full-power (Red-line or full throttle, whichever is first) is used for take-off. Infact I've yet to see a prop driven airplane where you use any setting other than full power for the initial takeoff. (That isn't to say I doubt one exists though! Big%20Grin.gif)This is also why a POH is Required by law to be in the aircraft. (When flying in real life)

It's recommended and mostly good practice to use ALL available power for takeoff.However.. It's situational thing. If you're sitting on a 5000 foot runway, in a 235hp Skylane, all by yourself, no baggage and a light fuel load; 25/2500 will launch you off the runway quickly, and quite safely B)And.. a full-power takeoff roll in WWII fighter will get you into trouble, quite quickly too.

You are correct. The Cessna 180/185 POH's (I went through both) state the same thing in Normal Procedures for Normal Takeoff and Short Field Takeoff:Power: FULL THROTTLE and 2400 RPM. During climb you reduce to 23" and 2400RPM

It's worth noting that, in a flight simulator, you can apply any amount of power that you want :(

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's worth noting that, in a flight simulator, you can apply any amount of power that you want :(
Not if you are running one of the Accusim aircraft! This will have consequences!!

It's recommended and mostly good practice to use ALL available power for takeoff.However.. It's situational thing. If you're sitting on a 5000 foot runway, in a 235hp Skylane, all by yourself, no baggage and a light fuel load; 25/2500 will launch you off the runway quickly, and quite safely B)And.. a full-power takeoff roll in WWII fighter will get you into trouble, quite quickly too.
It's not necessarily full power that will get you into trouble in a WWII fighter, it was rather how quickly power was applied that determined whether or not you got into trouble.