Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus1

Enhance Landing Light Quality

Hi to @ll,I use REX 2.0 Overdrive for all my textures, and I do not know if this texture or effect is from REX. When flying at night with active landing lights, they light also on ground because I have activated this option within FSX. See example (click to zoom in):2010-9-22_23-47-0-4190og0.jpg2010-9-20_1-0-58-595otq6.jpg2010-9-13_23-45-30-256vob7.jpgYou can see that the blending of this light is very bad, as I realize the different light levels of this blending. I would like to have a smoother transition (blending). Anybody knows how to fix/enhance that?Thanks in advance,Pegasus.

Hi Pegasus,That could very easily be the quality of the texture. Go to the FSX\Texture folder and right click on the file spotlight.bmp and select 'properties' from the menu.See what the file size is then click on the 'details' tab. There may not be dimension or bit depth information if the texture is DXT format. Let me know.I would be happy to make a good quality version of your texture, it wont take long, just email it to me. :( David.

Open in Irfanview and viewed the picture details:clipboard01nuwv.jpgPlease tell me where to send you this file. Would be great if you could enhance it, maybe you can do some varietys also with the intension of the spotlight (a bit more lighter). :)Thanks in advance,Pegasus.

What you're screenshot shows is called "gradient banding," and is an artifact that can be mitigated somewhat by adding some "noise" and/or "gaussian blur" to the image via Photoshop filters.Alternatively, using Photoshop you can use the "Texturizer" filter to add some "canvas texture" to the image.The net result of any of the above is that the sharp "edges" of the gradient bands is broken up and softened so they blend together better.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When I open spotlight.bmp with Photoshop it shows me this picture:spotlight2jof.jpgWhat the hell is goin' on there??? What's that??? :) Should I just use Gauss filter over that? How strong?

Thats OK pegasus, photoshop always displays DXT bitmaps that way.Fr Bill is right, the dithering of the texture was either made badly or compressed badly later. Rather than fixing it with some noise ill whip you up a new one.email:drunderscoresimattpgdotcomdotauDavid.