Sign in to follow this  
Guest morpheous

networking computers

Guest morpheous

Hello,Does anyone know how to get a server computer, (computer no 1) that has FSX installed on it to share the FSX folder with a second computer? I have two computers networked together but the client computer (computer no 2) can only access files that are on the public folder of the server computer. I am running windows 7 on the server and have windows xp on the older second computer. I'ver tried to google the answer but it's not clear. No matter what I try I can not share the files from the Program Files (x86) folder that FSX is stored on. I would like to run third party software such as flightsim commander and radar contact off the second computer.thanksJim Vasto

Where did you install FSX? If you chose the default folder (i.e. c;\program files(86) etc), you're going to have a problem. In Windows 7 the program files folder is protected and can cause probs when trying to access it from another computer. Reinstall into something like c:\fsx After that, load up Windows Explorer, hilight the FSX folder and right click. Click properties and choose the sharing tab. Click the Share button. In the dropdown box choose Everyone. Click Share. Click Advance Sharing->Permissions and choose Add. Click Advanced->Find Now and hilight Everyone. Click OK. Everyone should be listed under your group names box at the top of the window. Hilight Everyone and checkmark Full Control. Close each window and that should work. Works for me. No promises on your machine tho. :-)-Rick

This is the way I do it, I run W7 & XP, find the folder you want to share on W7 in your case you probably want to share your fsx folder, Right click, Properties, Sharing Tab, Advance Sharing, click the Share this Folder, Permissions, Click Full Control then Apply. Now go over to your XP computer, Open up Windows Explorer, go to Tools, then select Map Network Drive then you type in \\Your FSX Computer Name\Name of the folder your shared Mine looks like this: \\ian\fsx thats it.

Guest morpheous
Where did you install FSX? If you chose the default folder (i.e. c;\program files(86) etc), you're going to have a problem. In Windows 7 the program files folder is protected and can cause probs when trying to access it from another computer. Reinstall into something like c:\fsx After that, load up Windows Explorer, hilight the FSX folder and right click. Click properties and choose the sharing tab. Click the Share button. In the dropdown box choose Everyone. Click Share. Click Advance Sharing->Permissions and choose Add. Click Advanced->Find Now and hilight Everyone. Click OK. Everyone should be listed under your group names box at the top of the window. Hilight Everyone and checkmark Full Control. Close each window and that should work. Works for me. No promises on your machine tho. :-)-Rick
I was afraid that might be the case, I have quite a few addons that I've configured now for FSX so looks like I would have to reinstall all of them? i.e UTX, ASE, PMdg J41 etc. is there no way to access the default file location?Jim

Guest morpheous
This is the way I do it, I run W7 & XP, find the folder you want to share on W7 in your case you probably want to share your fsx folder, Right click, Properties, Sharing Tab, Advance Sharing, click the Share this Folder, Permissions, Click Full Control then Apply. Now go over to your XP computer, Open up Windows Explorer, go to Tools, then select Map Network Drive then you type in \\Your FSX Computer Name\Name of the folder your shared Mine looks like this: \\ian\fsx thats it.
I just tried that and I still get an "Access is denied" message when I try to access the folderJim v

I just tried that and I still get an "Access is denied" message when I try to access the folderJim v
Its hard to do this over a forum without actually seeing your setup, Im better at doing and horrible at explainingBig%20Grin.gif Anyways here is a link that may or may not prove usefulhttp://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/I do agree with bigrick though, that fsx should not be installed in the default folder I think you could move it and run the flight1 registry repair tool but Im not 100% on that. PS can you share anyother folder from a different location????Good luck!

Guest morpheous
Its hard to do this over a forum without actually seeing your setup, Im better at doing and horrible at explainingBig%20Grin.gif Anyways here is a link that may or may not prove usefulhttp://www.howtogeek...ndows-7-and-xp/I do agree with bigrick though, that fsx should not be installed in the default folder I think you could move it and run the flight1 registry repair tool but Im not 100% on that. PS can you share anyother folder from a different location????Good luck!
Yes I can share almost any other folder on the c: drive except files located in the Program Files (x86) or Program Files folders. Looks like a reinstall is in order. Can anyone shed some light on any pitfalls of uninstalling FSX and reinstalling on the root c: drive? I have plenty of addons.. UTX, GEX, ASA, pmdg J41 with fs2crew, radar contact, REX, EZDOK, Flightsim commander, FTX PNL, Do all these addons have to be reinstalled also?