Sign in to follow this  
rightseater

Adding static aircraft to object placement tool

Can someone please tell me where to put the files for static aircraft so that I can add them to FSX scenery using the object placement tool in the SDK? I downloaded several static aircraft from http://www.okad.ca/cvq/modeles.php, and I tried to understand the installation procedure, but I'm a little lost. Any help much appreciated.

Can someone please tell me where to put the files for static aircraft so that I can add them to FSX scenery using the object placement tool in the SDK? I downloaded several static aircraft from http://www.okad.ca/cvq/modeles.php, and I tried to understand the installation procedure, but I'm a little lost. Any help much appreciated.
Did you get their instruction manual?http://www.jpfil.com/scenes_FSX/install_static.phpThat is not how I would do it however. I much prefer to create "object Libraries" since the packages contain mdl files.The library creator utility comes with the EZ and/or Instant Scenery Object placing programs.I assume it can also be done with the SDK placement tool but I have never tried it.

Did you get their instruction manual?http://www.jpfil.com...tall_static.phpThat is not how I would do it however. I much prefer to create "object Libraries" since the packages contain mdl files.The library creator utility comes with the EZ and/or Instant Scenery Object placing programs.I assume it can also be done with the SDK placement tool but I have never tried it.
It sounds like I'm in a bit over my head. I thought I would just be able to move the files in the downloads somewhere in my scenery folders and then access them by use of the object placement tool.

It sounds like I'm in a bit over my head. I thought I would just be able to move the files in the downloads somewhere in my scenery folders and then access them by use of the object placement tool.
The documentation I referred to is pretty straightforward, telling how to edit the xml file and then compile a scenery bgl from it.As I said, I have tried the tool which comes with FS so cannot comment on how well it may work.

The documentation I referred to is pretty straightforward, telling how to edit the xml file and then compile a scenery bgl from it.As I said, I have tried the tool which comes with FS so cannot comment on well it may work.
Yea, I read through that tutorial, but the process of manually editing each XML file is probably a bit more than I'm interested in.......that is assuming I interpreted the document correctly. I was going to use up to 100 static aircraft for scenery I'm working on.

Yea, I read through that tutorial, but the process of manually editing each XML file is probably a bit more than I'm interested in.......that is assuming I interpreted the document correctly. I was going to use up to 100 static aircraft for scenery I'm working on.
That is precisely why I much prefer to use an Object Placing program such as EZ or Instant Scenery (both are reasonably priced payware).Once you have created the "library or libraries" of the various models you wish to use, placing the objects in your scenery is a breeze.One can also use ADE9X to place objects from libraries also.Good luck on your project no matter which method you finally decide to use.

That is precisely why I much prefer to use an Object Placing program such as EZ or Instant Scenery (both are reasonably priced payware).Once you have created the "library or libraries" of the various models you wish to use, placing the objects in your scenery is a breeze.One can also use ADE9X to place objects from libraries also.Good luck on your project no matter which method you finally decide to use.
That's right, I forgot that ADE lets you place objects. Thanks David, that will solve my problems and be even faster than using the object placement tool. *EDIT* Except now I can't seem to add new scenery objects to ADE.......maybe I should try my luck at repainting.

*EDIT* Except now I can't seem to add new scenery objects to ADE.......maybe I should try my luck at repainting.
I think we need a bit more information. With ADE you can add objects as mdl file or as library objects.

I think we need a bit more information. With ADE you can add objects as mdl file or as library objects.
I just got that figured out. I had an older version of ADE, so I just updated to 1.47.07 and read the manual. It's definitely easy to add static aircraft by using the model list feature. The only problem I have is that a few of the aircraft don't show up completely, i.e. missing the fuselage or landing gears. And a couple of them have all black textures. Perhaps an issue with the .mdl?

I just got that figured out. I had an older version of ADE, so I just updated to 1.47.07 and read the manual. It's definitely easy to add static aircraft by using the model list feature. The only problem I have is that a few of the aircraft don't show up completely, i.e. missing the fuselage or landing gears. And a couple of them have all black textures. Perhaps an issue with the .mdl?
Yes that will be the mdl file. It is quite common to see that sort of problem. The other way to deal with it is to use AI aircraft and flight plans that mean they generally don't move. There is a tutorial on how to do that as I recall